Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
HOLY MACKERAL Vmax CNC Ported Throttle Body Installed

I received my Vmax CNC Ported throttle body from Janetty Racing yesterday and installed it almost immediately. I owe Ted Janetty an apology since when I opened the box, I immediately saw that the bore of the throttlebody did not have the swirled bore tool markings the entire circumfrence of the TB. About 3 inches of the bore looked like the bore machine missed the wall of the TB. As a matter of fact, the throttle body walls were thinner where the bore machine swirls were clearly visible and thicker where the machine had not cut. I called Ted Janetty and he said that was part of the design and it was supposed to be that way. I'm afraid I didn't agree with that assessment. So, I immediately looked again at photos on the forum and, sure enough, the one good photo I could find was just like mine.

Anyway, I installed the throttlebody and, HOLY MACKERAL!!!!!, what a difference this thing made on my seat of the pants dyno! Wow, I just can't say enough about the difference in performance. With my L99, first gear is nothing but burnt rubber (of course it's cold outside). Throttle response is beyond written word description. I want to remind you that I have a Vararam CAI installed and, at least one dyno test on this forum shows a straight in CAI gaining 4-6 more HP than a CAI with a 90 degree turn. I'm not sure that made any difference on my car, but I can tell you, there's one hell of an improvement in power.

Someone asked for side by side photos and they're here. You can see the space that appears to be missed, but apparently is part of the design.
Attached Images

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
I want one too. heard only good things about the product
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Humm, my VMAX will be here next week. The Bee can already rip the tires thru first gear. Wonder what she will do after this?
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Hate to be a Debbie Downer but ported TBs never made a difference in 4th gen f bodies. I don't see how they would make a difference in the much nicer flowing 5th gen TB.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
No one that has gotten one of these, hasn't noticed the immediate improvement. There are some before and after dyno's from one or two members here that show the increase. I think SC2150 pointed out that this mod was more about throttle response, but the added HP an TQ on top of that was a plus.

Oh and fwiw I got mine from SC2150 and questioned the same thing as you about the cnc work. Tracy explained it to me same as Ted did you. Needless to say after going for a drive, I knew it was as it should be. Great mod for the money.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Nice, this will be my next mod.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I agree.....I put mine on earlier this week. It was 30 outside when I took it out and I'm sure that has alot to do with it but I'll say that was the best my car has ever run. I definately think it's worth the money IMO.

Here are some side by side pics I took as well.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I received my Vmax CNC Ported throttle body from Janetty Racing yesterday and installed it almost immediately. I owe Ted Janetty an apology since when I opened the box, I immediately saw that the bore of the throttlebody did not have the swirled bore tool markings the entire circumfrence of the TB. About 3 inches of the bore looked like the bore machine missed the wall of the TB. As a matter of fact, the throttle body walls were thinner where the bore machine swirls were clearly visible and thicker where the machine had not cut. I called Ted Janetty and he said that was part of the design and it was supposed to be that way. I'm afraid I didn't agree with that assessment. So, I immediately looked again at photos on the forum and, sure enough, the one good photo I could find was just like mine.

Anyway, I installed the throttlebody and, HOLY MACKERAL!!!!!, what a difference this thing made on my seat of the pants dyno! Wow, I just can't say enough about the difference in performance. With my L99, first gear is nothing but burnt rubber (of course it's cold outside). Throttle response is beyond written word description. I want to remind you that I have a Vararam CAI installed and, at least one dyno test on this forum shows a straight in CAI gaining 4-6 more HP than a CAI with a 90 degree turn. I'm not sure that made any difference on my car, but I can tell you, there's one hell of an improvement in power.

Someone asked for side by side photos and they're here. You can see the space that appears to be missed, but apparently is part of the design.
No Apology necessary, I just want you to be happy.

I am really Glad you decided to try it before sending it back, I knew if you did you would be impressed.

It is not an Item that has to look Like Jewelry To work Well.

Thank You Jerry.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Are there any before and after dyno runs by any members that purchsed this..? I would really like to "see" the difference with this item...
Thanks!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I got one of these and it's the real deal. You notice the improvement immediately the moment you first push the gas pedal. It especially improved my car's performance when the engine is stone cold; no more herky jerkies. The low rpm throttle response is definitely better with one of these. Well worth the money.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
Are there any before and after dyno runs by any members that purchsed this..? I would really like to "see" the difference with this item...
Thanks!

M
Somebody did do that in one of the threads (can't remember who) but it showed a gain of 8 or 9 hp I think it was. Not a huge difference but the biggest benefit is how it transforms the way the engine responds to the throttle. It goes from a "request acceleration, wait for the engine to respond" to an instant response like it's now a true cable-to-pedal connection.

It might make more hp if you have headers; I have a CAI but still have the stock exhaust manifolds. Even if your car is stock this upgrade is worth it though.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Someone that dyno'd a before and after.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=192

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Do you need to retune after one of these? I already have LT's, Halltech CAI, and a Jannetty tune.

Thanks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote