Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Daily Drivers & Snow - Keeping it clean

Like a few other people on here I will be daily driving this, sometimes in snow. Snow when it is sludgy and dirty is incredibly messy and looks like complete @ss on a car.

In addition to that, some of your roads may not use the liquid snow melting formula and may just drop salt instead. I have heard that you can and must clean underneath the car as soon as the temps hit 33 degrees or so. Most car washes are closed at this time, and a lot of people turn the valve to their outside hoses off as well during winter.

So I am guessing that most of us in areas like this will just turn the valve back on for this, etc... but what other tips do you guys have for not letting your Camaro get screwed by the disgusting, dirty brown snow and salt?

Immediate coat of wax after purchase? etc etc. I am new to this so all input is appreciated
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
GMGP5X

Drives: 2011 2LT RS VR 2008 Silverado 2500
I know you do not want to hear this, but keep your beater to drive in the snow. I parked our Gen5 in the winter and drove our truck.
2LT RS VR / ARK DTS Cat back exhaust / Roto-Fab CAI / RPI stealth mud guards /Defender works billet chrome door sills/ DIY painted engine cover, trunk corners, and brake rotors / RX catch can / Team LLT badges. Team LLT
GMGP5X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
jbawden

Drives: Vsport
California for the win! Sorry, that was douchey.
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
Like a few other people on here I will be daily driving this, sometimes in snow. Snow when it is sludgy and dirty is incredibly messy and looks like complete @ss on a car.

In addition to that, some of your roads may not use the liquid snow melting formula and may just drop salt instead. I have heard that you can and must clean underneath the car as soon as the temps hit 33 degrees or so. Most car washes are closed at this time, and a lot of people turn the valve to their outside hoses off as well during winter.

So I am guessing that most of us in areas like this will just turn the valve back on for this, etc... but what other tips do you guys have for not letting your Camaro get screwed by the disgusting, dirty brown snow and salt?

Immediate coat of wax after purchase? etc etc. I am new to this so all input is appreciated
I live in MD.

I daily drive my '13 2SS through the snow.

Near me the coin wash never closes they leave the water on all season. Only thing is you have to play the game of science and only wash your car when it does not instantly freeze.

As long as it is in the 20's I can still wash my car and I always shoot it under the car and wheel wells.
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars and Tea View Post
I live in MD.

I daily drive my '13 2SS through the snow.

Near me the coin wash never closes they leave the water on all season. Only thing is you have to play the game of science and only wash your car when it does not instantly freeze.

As long as it is in the 20's I can still wash my car and I always shoot it under the car and wheel wells.
What do you do for tires in the winter. The Gen5 SS came with summer tires, do you switch to all-season, or have a second set of wheels with snow tires?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
I have 19" all seasons on my '12 1LT... the stock Pirelli P-Zeros. They're relatively capable in snow but of course not ideal. I've had some instances where it was extremely difficult to start off again from a red light, fishtailing and things of that nature. I also have three relatively large sand bags in my trunk. I don't feel unsafe driving my car in snow, but if I can help it, like if the forecast says snow in the afternoon or so and I have to work, I'll take another car in my house to be safe. If it's just an inch or two the car is more than capable, but maybe 3 inches or more it starts to become harder to maneuver. I'm not even sure how the RS summer tires would work... I wouldn't want to think about it!
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #7
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
I would use a glass coating (or durable sealant). Beforehand a light polish is highly recommended.

http://news.esotericcarcare.com/how-...glass-coating/

Wax won't last long in harsh conditions.
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I DD my 2010 Camaro all winter long as long as it's not slick outside. I purchased a monthly pass at a local enclosed drive through car wash that has an undercarriage wash... just drive through on the way to the grocery store as many times as I want.
Works great.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #9
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I DD my 2010 Camaro all winter long as long as it's not slick outside. I purchased a monthly pass at a local enclosed drive through car wash that has an undercarriage wash... just drive through on the way to the grocery store as many times as I want.
Works great.
How does your Camaro drive in the snow?
This is my first Camaro. I live in Cleveland where we get buckets of snow.
I have ordered the '16 2LT RS. I am already trying to get 18" snow tires and 18" wheels for this winter. Everyone on this forums says to go with smaller snow tires for winter.
What trim level do you drive?
What size snow tires do you use?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
How does your Camaro drive in the snow?
This is my first Camaro. I live in Cleveland where we get buckets of snow.
I have ordered the '16 2LT RS. I am already trying to get 18" snow tires and 18" wheels for this winter. Everyone on this forums says to go with smaller snow tires for winter.
What trim level do you drive?
What size snow tires do you use?
I DD my Camaro. Was in Rockies and Montana with it in winter. The thinner tires are for more piercing effect less snowboard. Plus cheaaaaper. 18 wheels were the smalles the fifth gen guys could go easily. The fifth gen was a tank in snow and ice with the proper tires. All seasons are not winter. I used 20 245 for winter set on a pinch as well.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
I DD my Camaro. Was in Rockies and Montana with it in winter. The thinner tires are for more piercing effect less snowboard. Plus cheaaaaper. 18 wheels were the smalles the fifth gen guys could go easily. The fifth gen was a tank in snow and ice with the proper tires. All seasons are not winter. I used 20 245 for winter set on a pinch as well.

Tirerack does have 20" snow tires NOW. But they don't have the 18" snow tires for the 2016 camato, as of today. They hope to get them in soon. But the trouble is I'm in Cleveland and it will start snowing by Decemeber 1.

Based on your experience with driving Camaros in the snow, should I go with 18" snow tires OR 20" snow tires?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
Tirerack does have 20" snow tires NOW. But they don't have the 18" snow tires for the 2016 camato, as of today. They hope to get them in soon. But the trouble is I'm in Cleveland and it will start snowing by Decemeber 1.

Based on your experience with driving Camaros in the snow, should I go with 18" snow tires OR 20" snow tires?
Having just that set for winter to throw on is nice, I am not 100% sure on the sizes for 6th gen, and may not always be the right choice short term economically or space for storage.

I invested in a cheap "pressure washer" from Home Depot and sprayed the salt and sludge off the car in driveway when the car wasn't freezing the water.

The right tires work till you hit ground clearence issues which means you shouldn't be driving hehe

Last edited by SPCBA; 11-01-2015 at 12:31 PM.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #13
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
The good car stays in the garage in the snowy weather, that will not start any time soon.
The DD gets washed though at a hand wash place. The warm and sunny driver never even gets a water wash.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #14
SPCBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68Z28 View Post
The good car stays in the garage in the snowy weather, that will not start any time soon.
The DD gets washed though at a hand wash place. The warm and sunny driver never even gets a water wash.
Not everyone has this opportunity, even less will keep the car longer than the rust and corrosion warranty.