Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
Multiple tuners?

Anyone using two different tuners? I have an SCT loaded with three custom tunes but I want to try HP or EFI live. Is it common to switch back and fourth between two different tuners? Is it even recommended?
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 20112SS View Post
Anyone using two different tuners? I have an SCT loaded with three custom tunes but I want to try HP or EFI live. Is it common to switch back and fourth between two different tuners? Is it even recommended?
I caution you, Using several different software on the same computer can Corrupt the Computer and results can be less than desirable.

I have already had to recover multiple computers that were tuned by 2 or more Different software.

If you start with one software it is best to stick with it.

With SCT I have the ability to Recover Corrupt computers.

You can also visit your local Dealer to get a Fresh Start.

Locked Computers are another story all together.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
Quote:
From your post I assume that you have 3 custom tunes on your SCT programmer, depending on how the delivery device was configured, it should be capable of allowing small modifications to spark, fuel, tire size, shift points, etc. This feature would have been enabled at the time of programming the hand held by choosing the “program with options” feature.
If you wish to try EFI Live or HPTuners you should program the car with the SCT device and then read the file with the other software, once you have read the file allow the ecm to reset the, then program the next SCT file and repeat the read process. Once you have programmed and read each SCT file, you can now use the other software to edit and program your car. Once you make a change to the programming with the other software, you may not be able to program again with the SCT device, depending on how the SCT device validates the tune in the car, checksum, CVN etc. If, for some reason, you wish to go back to a SCT tune you can because you have each of the three tunes captured in the other software.
When using any tuning software as long as you do not use the “full flash” option the later ECM’s are pretty resilient since the short flash leaves the Main OS, Slave OS and the History files intact.
If you have a “locked” ECM, it is typically achieved by manipulating the security, seed and key routine, or other communication methods, if you really want to get what is on the chip it can be done.

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Competition GT

Drives: Corvette
You can corrupt a pcm like this. If you really want to do this, flash it back to stock before using another tuning device. ....ie if you have HPtuners and EFI Live, go ahead and tune with HPTuners, but flash it back to stock before touching it with EFI Live and vice versa.
Competition GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Graham Behan

Drives: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Competition GT View Post
You can corrupt a pcm like this. If you really want to do this, flash it back to stock before using another tuning device. ....ie if you have HPtuners and EFI Live, go ahead and tune with HPTuners, but flash it back to stock before touching it with EFI Live and vice versa.
Not so, but then what do I know.

Graham.
Graham Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
Hmmm, glad I asked. I figured if I loaded the stock tune back using my SCT I can then start from scratch using another tuner. My version of the SCT handheld does not store pre-loaded tunes. I wanted to try some pre-programmed tunes using a different tuner and compare the drivability and performance to the custom ones I have loaded now.
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Hmmm, glad I asked. I figured if I loaded the stock tune back using my SCT I can then start from scratch using another tuner. My version of the SCT handheld does not store pre-loaded tunes. I wanted to try some pre-programmed tunes using a different tuner and compare the drivability and performance to the custom ones I have loaded now.
If you do return your stock tune to your ECM first, you can for example load Predator or Trinity tunes to try out and then go back to the SCT again.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote