Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
God provided a good leak test this morning...

Post new top install, water management failed. Dealer wants the car on Monday to have the contractor take a look at it. Unwilling to just order the new bag...
Attached Images

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
tramtwo

Here come the rub marks...

Put the completely dry top down on a country road for about 30 minutes today. Speeds between 35 and 55, no tonneau cover. It needs to be replaced due to peeling and separation of material. The top handle was left in the open position, will not do that again.

Remember these marks appeared in less than 30 minutes of easy driving. Passenger side more pronounced than drivers. Same with the old top. There are also some shallow wrinkles in the B pillars.

I really love this car and am trying very hard to work within the GM service structure to get this fixed. I am sure they have spent at least 5k on this car in the last year on warranty repairs. More to come on Monday.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
vanlieremead
Chris

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Jewel Red 6.2L Vert
I really just don't understand the failure of the water management system. It's so fundamental to get that right. I was going to mention that the real seal along the edge looks too exposed - a minor knit when you (were) so happy to begin with. Mine was too much exposed - I had them fix it.

I like the mod on the inter-liner clips. Are the wheels exposed a little from the inside with it closed? Look up and to your left while seated.

I get a whistle up and to my left. The dealer told me its normal. It wasn't always there and not immediately after the top was replaced. I can make it come and go by switching the A/C between recycle (no noise) and no recycle (noise).

Hang in there.
Attached Images

vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Seems like most of the water bag failures occurred shortly after the tops have been replaced. Is it a coincidence or do the installers damage something while working on the top?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
tramtwo

Nothing exposed when closed. The fit seems excellent, and the car is unbelievably quiet even at highway speeds. I have 20k miles in a year in the car so am really in-tune with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
I'm sorry to see you are having problems with the new roof. Just keep working with them on it.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
They probably pulled the drain tubes out. Easy fix and over looked by many installers.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #22
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Post new top install, water management failed. Dealer wants the car on Monday to have the contractor take a look at it. Unwilling to just order the new bag...
Fortunately, your leak may be the result of an installation error - as mine was, they installed it upside down on top #2. If not, it's the faulty design of the waterbag.

They will never "shampoo" out the mold and mildew in that thing, never. Why? Because they don't take the carpet out of the car and dis-infect it like trim shops used to back in the 70's and 80's with flood jobs. I did hundred of them from river flooding in the Northeast back in my day working at my dad's trim shop. They don't know how to do this properly, or simply just don;t want to. They you it was steam cleaned or something similar. It's crap, the carpet needs to come out, the padding removed and thrown away, new padding installed, and the carpet thoroughly cleaned on both sides with a disinfectant shampoo. They couldn't get away with it on mine since the carpet is a light grey and shows everything. It also smelled horrible, like rotting trash in a trashcan.

Today's dealers are "parts changers." They look at the computer and go by what GM thinks should be done, not what old fashioned common sense and intuition tell them to do. GM authorizes a shampoo, refuses a new carpet, and a few weeks down the road you're in for a new carpet anyway. It's really freakin' ridiculous anymore. So, demand a carpet kit if all they are going to do is shampoo the carpet while it is still in your car - epic failure.

If the damn top keeps showing those "V" marks, demand a new mechanism. Those marks are classic on this top - the problem is so widely known already. Keep taking it back. Document the days out of service. And maybe as the last resort get an attorney involved. Not sure of you vehicle history, but you are invited to PM me here and I can help the best I can. I have been through ALL OF THIS already.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Just wondering if they installed the re-designed water management bag when they re did the top. When they replaced my top and mechanics in april the water management bag sent was the old style bag. Luckily my service manager spotted this and kept the larger re-designed one I had installed a month earlier. So far the top on mine has been fantastic, no rub marks just the wave is noticeable above the side windows. I agree with most that GM will not replace the whole mechanics till all attempt to patch fix the top has failed. I still think once the 5th bow is broken they should replace it all. Good luck with the water management replacement.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
tramtwo

The top is 22972088 F-Cover.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
it sounds like the water bag is a separate item. The fit on that new top looks fantastic though.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
Water management bag,??? I've never had a leak, no waves or any of the problems discussed here. Love the car and have had it just nearly 4 months now.

I'm still a little confused about just where this "Bag" is you all keep referring to. Michael in Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
Water management bag,??? I've never had a leak, no waves or any of the problems discussed here. Love the car and have had it just nearly 4 months now.

I'm still a little confused about just where this "Bag" is you all keep referring to. Michael in Virginia
The bag lines the well that the top folds down into. Water is then collected and drains through two tubs down and out of the car. Any issues with the bag or the tube results in interior flooding.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #28
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
The water management bag is a separate part # from the top and mechanics. Ill go look at my receipts from the repairs to find the part #.

Tags
fraying, marks, replacement, top, wrinkles