Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #43
cflbuckeye

Drives: 2012 Convertible Camaro 2SS w/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc's1LE View Post
what rear diffuser is that ??
Havoc rear diffuser.
cflbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
Good info here! I'll be installing mine today or tomorrow
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #45
cflbuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod6410 View Post
Good info here! I'll be installing mine today or tomorrow
Good luck buddy. Just take it slow and enjoy a couple beers while you admire your ride afterwards.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #46
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
looks great! excellent video, ill be needing this in the future for sure
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
Htnjac

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the video, very helpful.
Htnjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #48
ranlights78

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Just wanted to say thanks! I was able to have mine on in about an hour thanks to you.
ranlights78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #49
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Thanks for the video, it was a big help removing the side skirt. I had to remove the skirt for a replacement fender install.

I think I found a way to make this a little easier.

1) Place painters/detailers tape to protect the door and fender paint.
2) Remove the Torx 20 screws from the front and rear wheel wells adjacent to the side skirt being removed.
3) Open car door above the side skirt.
4) Use trim tool (same as OP video) to remove clips. Start at the rear. Removal technique it to apply slight outward pressure (i.e. pull) on the side skirt and use the trim tool to release the clip "tooth" on one side and then the other. The clip will then pop out.
5) Move forward to next clip and repeat.
6) Once the top row of clips is out, repeat the process on the lower set starting in the rear again.

Using this technique, you never have to use a mallet. Upon rocker panel inspection, a mallet is guaranteed to break the front most clip on the lower row.

Installation technique

1) Place all clips in the rocker panel including lower "slide" clips.
2) Push lower row of clips into place (back to front).
3) Push upper row of clips into place (back to front).
4) Re-install wheel well Torx 20 screws.
5) Remove Painters/Detailers tape.

Using this technique I did not break any clips and had no trouble with the upper row clip near the door as the OP did.

However, if I hadn't seen the OP's video, I would have broken several clips. It's much easier to go second.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #50
cflbuckeye

Intensifi,

Thanks for the video critique and appreciation, and like I professed in my video...I am no expert, just a guy that isn't afraid to dive into something and figure it out. I am one of those people that process much better seeing, so I was thinking a video would be helpful, but I know there are guys likely more comfortable than I that just need a step by step, so thanks for putting one together. The only added step I would spell out is to make sure to install the weather striping on the new skirt, but that may be obvious to some.

I would totally agree that once you have done even one side, it's far more simpler to do it again.

Take care brother.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #51
cflbuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranlights78 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks! I was able to have mine on in about an hour thanks to you.
Sure thing...this site has been an immense help to me, so giving back is the least I can do.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #52
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Is the vid still working? Not seeing it..
Old 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
Chef Camaro
Cooking is My Life.

Drives: 2012 1LS
Soo glad you did this DIY! I just got my rockers in today and will hopefully be putting them on soon.

My Build Thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222338
Chef Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #54
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflbuckeye View Post
Guys/Gals,

Since this site has been such a big help to me, I thought I would give back. I made a video (best I could) of how to remove your stock side skirts (rockers) and install the ZL1 side skirts (rockers).

How I did it may not be the right way, but I couldn't find a single video on it...so I hope what I have here is better then nothing for anyone looking to do this mod.

As an early Christmas present I decided to buy a set of ZL1 Rockers and got a smoking deal as part of black Friday.
I'll get them in here in a week or so.
Since my car is off the road for the winter and after doing some research on how to install these, I stumbled upon this awesome DIY/video.
After watching it I immediately went into the garage and tried my passenger side. Within 30 minutes I had it off. It was a pain in the ass and I went about it in a different way but overall I got it done and only broke 1 clip. The video was very helpful and guided me on what tools to use and showing me that painters tape was indeed a necessity.
I didn't need a rubber mallet at all and didn't need to smack the rocker to the rear, I just simply went up from rear to front popping the clips and that worked for me.
Thanks for the awesome DIY and setting me on the right track with this install!!
Attached Images

CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #55
skitchin

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 A6
cflbuckeye just wanted to pop in and say thank you so much for making this video. If it weren't for you posting this I probably wouldn't have worked up the courage to remove my rockers myself!

As others have chimed in, you don't need the mallet. The first side I did took me a while to get comfortable and get a feel for it, but I swear the other side only took 5-10 minutes in all. I used the long skinny pick like tool for the top and then there's one with more of a hook on it - the back of this tool is flat so once you have it positioned around the clip you can just sort of lightly bump it with your hand and the clip comes right out.

It might be easier to actually work from front to rear for the top, because you can sort of cheat and get the first clip up front from the behind through the wheel well. I went rear to front for the lower clips. I recommend skipping the top clip by the door hinge until you've got the rest of the top out, it's sort of a pita to get to.

My only other tip is on the top clips work the tool up/down and left/right simultaneously, doesn't take much force to free the clips it's more about the leverage.

skitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #56
cflbuckeye

Glad I could help, this site was awesome for me when I had my camaro. As I professed, not an expert...just figured I would share how I did it. I no longer have my Camaro another baby on the way and the thought of two car seats on the back forced my hand to make a change.

Take care fellas and have fun!