Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
Black Car word of advice

The more you wash it, Polish it, Wax it, anything coming into contact with it such as with wipeing it down with anything is going to cause very small markings in the paint. Do not wipe in circles. wipe in horizonal movements lightly back and forth. Or ( Very time consuming) Blotting surface dry. Rubbing in circle will create circular marks in the paint and is very noticable in the sun. Back and forth movements will create straight lines in the paint and are very much less noticeable. Get your self a Car duster and use that going over the car very lightly to remove dust. The more you play around washing and such the more slight marks you will have.

I have a Carbon Flash Metalic paint job and some auto body experiance. Just trying to help you guys
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
That's why they say a black car is not a hobby, but a career. But nothing looks nicer than a swirl free black car.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Kuffs

Drives: Black 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
+1

2011 Black Camaro, IOM painted rally stripes, MRT V1 axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, IOM painted calipers, bowties and Camaro badges, 20" black powder coated wheels with custom made center caps.
Kuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You can't achieve perfection with a black car. It's impossible. And if you do, you better store it in a bubble never to be driven again, because the next time you f*ck with it, you'll start marring it and adding swirls.

I polish once a year with a fine cut polish and pad, and yes, I'll admit, by the time it comes to polish again I have some swirls. Nothing severe, though. If you drive a black car more often than NEVER, you're going to have to develop some degree of tolerance for imperfections.

Look at it this way: they don't show as bad throughout MOST of the day. Swirls are at their worse not when the sun is right above it, but when the sun is facing it (i.e. early morning or late afternoon).

All in all, it comes in sync with your use of the car. Unless it's a trailer queen (even a weekend warrior will have to be washed at some point), you're going to get imperfections after time. The trick is to minimize their occurrence. You'll get far less swirls through chronic two-bucket washing with quality media and product than you will through chronic one bucket washing with a terry cloth towel and dish soap.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
XQIZT
Adam's Distributor

Drives: 1988 Base Coupe, 1991 Z28
Black cars ARE a challenge, no doubt. However, there is a common misconception that swirls marks are induced more by circular wiping vs straight line wiping. That's not entirely the case. Swirl marks APPEAR circular, but the reality is that they are made up of hundreds of straight line microscratches in different directions. Next time you see swirls, try to follow an individual mark. You'll see that it continues on.

Swirls/microscratching are caused by anything getting under your wash pad, polishing pad, microfiber or waxing pad, regardless of what direction you move in.

The best way to prevent swirls is to use a 2 bucket wash method and high quality microfiber towels that lift particles away from the paint. Air drying instead of towel trying will also help. Also, do everything you can to not touch your paint if you don't have to.

Black cars CAN be perfect, with enough time and good technique. We usually demonstrate on black cars to prove it.

Florida's Distributor of Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Same Prices and Fast Delivery
Call or text at 407-257-9604 ~ Email at mike@xqizt-automotive.com ~ Facebook.com/XQIZTAUTO
XQIZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
FLYBOY

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS A6
I do a thorough 2 bucket wash and wax about 2 -3 times from spring thru fall. The rest of the time, it's using the wand at the car wash and then hit the highway to dry it off.
FLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
That's why they say a black car is not a hobby, but a career. But nothing looks nicer than a swirl free black car.
Oh - That's FUNNY - Not a hobby, but a Career!

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
Oh - That's FUNNY - Not a hobby, but a Career!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Coltrane
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
I do a thorough 2 bucket wash and wax about 2 -3 times from spring thru fall. The rest of the time, it's using the wand at the car wash and then hit the highway to dry it off.
Not good at all.
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Having a Black Beauty is a part time job with alot of labor of love for it.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
That's why they say a black car is not a hobby, but a career.
Well put. I have had several black vehicles and I really doubt I will ever have another.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote