Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
michelleag

Drives: 2012 Camaro and 1969 Camaro
Looking at a 2001 SS

I am looking at a 2001 Camaro SS with 160,000 miles on it.The body is in good shape with no rust and a few small dings in the passenger side door.Seller wants $2,000.00 for it with a blown up LS1,has a 3 inch hole in the block and looked under the underneath seeing the hole.The seller's son hot rodded with a rod knock driving it this way and the madman got out.I am planning to use this car as a drag car using an LS1.Luckily I do have a 2001 LS1 with a top end noise I bought as a core in my back room from a junk yard I go to.Has the 6 speed and I know how the engine comes out.I know it comes out from the bottom and I do have a hoist at my home workshop,done one so far.I offered him a grand and turned it down.It will be another project in the winter if I get it.Is a grand a good price?
michelleag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleag View Post
I am looking at a 2001 Camaro SS with 160,000 miles on it.The body is in good shape with no rust and a few small dings in the passenger side door.Seller wants $2,000.00 for it with a blown up LS1,has a 3 inch hole in the block and looked under the underneath seeing the hole.The seller's son hot rodded with a rod knock driving it this way and the madman got out.I am planning to use this car as a drag car using an LS1.Luckily I do have a 2001 LS1 with a top end noise I bought as a core in my back room from a junk yard I go to.Has the 6 speed and I know how the engine comes out.I know it comes out from the bottom and I do have a hoist at my home workshop,done one so far.I offered him a grand and turned it down.It will be another project in the winter if I get it.Is a grand a good price?

If he rodded it, a grand is a fair price. You don't know what else could have been warped/torn up due to racing. Could start as an engine swap and lead to redoing bushings, mounts, suspension, electronics..

He'd be better off parting it out if he wanted something more out of a rolling chassis with 160K on it. If it were say.. 80K I could see 2K coming out of it.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
michelleag

The seller's son lightly hot rodded doing burnouts and warned him it was going to blow up last week with the rods pounding.If the rods did not go through the block,I could of saved it.The rear end was gone through 5 weeks ago,I seen the reciept on this including the rear brake pads replaced.The interior is spotless too,no rips or tears.The car is too nice to part out and the seller called me back,he is finally considering the grand offer I gave him.His son,16 years old is begging not to sell it and to fix it.His son got pinched for 2 speeding tickets with it.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Id offer no more than 1k
Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
michelleag

I bought it for a grand and his son was not too happy.Called me back and said it was mine for a grand.Going over with a grand cash and a car trailer attached to my truck tonight to pick it up.My 3rd camaro and is going to a good home.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleag View Post
I bought it for a grand and his son was not too happy.Called me back and said it was mine for a grand.Going over with a grand cash and a car trailer attached to my truck tonight to pick it up.My 3rd camaro and is going to a good home.
Nice! Always good to just wave the cash and hold out until they cave. Money talks 99.9% of the time.

Now to take the LS1 and build a stroker!
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
take some pics
remember $$$ talks and walks
Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
michelleag

Luckily I have the 2001 LS1 in my back room with no holes in the block with a top end noise,I am going to stroke it.I can salvage the good parts off the blown up LS1.Probally will work on it in October and I do have a rolling jig I made that goes under the frame section just for removal of the LS1s out of camaros,Firebirds and and trans ams.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Where are the pics?!! Interested in seeing your new project
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
michelleag

I have been busy taking it easy.I have not taken pictures yet.I bought a good one,no damage underneath and did check this when I raised it up with my hoist.I have so many projects including a couple off the side jobs I have get done first.First thing I have plans to do is a roll cage.I decided this will be a street/drag car to kill blue oval disease aka Ford mustangs with.