Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
13camarossva

Drives: 2013 inferno orange metallic ss
Fuel tank size question

So twice now I've run my 13 camaro 1ss to just about empty. 1st after the dealer fill up to rid the low octane fuel, then put like 20 bucks in to filter out more. And just now at just over 1000 miles. After reading the manual, and every where online, the camaro has a 19ish gallon fuel tank. But, both times within 20 miles (according to dic) of being empty, I fill up and I've only taken 15.5 to 16 gallons. With my calculations at 250ish miles to the tank im averaging 15-16 mpg. So with the math it seems reasonable that I have a 16 gallon tank but contrary to everything I read, why don't I have the 19 gallon?. And I can't see about 3 gallons of reserve fuel, any thoughts?
13camarossva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I can go about 30 miles or so after it says it is empty, so if you are averaging 15-16 then that's 2.6 gallons. I didn't intend to do that, post hurricane and no power for pumps, that is how far I went til I found working Gas pumps.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13camarossva View Post
So twice now I've run my 13 camaro 1ss to just about empty. 1st after the dealer fill up to rid the low octane fuel, then put like 20 bucks in to filter out more. And just now at just over 1000 miles. After reading the manual, and every where online, the camaro has a 19ish gallon fuel tank. But, both times within 20 miles (according to dic) of being empty, I fill up and I've only taken 15.5 to 16 gallons. With my calculations at 250ish miles to the tank im averaging 15-16 mpg. So with the math it seems reasonable that I have a 16 gallon tank but contrary to everything I read, why don't I have the 19 gallon?. And I can't see about 3 gallons of reserve fuel, any thoughts?
Your not the only one, Ive been to near empty and filled up to about the same. Its definitely not 19 gallons. But if it is, that's a lot of reserve fuel.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I can go about 30 miles or so after it says it is empty, so if you are averaging 15-16 then that's 2.6 gallons. I didn't intend to do that, post hurricane and no power for pumps, that is how far I went til I found working Gas pumps.
Interesting, thats a pretty big reserve.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
If the book says you have a 19 gallon tank you have a 19 gallon fuel tank. The DIC is just an estimation and I would not rely on it. The only way you are really going to find out is to totally run it dry and then fill up. This is the first vehicle I have had that has had fuel miles remaining and such but all the other ones I have owned that have had low fuel light indicators in them my fill ups have all been close to 3 gallons less then what the manufacturer says the capacity is. Hope this helps. I fill up when it says 1/8 or close to it and hardly ever use the DIC or the low fuel indicator.

Dean.

PS Since I said run it dry I have opened a can of worms on the fuel pump controversy and I am now going to unsubscribe to this thread after I post because there will be 300 posts on how wrong it is to even run your car under a half tank, blah, blah blah.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Jrichards73

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee that gets run to empty every time. It's a game she plays, to see if I can make it to the gas station when the readout says 0 miles to empty. Have yet to get stranded in that either. She ran it out of gas once and drove it for 4 days with the light on, no telling how far she went. It gets 11 mpg by the way.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
I seem to be able to get around 300 miles per fill up out of mine and I'm usually able to put 18 gallons in.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
If the book says you have a 19 gallon tank you have a 19 gallon fuel tank. The DIC is just an estimation and I would not rely on it. The only way you are really going to find out is to totally run it dry and then fill up. This is the first vehicle I have had that has had fuel miles remaining and such but all the other ones I have owned that have had low fuel light indicators in them my fill ups have all been close to 3 gallons less then what the manufacturer says the capacity is. Hope this helps. I fill up when it says 1/8 or close to it and hardly ever use the DIC or the low fuel indicator.

Dean.

PS Since I said run it dry I have opened a can of worms on the fuel pump controversy and I am now going to unsubscribe to this thread after I post because there will be 300 posts on how wrong it is to even run your car under a half tank, blah, blah blah.
lol ruining it dry once wont hurt a thing as long as you shut off the car. Running it constantly dry however will burn up the pump. Most make the mistake of thinking just because you've ran out of fuel the pump stops pumping and end up burning it up.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Never run your tank below 1/4 tank...it's bad for your fuel pump and injectors.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Jrichards73

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I feel this thread is doing a very good job of illustrating that when the needle is on E the tank is not empty. That is a myth and anyone that understands a fuel pump knows the pickup is at the bottom of the tank so who cares how many gallons you have above it? You are still sucking from the bottom of the tank, through a prefilter. I have drained and dropped many a tank and have yet to find this "sediment" everyone is referring to. If you run the pump DRY as nak3dsnake said then yes, but that is after the car has stopped moving and the pump is still running. At that point you deserve it. The stupid sending units go out before the flipping pump does.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I usually fill up in summer between 1/8 and empty, I have never gotten a low fuel warning and I have put 17.5 gallons in it before. In the winter I never let it get below 1/4 tank, and if I am not driving it for more than a week in the winter I try to keep it over 1/2 tank.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
on my 2013 2SS, the most i have put in was 15.8, and the needle was on 'E"...
Attached Images

danl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
lol ruining it dry once wont hurt a thing as long as you shut off the car. Running it constantly dry however will burn up the pump. Most make the mistake of thinking just because you've ran out of fuel the pump stops pumping and end up burning it up.

I don't know why I checked back in on this thread but thought I would, I might have been looking for a laugh. There was another thread about this subject of the low fuel indicator. I mentioned the very same thing you did about one time isn't going to hurt. I pretty much got my a$$ nailed to the wall even mentioning running it out. I think at the time I unsubscribed from that thread it was over 150.

To the OP not sure why it matters whether you can get all 19 gallons in. It isn't like GM shorted you on the tank. Not sure if you have ever watched it, but the show Top Gear USA version(not as interesting as the BBC version) there was a show that had a challenge to make it from one city to another on one tank of fuel. They chose 3 different vehicles and if memory serves correct the DIC on all of them were incorrect. Not sure but think one of them ran close to 100 miles after it said 0 miles to empty. Good luck.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I have always heard the Exact Opposite... Opinions...

Who has the ability or want to only use 3/4 or less of the tank they completely paid for?
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote