Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...I disagree, it's more than that in a way,...having the expendable income outweighs the need to shop around or put in the extensive effort to get one at MSRP....especially in the first MY release. Even at MSRP these cars are not beer money priced, they are high end. Not as in Euro high end, but for the working class, they ain't cheap. I am sure some purchased it as a status symbol thing and sold it when the ashtray got full <old saying> just because they could. They as a whole go through many new in vogue rides just for sport. But, not many have the where with all or financial means to do that. I wish I had the cabbage to throw around like that.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #58
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
I remember reading a few different stories about the new SRT8 Challengers (when first launched) people paid 20K over sticker just to "have it"

My dad looked at one (old mopar guy at heart) but the local dealer wanted 10k over sticker. No thanks.

I was in the same boat when the new VW R32s came out. Totally different car than what VW released before - AWD, biggest engine, all the luxuries of an Audi etc. 32k sticker hard to find one locally for under 35.

Waited 6 months and found 3 in Chicago for 26k OTD.

I have said before I expect the Z/28 to have a few thousand built and sold. If this is a car that makes it to dealer lots as a halo car there will be some sitting come fall of 2014. At that point I can see them being let go under MSRP.

Just have to play the waiting game. (and believe that this car will not be that limited)
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #59

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
....My take is the desirability and additional mark-up won't be for the showing-off factor, but more being able to get out racing sooner....Keep 5K-10K in your pocket and not be able to race for several weeks...several months...miss a "season"?....

Not judging anybody, but a mark-up sounds like chump-change to get one in hand and get out on the track with it, instead of missing out entirely....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #60
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
I know the owner of the dealership I bought my ZL1 from. They are a small, family owned dealership so they are not sure how the Z/28 allocation will be done but they said that if they do get an allocation, it will be sold at MSRP. They sold me my ZL1 at $3.5K under sticker and said as a dealership policy, they do not mark up cars regardless of availability. I am #2 on the list there so I sure hope the at least get 2 in their allocation.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #61
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...I disagree, it's more than that in a way,...having the expendable income outweighs the need to shop around or put in the extensive effort to get one at MSRP....especially in the first MY release. Even at MSRP these cars are not beer money priced, they are high end. Not as in Euro high end, but for the working class, they ain't cheap. I am sure some purchased it as a status symbol thing and sold it when the ashtray got full <old saying> just because they could. They as a whole go through many new in vogue rides just for sport. But, not many have the where with all or financial means to do that. I wish I had the cabbage to throw around like that.
Oh so the answer is more money than brains! I'll agree with that.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #62
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
They should throw in a couple spare splitters regardless of msrp, most will have a shelf life of produce.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #63
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Oh so the answer is more money than brains! I'll agree with that.
...yup...just takes money, no brains at all....
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #64
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I totally get the gearing taking mph off the top but if these #'s are accurate I don't quite understand the 0-60 time @ 4.2. It just seems to me that if I throw a 3:91 gear in the car, take 300 pounds off her, and have the hp/torque #'s we have been told that it should be sub 4. I know you don't time a road course car from a dead stop so I get it is irrelevant for the purpose of the car but I just find that a bit odd. I am not slamming the car, especially since this is all speculation it just seems to not add up to me.

The ZL1 is 300 lbs heavier to make it kill at the launch. Launching is ZL1 territory. THE STREET is ZL1 territory. Z28 is no compromise track killer, and you only launch once in a race around the track. Stay waiting for those Ring times...I am pessemistic for the Z28
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #65
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
it keeps getting more holes in it's armor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
According to GM/Media specifications, the gearbox ratios for the 2014 Z-28 and the 2013 1LE are identical, apparently they are going to use the same TR6060. Also, the first four gear ratios are identical for the ZL1, Z-28, and 1LE, the only difference is gears 5 and 6, with the Z-28/1LE having .74 for 5th, and .50 for 6th, with the ZL1 having .80 for 5th, and .63 for 6th.
Contrary to others post saying that this might be a track purposed trans, the trans is not geared for track usage if the 6th is a 0.50. That is a "save gas" gear that wont be usable for top speed. so much for "no compromise." So top speed is not gear ratio limited, but is limited to power versus wind resistance. a case of enough balls to push that brick any faster. They should have given the car a true close ratio with 6 usable gears if it was a "no compromise car"
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #66
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
Contrary to others post saying that this might be a track purposed trans, the trans is not geared for track usage if the 6th is a 0.50. That is a "save gas" gear that wont be usable for top speed. so much for "no compromise." So top speed is not gear ratio limited, but is limited to power versus wind resistance. a case of enough balls to push that brick any faster. They should have given the car a true close ratio with 6 usable gears if it was a "no compromise car"
The 2014 Z-28 transmission information is listed through Chevy media. This may or may not be what will arrive in the car at time of production. In reality, this is not a true no compromise car. It's a production body stripped of a few non essentials to shed weight. It is using alot of items previously used on other production Camaro and Corvette vehicles. There are a few new engineered things incorporated into it, like the DSSV dampers, helical cut rear axle gears, thinner rear window glass, and CAI intake. I wonder what the RPM is at 186 MPH in high gear for the ZL1 when the fuel shuts off and limits the big end. The ZL1 has 3.73 rear axle gears. The Z-28 and the 1LE have 3.91. gears. Using the existing 1-4 tranny gearing through all 3 models seems to be a compromise no doubt. However, the car may not be power limited and it will pull in 6th up to whatever limit they place on it. Since it's a street production/track vehicle like the ZL1, it surely will be speed limited up top. So, the OD gears are probably cut a tad bit higher in the Z-28/1LE TR6060 to compensate for the lower final drive ratio and won't constrict the brick like cars with lesser HP and TQ would be affected. Plus, don't forget the Z-28 has 19" square rubber that will lower the gearing a bit more.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #67
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
they made it a street car. Kind of hard to make it a "no compromise" track car.

That OD is for the MPG rating.

Had this been a real no compromise track car it would not have a VIN or a backseat etc.

This is about as close as one will get to a street version of a factory race car.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #68
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
they made it a street car. Kind of hard to make it a "no compromise" track car.

That OD is for the MPG rating.

Had this been a real no compromise track car it would not have a VIN or a backseat etc.

This is about as close as one will get to a street version of a factory race car.

EXACTLY!
Old 05-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #69
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

And...if it has the close ratio gearbox, it likely needs a shift before 60 mph which will make the 0-60 time longer.

We have no idea if this speculated information is correct, and if it is, I just don't care. It doesn't matter for those of us who will use the car for its intended purpose.
Actually a close-ratio gearbox would mean the opposite--it will have a taller 1st gear. As the name implies, the ratios will be closer together, and with 4th gear being a 1:1, that means ratios 1-3 will be higher and closer than with the standard trans. In addition, a short 1st gear would be pretty much worthless on most road courses. The tall 1st gear would probably mean a 0-60 run in 1st gear but difficult to launch between bogging and lighting up the tires. It's also not an optimal gear for a standing start acceleration run.
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #70
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I believe in a close ratio box for track first gear is usually short not tall as it's used for getting the car moving not at speed. Most races are done in gears 2-5.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 05-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote