Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I think the sniffer test will be a thing of the past. Last I heard, they are going to switch to just OBD testing. They will plug their computer to your OBD port and if all the readiness test are ok then you are good to go.
I think we all hope that's the case before the 2010's require SMOG. I know erk5000 had to get one because he came as a military transfer from out of state. Good to see he passed with all he has on his car. If its OBD, then it's LT, HF cats for me!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I think the sniffer test will be a thing of the past. Last I heard, they are going to switch to just OBD testing. They will plug their computer to your OBD port and if all the readiness test are ok then you are good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
I think we all hope that's the case before the 2010's require SMOG. I know erk5000 had to get one because he came as a military transfer from out of state. Good to see he passed with all he has on his car. If its OBD, then it's LT, HF cats for me!
Yes the sniffer test wont be required on 2000 and newer vehicles anymore after January 1st 2013. There will however still be the visual and OBDII check. I'ts the visual that keeps us from being able to have longtubes and highflow cats. In CA you wont pass a visual If the cats are not in the factory location. I would imagine it wont be too hard to find someone to help us pass the visual when the time comes though.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
SD2011SS

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by erk5000 View Post
I have JBA high flow cats, Doug thorely cat back, Dynomax mufflers, & a tune. I passed my smog test here in Oceanside, CA. I told the inspector what I had in my car before hand. He said he would do a friendly smog check for free & if it fails then I'd have to go fix the problem and not pay for the smog check. If I pass then I pay and smog check is complete.

Where did you go??
Old 07-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #18
SBMARO'11
Banned

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS
high flow cats illegal but i dont care i got the hook up or else i would fail with my long tubes as well
SBMARO'11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD2011SS View Post
Where did you go??
T & T Auto Smog Test located in Oceanside, CA on Coastal Hwy.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
Thanks for the shop info, erk!
My question is, what smog inspection place is going to crawl under this already low car and look at the cats, and also, how will they know if they have been moved from their factory location? Do they have some kind of book with measurements of where cats are supposed to be located for every make and model? How could they know the difference between a factory or hi flow cat, do they look that different to throw a red flag? I have a hard time believing these smog test guys are that knowledgable about cars, maybe I'm wrong though...
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #21
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag107 View Post
Thanks for the shop info, erk!
My question is, what smog inspection place is going to crawl under this already low car and look at the cats, and also, how will they know if they have been moved from their factory location? Do they have some kind of book with measurements of where cats are supposed to be located for every make and model? How could they know the difference between a factory or hi flow cat, do they look that different to throw a red flag? I have a hard time believing these smog test guys are that knowledgable about cars, maybe I'm wrong though...
As of right now, from my experience, visual inspections are sub par. They may or may not become more stringent in January when we are only required to get the OBDII and visual inspection. Most places use a mirror on rollers to look underneath the car. Some may put the car on a lift. Two big indications of someone running aftermarket cats are long tube headers, and number of cats. If you have long tube headers there is no way to mount your cats in the factory position. 2nd, number of cats, SS Camaros come from the factory with 4 cats, 2 per side. If you only have 2 cats, chances are you replaced them with aftermarket cats. This is only my opinion but I believe the visual inspection will be relatively easy to get around as long as everything is good when they run their OBD tests.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #22
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
You just need a big photo of oem manifolds and cats hanging under the car.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #23
erk5000

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
As of right now, from my experience, visual inspections are sub par. They may or may not become more stringent in January when we are only required to get the OBDII and visual inspection. Most places use a mirror on rollers to look underneath the car. Some may put the car on a lift. Two big indications of someone running aftermarket cats are long tube headers, and number of cats. If you have long tube headers there is no way to mount your cats in the factory position. 2nd, number of cats, SS Camaros come from the factory with 4 cats, 2 per side. If you only have 2 cats, chances are you replaced them with aftermarket cats. This is only my opinion but I believe the visual inspection will be relatively easy to get around as long as everything is good when they run their OBD tests.
I agree with what he says. As long as your OBD passes will determine if he takes a look at your cats but then again it just determines from shop to shop.
Make sure you ask the person that does it if he will do it for free first if in any case it fails.
I just straight up told the dude that did it the truth. That I have a tuned camaro with high flow cats and cat back exhaust. He said he would run it up and if it passes OBD then we are good. Maybe being in the military had something to do with it too ha.
erk5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
or just keep your stockers if you are that worried about it and take the 2 hours every 2 years and swap em back to pass smog if you are THAT worried or cant find someone to pass you, just another excuse to get some wrench time in...
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Run4two

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
evilbeef54, you read my mind! I was thinking about this 2 hours ago while driving. I want to put LT headers on and have little automotive experience and was thinking I should do it to get the experience for smog time.
Run4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post
evilbeef54, you read my mind! I was thinking about this 2 hours ago while driving. I want to put LT headers on and have little automotive experience and was thinking I should do it to get the experience for smog time.
Do it