Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #99
CARiD

Drives: Camaro 2010 SS/RS
great project! We'd like to feature it in our special project. I PM'd you the details, let me know what you think about it.

Thanks.
Julia C
CARiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #100
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
UPDATE!

I haven't posted in here in a while, but I have made some modifications. I have since added Solo J pipes (pictures to come) to my exhaust system, and I decided to order a replacement "oil" air filter to replace my "dry" filter from Roto-Fab.

OLD FILTER

NEW FILTER (The new filter is "slightly" bigger than the old one)
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #101
LS3 SS

I also ordered the ABL Dash lighting kit from Gen5Diy.com. Ofer's ABL kit with the plug n play harness is one of the best kits I've ever seen on the market.

The Plug N Play harness that plugs into the 4 pack gauges, allowing you to draw power from the ABL wires without tapping into any wires.

ABL Light pipe (ice blue)

Harness plugged in

The female connectors that plug into the light pipe harnesses
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #102
LS3 SS

So far I only mocked up the driver's side, and fished the wire through the dash to plug it up. I still have to modify the dash panel to make sure the light pipe fits properly and has the lighting effect it's supposed to :

Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #103
LS3 SS

UPDATE : Although I don't have pictures, I successfully finished the ABL Dash lighting mod from the kit I ordered from Gen5DIY.

I'm not sure if this embedded video has been done properly, I've been trying to figure out the correct way to do it since I joined these forums, lol.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #104
LS3 SS

UPDATE : To date this project will be my biggest thus far on the Camaro. It took a lot of deciding and going back and forth on my decisions to finally come to a conclusion on what I wanted to do.

I've always been big on F/I setups on cars, just because of the "power per dollar" factor. But as most of you know, with newer cars, the F/I kits aren't exactly "cheap". I kept having to decide what my goals were if I went with a P/D Blower setup, and was it actually going to be "cost effective" for what my plans are with the car?

After thinking about it, and talking to many forum members, I decided that I would not go the F/I route. I decided I would do something different from 90% of the Camaros in my area (and the areas I've been in) and go with a Mild street cam with Electric Cutouts.

I decided with this setup, because I spend more time driving the car to work and around town, than perfromance driving, and it would basically be a "cruising and fun factor" setup for my car.

Well I talked with Litle88, Nightmare2012, Darth Emma, as well as TSP about a good setup, and this is what I came up with :

TSP Cam 229/236 .624 / 615" LSA 112
BTR Chromoly pushrods
BTR Platinum Dual valve springs
LS2 Damper
3 Bolt Cam conversion kit
Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade Kit
Melling 10296 H/V OP
Cloyes C5R Timing Chain Set
Powerbond 25% UDP

My goals for this setup are 465 rwhp to 475rwhp. I'm only adding electric cutouts for the sound and fun factor of driving around a loud cammed car. So far these are the parts that have come in :

And I also ordered the melling 10296 this morning from BTR (Brian Tooley Racing), as the pricing and free shipping was better when compared to other websites. MORE UPDATES TO COME!

Last edited by LS3 SS; 04-06-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #105
LS3 SS

UDPATE : My Melling 10296 High Volume Oil pump came in today from BTR :

I also pulled the trigger on a Cloyes Billet C5R Timing chain set and SLP/Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley from Texas Speed & Performance this afternoon.

The final items I need for the swap are :

TSP Cam
BTR Pushrods
BTR Valve Spring kit
NGK TR5's
MSD 8.5mm wires
Joe Gibbs LS30 motor oil

Last edited by LS3 SS; 04-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #106
LS3 SS

UPDATE :

My SLP 25% UDP and Cloyes C5R Timing Chain set came in today. I also ordered a spare Oil pump o-ring for "just in case" reasoning :

As you can see, I wasn't too happy with the packaging of the timing chain set. When I opened the box, the chain had broken out of it's original box, and was just laying inside of the Cloyes box.

At this point I decided to add an extra peace of mind, and inspect the chain for damage, and authenticity. I had heard that companies were selling "Fake" C5R chains, and passing them off as the real deal. Until someone's chain snaps (causing lots of chaos) and there's nothing that can be done because there's no "warranty".

For those of you looking to buy a C5R chain, what you're looking for is the product to be Made in GERMANY. You are also looking for the Chain to say JWIS, not IWIS (the lower end of the company). Last, the part number on the C5-R Chain should read : G68V-2. If your chain does not have these characteristics, PUT IT ON YOUR CAR AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Here is a picture of the Chain, and the box with the part number :

Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #107
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Looks good bud!!!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #108
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Looks good bud!!!
Thanks!

I definitely learned a lot just looking at some of your posts in the V8 section, and the few conversations between PMs. I'm still in the process of learning more, but it's definitely a good feeling to know that I was pointed in the correct direction the first time to put my build together properly.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #109
LS3 SS

UPDATE : A few more parts came in that I ordered last week :

I went ahead and installed the new Spark plug wires, makes the engine bay look slightly better over stock :

I was able to have my QTP cutouts welded and I did the wiring today, I will have pictures tommorow. I didn't take pictures or video today because the shop who welded them welded them at an angle, and gave me almost zero ground clearance when driving around normally. This is not acceptable, and I will have them re-weld them tommorow morning.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #110
LS3 SS

Ok, here is the finished product of my QTP electric cutouts :

These are VERY fun to have. I have the switch mounted right by the side of the center console, next to the shifter.

Here is the rear section of my exhaust setup, custom resonators installed with the J pipes (makes the car extremely quiet for long trips and highway drives) :

Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #111
LS3 SS

UPDATE : My BTR Valve springs finally came in from Tick performance. Sadly to say, I probably won't be purchasing anything from them in the future. Here's what went wrong with my buying experience through them :

1. I ordered the BTR Platinum Valve springs on April 12th (which was a friday, I know that they weren't going to ship until monday), but the springs didn't even ship on Monday. They sat in a "awaiting shipment status" for another week, and then finally shipped. That means they were drop shipped, in which I could have bought them from another retailer and probably would have had better results.

2. When the springs were shipped, they were shipped via USPS, which I absolutely can't stand. USPS is the cheapest way to ship an item, and usually results in your package getting damaged.

3. When I ordered the BTR Platinum 660' lift springs, I ordered the P/N SK001. When I opened the box and looked at the box the springs came in, it had the P/N BTR-SK-003 (Extreme Lift springs). This made me angry, because they took my money, gave me a product that I didn't initially order, and thought that the customer wouldn't notice. Luckily I did my research and found out there is virtually no difference between the two types of springs (because the coating material on the spring itself), and didn't have to send them back. Moral of the story? Make sure you choose wisely who you order parts from :

Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #112
LS3 SS

Here is a quick video of my QTP Electric cutouts. Pardon my camera for the auto adjust of the sound volume.