Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
V6 Gas Questions

I did a search on this subject and nothing helped explain it for me.
A few questions.....

1. Regular gas is recommended for the V6 Camaro but, different companies add different compounds into their gas. Some have ethenol added....others cleaners and detergents.....which company has the best regular gas?

2. Can the V6 handle the higher grades...are they cleaner...better...worth the extra money?

2a. Do the premium grades work well in the V6....is preformance increased?....is miles per gallon increased? Horse power increased?

3. Does using fuel with ethenol make any difference in the Chevy V6?

I guess my main question is....What is the best fuel out there for the V6?
Please list the octane and company you prefer and why....

I use Chevron regular, I believe its 85 octane w/10% ethenol.
The Shell station across the street has 20% ethenol....is usually a few cents less per gallon but my car seems to run rougher when I use it.
Thoughts, opinions, comments....just don't tell me all Gas stations are the same and it does'nt make a difference.
Thanks!
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
20% ethanol is bad. I use Shell Premium here (10% ethanol). I tried regular but my gas mileage was worse. So, I use the premium Shell, sometimes Sunoco or Chevron. Avoid more than 10% ethanol though imo. Some people say Premium is better performance and mileage, some say no difference. My butt Dyno says premium is better, YMMV.

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
dtm4192

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28
I use ethanol free 93 octane (don't know the brand name, I get it at a local mom and pop station). Before I did any mods I ran 87 with no problems. I did fill it up with 93 when she was stock and didn't notice any difference. After I did my mods I filled it up with 93 and could tell the difference between 87 and 93. I avoid ethanol as much as I can because I personally don't think its good for the engine. If you were to run a car on E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gas), when it's designed for regular gas, it will run fine but the ethanol will eat away at the fuel lines. My logic is, if 85% ethanol will do that after a few tanks, 10% ethanol will do the same thing only it will take longer to do so. I could be wrong, but I'm going to stay safe and just stick with 100% gas.
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Several members here who use monitoring tools to watch their car's timing have shown the car pulling more timing with 87 grade fuel versus premium, which means your car's computer is ultimately taking away horsepower.

It may not be a big different, but if you want the most performance, premium grade seems to be the best.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
renke
IN10ZRS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2LT RS #39698
During the Hot Rod Power Tour I discussed what I had learned from the two dyno runs with a person walking into the Mid America Motorsports facility as follows:

1. Hytech Motorsports DynaJet Dyno 241 HP 224 TQ regular gas 87 octane

2. St. Paul Automotive Mustang Dyno 264 HP 222 TQ preimum gas 92 octane

The person then identified himself as an engineer from GM Performance Division and the results are exactly what we should expect from the 217 CI 3.6L V6. He then stated with 100 octane gas the engine can produce ~300 HP at the rear wheels or 371-375 HP at the driveshaft. WOW! Why buy a V8?

On the Hot Rod Power Tour I achived 24.79 MPG over 2868 miles driven. The high 29.6 MPG and the low 19.1 MPG. That was stop and go in towns, 55-85 MPH running on the highway, back country roads and 3 bursts to 125 MPH with a lot left to go. The figure also includes a one day 1272 mile, 19 hour 30 minute ride home. Holly crap thats 65.23 MPH average speed. A new personal best.
So if you are thinking of buying a new Camaro definetily consider the V6 engine.
[IMG]http://www.northstarcamaroclub.com/portals/0/forum/image/IN10ZRS/SN****55.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.northstarcamaroclub.com/portals/0/forum/image/IN10ZRS/SN****60.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://www.northstarcamaroclub.com/portals/0/forum/image/IN10ZRS/SN****54.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Deepsky
Deepsky

Drives: 1LT/RS, V6, CAI, AMT T-Rex
Send a message via ICQ to Deepsky
Which Gas

Because of the 11:1 comp. ratio, the only way the V6 can use the 87 octane is to retard timing ...esp. when "getting it on".
I monitored my specs with a Dashhawk and with a full tank of 87 octane, I would consistently read from a 3 to as much as 15 degree retard esp. in the very hot days here in SC. I eventually got a full tank of 93 Octane and the most I have seen is a 2.2 degree retard with heavy footed driving but mostly I get a 0.0 reading.
That translates to more power on the rear wheels and better gas mileage.
I get at 19.5 around town and I got 31 on my trip to Maryland in May.
Deepsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky View Post
Because of the 11:1 comp. ratio, the only way the V6 can use the 87 octane is to retard timing ...esp. when "getting it on".
I monitored my specs with a Dashhawk and with a full tank of 87 octane, I would consistently read from a 3 to as much as 15 degree retard esp. in the very hot days here in SC. I eventually got a full tank of 93 Octane and the most I have seen is a 2.2 degree retard with heavy footed driving but mostly I get a 0.0 reading.
That translates to more power on the rear wheels and better gas mileage.
I get at 19.5 around town and I got 31 on my trip to Maryland in May.
So you are using 93? Its not bad for it? So why would gm do 87 octane with the lower hp rating vs using a higher octane and advertising the V6 camaro at the higher hp?
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Several members here who use monitoring tools to watch their car's timing have shown the car pulling more timing with 87 grade fuel versus premium, which means your car's computer is ultimately taking away horsepower.

It may not be a big different, but if you want the most performance, premium grade seems to be the best.
Are these numbers real??!!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Deepsky
Deepsky

Which Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
So you are using 93? Its not bad for it? So why would gm do 87 octane with the lower hp rating vs using a higher octane and advertising the V6 camaro at the higher hp?
You need to understand the concept of "Octane" . Low octane burns "wild and to a degree ...uncontrolled. This can lead to overheating valves, spurs or carbon deposits and causing detonation.
Higher octane burns at a more controlled rate and temp., thus alleviating the hot spots and allowing more ADVANCE. It is the advance that gives you the power edge in gas types. I used to run 103 octane (basically Jet fuel) in my 1970 Camaro (307 CID -325 HP, Super modded by me and set a D/MP posting in 1970 at Phenix City Dragway, Alabama of 12.65..110.33 in the 1/4.) when I was in west Texas and could not get Premium.

Anyway, the 93 will only hurt your pocketbook...not your engine.

Your engine may be rated at 312 HP but even with 93 octane you are not putting that out ...at the rear wheels. The reason I believe for the 87 usage by GM is to get the economy minded driver to buy. GM knows that the true enthusiast will opt for premium.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky View Post
You need to understand the concept of "Octane" . Low octane burns "wild and to a degree ...uncontrolled. This can lead to overheating valves, spurs or carbon deposits and causing detonation.
Higher octane burns at a more controlled rate and temp., thus alleviating the hot spots and allowing more ADVANCE. It is the advance that gives you the power edge in gas types. I used to run 103 octane (basically Jet fuel) in my 1970 Camaro (307 CID -325 HP, Super modded by me and set a D/MP posting in 1970 at Phenix City Dragway, Alabama of 12.65..110.33 in the 1/4.) when I was in west Texas and could not get Premium.

Anyway, the 93 will only hurt your pocketbook...not your engine.

Your engine may be rated at 312 HP but even with 93 octane you are not putting that out ...at the rear wheels. The reason I believe for the 87 usage by GM is to get the economy minded driver to buy. GM knows that the true enthusiast will opt for premium.

Not to be a SOB but Jet fuel has an octane of about 53. It's nothing more than kerosene (Lamp Oil) that burns cleaner.

Anyways back on topic.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Deepsky
Deepsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Not to be a SOB but Jet fuel has an octane of about 53. It's nothing more than kerosene (Lamp Oil) that burns cleaner.

Anyways back on topic.
I went to the airport near Odessa and got essentially JP -4 if memory serves (1973) and it was rated at 103. The mechanic said It should be diluted with regular for best use and so I did...and it ran very nice.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

I wonder what the numbers would be for V6 at the crank would be with 92 octane.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
My tune from trifecta is perfect for both.....I have a tune for the 87 and a tune for the 93, both to reduce the spark retard.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
Interesting thoughts and opinions....thanks guys and gals but...
The question still remains....what Gas Station or company offers the best gas for the V6 and WHY???
C'mon...jet fuel?.....premium?....Yeah its only a difference of about $10 to $15 dollars a fill-up but is it really worth it?...does it make that big of a difference?.....will it have a long term effect on engine components?.....please someone convince me one way or the other....
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote