Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
key recall again?

My dealer called me and said Onstar called THEM and said to have my keys done-what? really? They called you?I threw out the dealers recll notice long ago and said no not at this time-really never.I love the flip keys-whats the next trick?
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
i was at the dealer for another issue and i saw the key that they replace with. yuck! they said that you stay with the fob but have to use a separate key for the ignition . NO thank you
rozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Pass!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
I really don't understand the recall at all. I went in about two weeks ago to have an oil change done, and to see why my check engine light was on, and they asked if I wanted the recall. I said no way, but they said it had to be done, or at least show that it was done on the paperwork or something. I said ok, as long as I keep my switchblade key. So I had my oil change done, engine light taken care of, and got to keep my switchblade, while getting two regular non key fob keys to keep as spares.

So what exactly was the recall for if you can decline it? How is it a problem with the keys, and not the ignition? Wouldn't you still be able to bump the regular key and cause the car to shut off?

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I done forgot about the recall. I have a hard time believing Onstar calling a dealership! Now I have to start a parking thread, to get some laughs!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
el-guapin
Trust No One!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
This is a feature where Onstar monitors your vehicle stats and sends a report to the preferred dealer. If any issues are detected, the dealer will contact you to schedule an appointment. Onstar also monitors whether any active recalls have /have not being performed. I turned that feature OFF.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJozz View Post
I said no way, but they said it had to be done...
That is erroneous. No recall HAS to be done, the vehicle is your property, not theirs. However, repairs of recalled parts and accidents as a result of not performing the recall are not their fault if you decline. My dealer just had me sign the service receipt indicating I declined. Been back since and they had it in their computer I refused the recall (they volunteered this info when reviewing my vin in their system), and didn't say anything more about it.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-guapin View Post
This is a feature where Onstar monitors your vehicle stats and sends a report to the preferred dealer. If any issues are detected, the dealer will contact you to schedule an appointment. Onstar also monitors whether any active recalls have /have not being performed. I turned that feature OFF.
That reminds me of when our developers do something asinine and call it a feature.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
If a car is traded in to a dealer before it can be re-sold the recall has to be done. Every VIN has to have a VIS run on it and all open recalls cleared.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
It's funny that one dealer says "we have to show it done, here are your new spare keys" and needs something signed, and another (mine) says "OK, we have it on file that you declined. no signature needed. No, we can't give you the keys unless we cut off your old ones". Where are the Chevy Team monitors on this?

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
I have read somewhere that after 2 years of them attempting to get you in to have the recall done that they will stop contacting you.
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
2ndtimess
2ndtimeSS

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 speed Infernal Orange
The consequence for not having the key changed according to our recall notice is that it will decrease the value of your car until we address it. The second issue is if you have an accident because of the defective part ( key/fob) not being serviced your insurance company can and will charge you with an at fault accident and you inherit all the consequences your policy dictates. I thought I read on this forum that the new key set up will not open the drivers door which the blade key does now. If anyone knows about the door opening with the new key please jump in. I have been on the fence as well with the recall and have not had mine changed either.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
^^^^ I can't imagine that your insurance company will know or bother to check after an
accident to see if your key has been upgraded per the recall. It's unlikely that even a 3rd
party company would know to check. One chance in a million.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
^^^^ I can't imagine that your insurance company will know or bother to check after an
accident to see if your key has been upgraded per the recall. It's unlikely that even a 3rd
party company would know to check. One chance in a million.
It wouldn't be hard to check, fwiw. But more importantly, they would need to prove the key played a part. IMO, the odds of the key ever playing a part in any accident is so astronomically low that GM is literally pissing money away dealing with this "issue". I usually have recalls performed, this is the first one I've ever declined.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote