Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Reverse reliability question. Is the camaro too reliable?

As of this morning I passed 20,000 miles in my car in 19 months. Which means I have 16K miles left on the warranty and another year or so to go.
My camaro has been rock solid with out a single squeak (except the Leather seat wrinkle issue that the dealer fixed).
Now the camaro is my first new car and by car the most technically advanced car I have owned. The amount of gadgets just scares me and as an engineer I know all electronics fail. I am not one of those guys that believes that domestic cars are any less reliable than Japanese cars and having owned Toyotas (used) I know that every car eventually breaks down.
Now my issue is since I have the warranty I WANT my car to break down so that I can get stuff fixed on the warranty. For example is my windshield wiper is eventually gonna fail might as well have it fail when its under warranty.

I want all my car's issues to be worked out NOW white its under warranty... Am I the only one who wants my car's ipod adapter, radio, seat mover thingie(my first car with electronic seats). Dammit I wont be happy until My steering wheel buttons (also a first for me) fail.

Any comments?
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
As an engineer you'd prefer everything break on your car every 20k miles? My comment would be I don't want you to engineer anything for me.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Remember what mamma alwys said.....well at least my mother did............ "Be careful what you ask for ". Better yet, What Dad said.......well at least mine did ............." Wish in one hand and Crap in the other, you'll come to realize which one fills up the fastest, you won't like the results".............or better yet the Bible says. " Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find".......................problematically asking that something fail prematuarally precludes destinies hand playing things out, or may add a unknown variable causing the failure to spiral completely out of control.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Most issues tend to happen before warranty is up if you are taking proper care of the car (but also actually driving it and not grandma-ing it).

Beyond that, it should be clear until you start getting age related issues, which should take quite a while.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
If something fails within the time-frame of your warranty, there's a good chance it'll fail again later on when it's not warrantied. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
builder11150

Drives: 1987 Trans Am
If you wanted a car with parts that fail after 20k miles, you should have bought a Kia.
builder11150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
BLACKCAMARO2SS

Drives: 50TH ANNIVERSARY 2SS CONVERTIBLE
You can always buy an extended warranty.
BLACKCAMARO2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Really? I mean really? Just go have a beer and relax.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
my reverse hasnt failed me yet-
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
My last car - 195K - no wiper issues. Damn - don't wish for it!

Today's cars are the most reliable ever constructed. There is no reason to expect anything to fail early, and by that I mean before about 100K.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangorover View Post
As of this morning I passed 20,000 miles in my car in 19 months. Which means I have 16K miles left on the warranty and another year or so to go.
My camaro has been rock solid with out a single squeak (except the Leather seat wrinkle issue that the dealer fixed).
Now the camaro is my first new car and by car the most technically advanced car I have owned. The amount of gadgets just scares me and as an engineer I know all electronics fail. I am not one of those guys that believes that domestic cars are any less reliable than Japanese cars and having owned Toyotas (used) I know that every car eventually breaks down.
Now my issue is since I have the warranty I WANT my car to break down so that I can get stuff fixed on the warranty. For example is my windshield wiper is eventually gonna fail might as well have it fail when its under warranty.

I want all my car's issues to be worked out NOW white its under warranty... Am I the only one who wants my car's ipod adapter, radio, seat mover thingie(my first car with electronic seats). Dammit I wont be happy until My steering wheel buttons (also a first for me) fail.

Any comments?
Is this the way all engineer's think? I hope not.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
As an engineer you'd prefer everything break on your car every 20k miles? My comment would be I don't want you to engineer anything for me.

Chances are nothing will go wrong that isn't a wear item. You needn't worry over what could happen. Just enjoy the ride.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
My last car - 195K - no wiper issues. Damn - don't wish for it!

Today's cars are the most reliable ever constructed. There is no reason to expect anything to fail early, and by that I mean before about 100K.
that is usually fair to say with of course the right maintenance, and care. of course i would expect maybe a few little things. for example they replaced my blown speaker, and i needed a new key.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Is this the way all engineer's think? I hope not.
Not all engineers think this way… This is a strange way of thinking if you ask me.

If it fails under warranty someone didn’t do their job right. If something fails early and is replaced with the same part… well it is probably going to fail again soon.

Generally speaking, electronics are more reliable than mechanical components. I’d even bet most electronic issues are cause because of a mechanical failure (lose ground lug, broken switch), not because the electronics 'stopped working'. The only electrical issue I ever had was on a Toyota and the alarm kept going off because the chassis ground connection had worked its way loose.

This isn’t to say there are sometimes compromises made to save cost such that an item may fail just outside of warranty. With no cost restrictions, however, things are typically way overdesigned to reduce the likelihood of failure over the life of the product.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote