Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #43
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
My L99 is "quieter" now that this work has been performed, but the passenger side now has a slight/moderate "tick" (one lifter) noise when warm that wasn't there before the AFM lifter repair. Does not seem to be loud enough to cause concern just yet.

I also have a "smell" (like hot oil) that creeps into the car after driving at 30+ MPH with a warm engine and then stop at a light/sign for about 15 to 20 seconds. The shop foreman continues to suggest that it is the anti seize compound used on the bolts for the exhaust manifolds. It's getting a little less persistent, but not to the level that I can ignore it (yet). I can smell it best up by the front passenger side of the engine, but I cannot find anything leaking to cause the smell.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #44
mgoodbar
White 2ss, LT, CAI, Tune

Drives: 2010 L99
my dealer told me i need to get a oil filter with a check valve in it to hold pressure on the lifters. I told him to get bent... my still goes tik tik tik.... going to take it to a differant dealer... I some times get a oil smell in my car..
mgoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #45
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I was reading the work they did and all I could think about was "Perfect time to do this and that while it's opened up.

So all is good now?
I agree completely, I could have had my car have a bunch of cool stuff installed!

So far, all is good! I'm gonna do some more driving today and see if I notice anything different...or better
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #46
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftz33 View Post
My L99 is "quieter" now that this work has been performed, but the passenger side now has a slight/moderate "tick" (one lifter) noise when warm that wasn't there before the AFM lifter repair. Does not seem to be loud enough to cause concern just yet.

I also have a "smell" (like hot oil) that creeps into the car after driving at 30+ MPH with a warm engine and then stop at a light/sign for about 15 to 20 seconds. The shop foreman continues to suggest that it is the anti seize compound used on the bolts for the exhaust manifolds. It's getting a little less persistent, but not to the level that I can ignore it (yet). I can smell it best up by the front passenger side of the engine, but I cannot find anything leaking to cause the smell.
The smells will go away. I had that when I put my blower on. I spilled gas, coolant, oil from the manifold and maybe a few other things on my engine during the install. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
I agree completely, I could have had my car have a bunch of cool stuff installed!

So far, all is good! I'm gonna do some more driving today and see if I notice anything different...or better
Well, being a warranty item they wouln't have doen any upgrades. Both the dealerships here wouldnt do it even if I paid them. They just refuse to do anything modified no matter what. Suspension, wheels, engine, nothing.........
Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #47
TrojanRay2418

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
I heard the lifters as well on my car. I hated hearing a new car tap so I thought about it and came to conclusion even with a warranty service techs don't want to fix your car. Then I asked myself do I really want them to touch my car? Go in for one thing another problem returned to me possibly.
I had a ls3 conversion with compression bump and a cam added
Best decision I ever made.

Afm is bs
how much did this cost you?
TrojanRay2418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #48
RoadMonkey
that's how we do it

Drives: '20 ZL1 / A10 Shadow Gray
I starting working for a GM dealer 23 years ago... It sucks to know that customers have to deal with poorly trained employees. Mostly the ones that think they know everything and would sooner make up some b/s then try to really help their customer. But, I have to say we have some great tech's and I'm still not excited about letting them under my hood to fix my lifter noise under warranty. Can't decide between warranty, doing it myself or living with it.
[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=black]'02 Camaro SS/SLP 6spd
RoadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Guess I just joined this camp. My car had been rattling lifters at start up, as did my avalanche and my other camaro...so what, right? Well, a lifter got stuck Friday and it does it all the time. It's a nasty tick. I'm going to talk to a dealer tomorrow. I parked the car within 5 miles of the tick being audible.
I'm hoping to pay the extra for some ls7 lifters and leave the afm tuned out so that this won't happen again.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #50
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Lol...well gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville, AR rocks....James was all keyed up ready for the car....taking it in tomorrow. Guess what quit ticking today? Lol. Oh well, it needs an oil change and some gears!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #51
white ZL1

Drives: none
All of this talk about tech's not wanting to do work blows my mind. A friend of mine was a Ford and GM tech and while he was paid a salary, he was also paid a "bonus" for every job he finished in less than book time.
Example, if GM paid 6 hours to replace lifters under warranty, and he completed it in 4 hours then he would get a percentage of the money for the extra 2 hours that the dealership was reimbursed for. He then went on to the next job, and again hoped to have the job finished quicker than GM's expected/allotted time.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #52
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Does this sound normal? Doesn't sound ok to me and I've only noticed it within the last few weeks/months. Mileage=35500.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #53
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Sounds like the fuel injectors doing their normal job.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #54
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Sounds like the fuel injectors doing their normal job.
The sound is noticeable now whereas before I never heard it. I hear it at drive throughs or when I'm next to a wall or anything solid. I've been checking it out for the last few days in different scenarios. It's definitely bothering me and it seems to be loudest after a rev of the engine.

I'll be taking it to the dealer but really hate to!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #55

Drives: 2SS
Hope everything it`s ok! Keep us posted! There are some videos with the L99 making the same noise and a user on the C5 put another 25000 miles on it and nothing happened.....
332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #56
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 332 View Post
Hope everything it`s ok! Keep us posted! There are some videos with the L99 making the same noise and a user on the C5 put another 25000 miles on it and nothing happened.....
Haven't seen that one. Link?

I'll be taking it in next week, just to be sure!