Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Do you have a auto or manual?
Doing a cam swap in a manual car really isn't too hard to do.
Do not evacuate the AC system, and always replace the valve springs.
The DIY is very informative, and will show you just about everything you need to know and do. Plus as you see, there are many people who have done it themselves, and a bunch of people who have done many of them, who are all willing to help with questions.
Take your time (give yourself several days just in case), and do it right. While you're in there, there are a lot of things to do that are good insurance, and will only cost the price of the parts (which is usually somewhat cheap) with no extra labor (oil pump, timing chain, chain dampener, gaskets, etc).
Get a good custom dyno/street tune when its done; mail order tuning would probably be ok for driving a couple days and then to the drive to the dyno, but I wouldn't take it past that. Custom in person tuning will always be safer for the car, and a lot of times will get you more power.

If you have any questions, feel free to call, PM or email us, we're always willing to help out fellow Camaro drivers and enthusiasts!

- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
Swang&Bang713

Drives: 2010 Black Chevy Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
cool that'll check it out when I'm not on my phone!
Swang&Bang713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGOODWRENCH3 View Post
All due respect but if your main concern is draining the radiator and evacuating the A/C system maybe all you should be doing is driving and maybe adding fuel. A cam swap is not for you. Pay a professional.
not my main concern, I know the process just trying to get the technical stuff down and get info as possible. I will be having a pro doing/helping me with it so I will be able to learn and not have to pay of someone to work on my car.

but thanks for your "help"
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetorp View Post
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. The linked walkthrough is very good. Have a look at it and see if you feel comfortable with everything. Nothing really difficult, IMO. The first time is always the roughest. The first cam swap I did on my LS1 took somewhere upwards of 8 hours, but I can have one out and in in less than half that now. Especially if I'm not swapping springs.
I got some schooling and work experience but no way to I wanna handle this myself lol. I got a friend of mine that works mon-fri doing this stuff that wants to help I'm just wondering if I should pay the extra 600 for install (which I don't)
Old 11-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
rstawara

Drives: 11 Black SS M6
Get to do mine in FEB! Along with the rest of the build, which im taking 2 weeks off work to do. Cant wait to be home.
rstawara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #20
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
my personal thoughts is that, instructions can only go so far. you honestly have to have some mechanical knowledge or have a friend that does help. there is no way i could trust a cam job but my self. so if you are in doubt have a shop do it.
your right there's text book smart and hands on smart. luckily ill have some help if I didn't I would just probably suck it up and pay but the money I save can go I something else!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
I did mine with Robertway's diy, its great. I printed out the pdf file and took it with me into the garage. You do NOT have to evac the AC system. This was my first cam swap in an LS motor and I must say it wasn't that bad. It took me a couple days but I took my time and it all went together fine. I also got to fix the factory leaking valve cover gasket.

As far as the tuning part goes I drove mine to the tuner about 30 miles away. Its doable just a pain because it wanted to die at every stop, but I knew that was going to happen. I just kept the windows up, there were a lot of people giving me weird looks.
yea see the driving part I what I was worried about! it's a straight highway shot to my friends shop with only like to lights on the way I just wasn't sure what it would be like
Old 11-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #22
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post
The DIY is very informative, and will show you just about everything you need to know and do. Plus as you see, there are many people who have done it themselves, and a bunch of people who have done many of them, who are all willing to help with questions.
Take your time (give yourself several days just in case), and do it right. While you're in there, there are a lot of things to do that are good insurance, and will only cost the price of the parts (which is usually somewhat cheap) with no extra labor (oil pump, timing chain, chain dampener, gaskets, etc).
Get a good custom dyno/street tune when its done; mail order tuning would probably be ok for driving a couple days and then to the drive to the dyno, but I wouldn't take it past that. Custom in person tuning will always be safer for the car, and a lot of times will get you more power.

If you have any questions, feel free to call, PM or email us, we're always willing to help out fellow Camaro drivers and enthusiasts!

- Jeremy
I have a manual! and thanks when I make my final decision I will come back here first if I run into any problems. I know the process and I've done some work in school but every car is different so I didn't want to jump right in
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@JDP View Post

- Jeremy
I have a manual! and thanks when I make my final decision I will come back here first if I run into any problems. I know the process and I've done some work in school but every car is different so I didn't want to jump right in
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
Swang&Bang713

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstawara View Post
Get to do mine in FEB! Along with the rest of the build, which im taking 2 weeks off work to do. Cant wait to be home.
cool! I've been talking bout this since march it's just seems like things come up every month where I don't wanna blow the money or I just don't have time....
Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #25
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGOODWRENCH3 View Post
All due respect but if your main concern is draining the radiator and evacuating the A/C system maybe all you should be doing is driving and maybe adding fuel. A cam swap is not for you. Pay a professional.
youve made this thread so productful, that is just crazy...
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swang&Bang713 View Post
not my main concern, I know the process just trying to get the technical stuff down and get info as possible. I will be having a pro doing/helping me with it so I will be able to learn and not have to pay of someone to work on my car.

but thanks for your "help"
more like.. thanks for being a "tool"
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #27
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
I did my own. Just take your time and pay attention to every detail.
Cam Install
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote