Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
protouringlsrocks

Drives: 67 RS/SS - 71 SS - 67 SS
67 CAMARO REAR LOWER SHOCK MOUNT HELP

To help you understand what I am asking.
On my 67 that I am building, I am putting MULTI leaf springs on it instead of the MONO. I put multi leaf perches on the axle housing. I am now trying to figure out what to do for lower shock mount brackets. The original MONO leaf shock mount brackets will not work. I purchased some lower multi leaf brackets, but that then staggers my shocks compared to original MONO leaf, where they are both in front of my axle. The way I understand, they started staggering shocks in 68 to eliminate wheel hop.
NOW the question :
If I put these lower 68-69 staggered shock mounts on will it work without any modifications to the upper shock mount in the trunk floor. Also will a normal (length wise) 68-69 shock work.
Any info on this would be appreciated.
protouringlsrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
I would imagine (hope?) that there is some "bracing" going on where the upper shock mounts in the trunk floor. I can't find any good pictures of that area in my folders... If not, I guess you could just drill the required holes after taking/getting some measurements from a '68.?.? If you use(d) '68 springs and perches, the '68 shocks should fit.

I don't want to sound like I own or am affiliated with this site (because I keep suggesting it), but check out www.camaros.net. There is a lot of modifying going on over there and someone has probably already done it...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
67 Camaros have a removable upper shock mount. I am not sure on 68s. The 67s are mostly centered if the 68s are then no problem. if they are off center get some upper shock mounts off a 68. The just bolt on.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
I changed mine from a mono to a 5 leaf. The shocks mounted back to the factory location without issue.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Rock on

Drives: black 2011 2ss
I had a custom set of springs made for my 68 I don't remember having any issues I don't know if they are the same
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
The drawing in the '68 AIM (they aren't always accurate) shows about 3 layers of metal where the shock goes through the trunk floor. There is a plate that is mounted on the bottom side of the trunk that is "loose". So, maybe one can just drill holes in the '67 as I suggested? Or weld in some support in that area first? (It's funny, the AIM actually has one picture where the shocks are both in front of the axle. It's the same drawing from '67. Kind of typical. Shows how it is sometime inaccurate...)

The '69 AIM shows the same thing except with a new drawing with staggerred shocks...

I see in the '67 AIM, the shocks mount the same way, only no stagger. It would seem to be just a matter of drilling new holes.?.?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
If you have the proper deeper multi-leaf spring mounts on the rear axle the '67 lower brackets should be able to be used I think. They had stuck 3 leaf Nova springs on my car WITHOUT changing the spring perches on the rear end, just used longer bolts and left one of the pads out, NOT GOOD. Made it easy to go back to monos though. On '68's not only was a lower mount moved due to staggering the shocks, upper moved as well so I don't know how you'd stagger them without messing with at least one upper mount.
I know this is of no help and not the cheapest alternative, but if I was building a 1st gen pro-tourer I'd have to go with one of the 4 link kits available and ditch the leafs altogether. Some of them even "Bolt-in."

EDIT: Check out post #15 here:
http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...-to-multi-leaf

Mono vs. multi leaf spring perches:
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 07-26-2013 at 08:13 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote