Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #155
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
I just can't believe that they're putting the same head unit for all the other Camaros into the ZL1. I've sat in a GT500 before, and compared to ford's touchscreen Sync, the ZL1 will look bad. Despite the fact that the ZL1's price is not finalized, I would never buy a car in that price range that did not have in dash nav as standard. It's 2011.

Why is there a head unit that gives only two lines of text in this car? I've been in other GM cars that have in dash nav, and they were disappointments, so I guess maybe the Camaro team felt that any upgrade would have in fact been a distraction.
I agree, not because of NAV specifically but because of the ridiculous 3 lines of low resolution, Monochrome text. All modern cars should at least have the option for a color screen that can display several lines of text, not to mention some graphics. What's in the Camaro looks like something that the Corvette's of the 80's would have.

And no option for electronic climate control?

The head unit is really the only disappointment in this interior. I guess it'll keep companies like Metra, Scosche and Alpine happier with their conversion kits...
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #156
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
grab a tom tom or iphone app,

roll down the window,
mash the pedal,
and listen to the 556 horse symphony of destruction
as you roll over GT500's down the boulevard of dreams.

If it will keep the price below the Shelby, I dont need a big screen on the dash of my American Muscle.
Well said sir!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #157
badapple

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS AT
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Don't change anything, it's perfect. I love it. "Deep drive,center field, that babies outta here!!!" (Harry Kalas, imortal homerun phrase). I would like to also like to ad:

Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy!!! We are not worthy Chevy!!!! (all bow)
couldn't have said it better myself. the car is amazing.
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #158
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Even at 556hp, with the extra weight it's going to have over the new 2011 gt500, I think the ZL1 will be a close competition but not "running over the gt500".

Only time will tell though.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #159
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnow View Post
grab a tom tom or iphone app,

roll down the window,
mash the pedal,
and listen to the 556 horse symphony of destruction
as you roll over GT500's down the boulevard of dreams.

If it will keep the price below the Shelby, I dont need a big screen on the dash of my American Muscle.
Don't NEED bluetooth, USB, mp3 or even AC for that matter but a LOT of people want them.

As far as cost... They Could've used off-the-shelf double-din units and SAVED the costs of designing a Camaro-specific head unit.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #160
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I will jump on the band wagon with the fog light set up. When we first saw pictures, hardly anyone noticed the car had TWO sets of fog lights. Everyone was outraged by the steering wheel.

The Leno fogs look much better. I also like the hood better on the Leno car but I still like this one as well. I also like that it is Carbon (optional clear coat only?)

Its just odd with 6 lights.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #161
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
So much humor!

You guys who want NAV etc etc... well....

all I can say is YOU BETTER KNOW WHERE YOU'RE HEADING BEFORE YOU POINT THIS WEAPON!

No nav needed for me thank you! LOL
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #162
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Thank you Camaro team for producing an impressive vehicle! I am sold as it is. But for my wish list:

1. I would like a convertible option.

2. Update the grille, Leno or heritage will work. Something that ties the upper/lower grille visual.

3. I would like exclusive colors offered. Jetstream Blue chops look awesome!

4. How about upgrading the brightness of the halo's to serve as DRL? Done as LED's works for Audi & Porsche.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #163
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
You guys who want NAV etc etc... well....

all I can say is YOU BETTER KNOW WHERE YOU'RE HEADING BEFORE YOU POINT THIS WEAPON!

No nav needed for me thank you! LOL
I honestly don't even want NAV. I like what's on my phone and it's always up to date with the latest maps.

But I most definitely would like:
  • a COLOR screen
  • With more than 3 lines of text
  • Electronic Climate Control where I can set the temp and leave it

It's SO much nicer scrolling through a list of songs on an iPod if you can see more than 2-3 songs at a time in the list. And it's 2011 not 1985. A COLOR screen should at least be an option.

I still can't get used to that head unit in the Camaro. It looks like a video game from the 80's and reminds me of the robot in Lost in Space, with the way the knobs come out, looking like robot arms.

Last edited by Eich; 02-22-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adding image
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #164
Eich

Luckily there's something like this available but the factory could do better:

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #165
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
Luckily there's something like this available but the factory could do better:

WAY too much glitz for this muscle car. I can appreciate flashing lights and 28 gazillion bit color displays as much as the next guy, but the retro head unit blends too nicely with the rest of the clearly retro interior to muss it up with a nav, or any other giant Vegas billboard. And it's perfectly comprehensive. it does everything the average musclecar enthusiast needs it to do without being overkill.

I say it's good as-is. Like you said, if you want more, there's always Alpine...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #166
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
WAY too much glitz for this muscle car. I can appreciate flashing lights and 28 gazillion bit color displays as much as the next guy, but the retro head unit blends too nicely with the rest of the clearly retro interior to muss it up with a nav, or any other giant Vegas billboard. And it's perfectly comprehensive. it does everything the average musclecar enthusiast needs it to do without being overkill.

I say it's good as-is. Like you said, if you want more, there's always Alpine...
I'm one of the biggest techno geeks that I know, but I agree with you completely. That's not what this car is about IMO.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #167
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:

Well the head unit definitely isn't retro 60's like the IP, more like a retro 90's boom box. It's one of my least favorite parts of the interior.

Reminds me of this:

chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #168
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
I'm one of the biggest techno geeks that I know, but I agree with you completely. That's not what this car is about IMO.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I honestly don't even want NAV. I like what's on my phone and it's always up to date with the latest maps.

But I most definitely would like:
  • a COLOR screen
  • With more than 3 lines of text
  • Electronic Climate Control where I can set the temp and leave it

It's SO much nicer scrolling through a list of songs on an iPod if you can see more than 2-3 songs at a time in the list. And it's 2011 not 1985. A COLOR screen should at least be an option.

I still can't get used to that head unit in the Camaro. It looks like a video game from the 80's and reminds me of the robot in Lost in Space, with the way the knobs come out, looking like robot arms.

that's just funny right there, I don't care who you are...