Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
AMERICANMADE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Motor oil wear test rankings

Being concerned about oil pump failures and reading posts regarding which oils are best for our more aggressive cam set ups, I have spent some time attempting to convince myself what oil I should really be using. I would recommend everyone look into what is actually tested out there by someone not associated with a specific manufacturer. We all know everyone says their product is the best! That said, I did find an internet post that does lend food for thought by an individual that claims to be a testing engineer that doesn't appear to carry any product endorsements. I was looking into the issue of zinc content of specific formulas when I came across this:

http//540ratblog.wordpress.com/.../20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking

Sorry, couldn't get a link tied here correctly so you will have to search this address. Maybe someone else can locate it and create a proper link from post here. It's a long read but interesting regarding ZDDP and zinc additives. If you decide it sounds like legitimate info, those banging on Mobile 1 might rethink their position. It may also be that those with the higher zinc preference should quit using zinc additives in their oil. It could be they are reducing the wear capabilities of their high performance oil and don't even realize it. Not trying to suggest anything, just looking for facts.
AMERICANMADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
This?
http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013...-test-ranking/
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
AMERICANMADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Yes, thank you.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Thumbs down

I would expect a credible article on this subject would be accompanied by a named author, with referenced research bibliography and peer reviewed.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
AMERICANMADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
I would expect a credible article on this subject would be accompanied by a named author, with referenced research bibliography and peer reviewed.
I agree totally with your comment. It surprises me that I was unable to find a lot of real world product testing on motor oils. I suppose the process isn't something easily done without big expense or manufacturer support which then would make me question the credibility. If someone can find good scientific independent third party testing, I would love to see it.