Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
oh wow this thread is going downhill fast. But as an older Gen y'er. teenagers always feel entitled. Their whole lives up to that point their parents were paying for the majority of their clothes, vacations, toys etc... Once you move out, you change your attitude... You learn with time that it takes work to get what you want.
True and somewhat easier to swallow with teens but I'm referring to the 20+ year olds that still think new cars, house down payments and everything else is the responsibility of their parents.

There was a study done that said the college students (in the US) had the highest self-esteem out of all previous generations but actually accomplished less than any other generation. It was also noted that comparing students world wide the ONLY thing American students excelled in was self-esteem. Other students in foreign countries excelled in science, math and physics.

I don't blame them (gen entitlement) entirely. It's our generation and this " everyone gets a trophy" BS. These kids just don't know what true competition is until it's too late. Nor do they have the toughness to withstand failure without retreating into a drug induced coma. We are over nurturing the youth.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post
True and somewhat easier to swallow with teens but I'm referring to the 20+ year olds that still think new cars, house down payments and everything else is the responsibility of their parents.

There was a study done that said the college students (in the US) had the highest self-esteem out of all previous generations but actually accomplished less than any other generation. It was also noted that comparing students world wide the ONLY thing American students excelled in was self-esteem. Other students in foreign countries excelled in science, math and physics.

I don't blame them (gen entitlement) entirely. It's our generation and this " everyone gets a trophy" BS. These kids just don't know what true competition is until it's too late. Nor do they have the toughness to withstand failure without retreating into a drug induced coma. We are over nurturing the youth.
Speaking of studies, one I remember concluded that the majority of today's youth only aspire "to be famous". This goal did not include a career or hard-work or even any responsibility. Only to "get on TV" or millions of You-Tube hits, or whatever, was the goal.

Whatever historical or socio-economic factors are involved, its pretty much a given that the "next" generation will be the first one to not be "better off" than their parents. I think the ticking-time bomb created to pamper or entitle this new generation will go off in the not too distant future.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Swiftdog01. I am an older Baby Boomer. Yes I remember Gen X and the 90's economic dot com boom. Issue was many Gen X'ers did not factor in historically we go through both boom and bust cycles. I did. I opened a .com business in the late 90s, geared to Gen. X, made big money and offered design services not previously offered on the web, but also because I am older knew the bubble would burst. I sold, cashed out only months before the .com collapse.
Knowing a little history goes a long way and could determine if you profit or go bust with a trend that is not sustainable. The .com trend / frenzy was not a sustainable trend. Inflating housing prices with low income loans was not a sustainable trend. Knowing economic history is why I sold my .com business before the bubble burst. Knowing the housing market bubble would burst, I sold off realestate before the housing market collasped.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Right on OP!

And for the record, it goes:
Baby boomers
Gen X
Gen Y
Millenials

Edit: Wikipedia has it that gen Y is the same as millenials. Not how I remember studying it in grad school, but then again I was drunk half the time.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Perhaps previous generations have develped a generation set up to fail. Granted the current generation has issues they must deal with, but each previous generation had new issues to deal with.
So tired of hearing that a current generation must clean up left over crap from a previous generation. Issue I have in North America is people not taking responsibility for their own actions and blaming others. Major issue in education. Not my fault my child failed, must be the fault of others so I will sue. My child failed because educators screwed up, never the issue the child failed because they did not learn the course, and parents refuse to take responsibility. We now have a society that anything bad in your life is someone elses fault. We have raised a generation of young people that do not accept responsibilty for their own actions.
Always, someone elses fault for failure.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post

I have yet to meet one person in their 20's that expects their parents to pay for their car/house. School, sure. But that's a completely different topic and really can be argued both ways. I happened to graduate college just before the economy tanked in 07 and I was able to get a great first job easily. But there are so many people I know just 1 or 2 years younger than me with college degrees that have been working jobs like FedEx carrier or dog walker for several years and they're still actively looking for employment in their field of study... I know very few that are satisfied with living @ home with their parents rent free.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Generation Y FTW!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
You got lucky meeting someone with a little sense. I graduated from college last june and Id say half of the kids I went to school with were idiots. Jersey shore wanna be's. And these kids have no respect for anything at all. I had my gixxer pushed over at school, cracked windshield on my car, dents, scrapes. These kids now a days are just dumb and disrespectful from watching to many stupid reality shows.

I also blame the parents for this problem too, because most of the kids I went to highschool had $50,000 cars their parent bought them. Never worked a day in their lives, and got full rides for sports to amazing colleges and ended up dropping out. The parents were people who worked their way up from nothing and wanted to give their kids everything they never had growing up. Which ended up screwing every kid up.

I however was working 30+ hours a week washing dishes at a pizza place and graduated with honors, because I never once got any hand outs. And, Im glad I didnt get any, because I appreciate the things I can afford and thats exactly how im going to raise my kids. Hard work never killed anyone
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjames View Post
You got lucky meeting someone with a little sense. I graduated from college last june and Id say half of the kids I went to school with were idiots. Jersey shore wanna be's. And these kids have no respect for anything at all. I had my gixxer pushed over at school, cracked windshield on my car, dents, scrapes. These kids now a days are just dumb and disrespect from watching to many stupid reality shows.
This was the same thing I saw in college as well (Dec. '10 graduate). My friend's Eclipse had water put in the gas tank and hydro-locked. My RX-7 got messed with a couple times. And there were so many kids who were just there on parents' money and didn't give a crap about anyone else...
Sad, but true. Not to say there weren't good individuals, but they are getting harder to come by. I worked my butt off to get my college scholarships and still had to get a couple student loans, but I paid for college myself. I will never understand what I call the "Reality TV Gen"
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
Dang-o-rama, did y'all ever have a hay ride with my thread or did ya?!?!!

Generational studies were a big focus of mine in college. Which, upon conclusion of several studies and provable statistical analyses, lead me to the conclusion of:

Old people suck. Not old people suck. Dogs are cool.

There; just saved you folks oodles of moolah. You're welcome.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAR2LT View Post
Dang-o-rama, did y'all ever have a hay ride with my thread or did ya?!?!!

Generational studies were a big focus of mine in college. Which, upon conclusion of several studies and provable statistical analyses, lead me to the conclusion of:

Old people suck. Not old people suck. Dogs are cool.

There; just saved you folks oodles of moolah. You're welcome.

LMAO well played Lt.
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
This thread is interesting. I hate how most people speaking their minds say everyone is like that. In reality not as many people are slackers as you claim.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #27
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
I have yet to meet one person in their 20's that expects their parents to pay for their car/house. School, sure. But that's a completely different topic and really can be argued both ways. I happened to graduate college just before the economy tanked in 07 and I was able to get a great first job easily. But there are so many people I know just 1 or 2 years younger than me with college degrees that have been working jobs like FedEx carrier or dog walker for several years and they're still actively looking for employment in their field of study... I know very few that are satisfied with living @ home with their parents rent free.
Well believe me, they are out there. I know of a couple of parents who actually bought their kids townhouses to just get their kids out of their own houses.

At the same time I don't want to generalize and say everyone is like that.

*I'm 42, so don't think I'm some old coot waving my finger around and yelling at kids to get off of my lawn.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
austinjames
Account Suspend...Right

Drives: Synergy LS & Vulcan 1600cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
This was the same thing I saw in college as well (Dec. '10 graduate). My friend's Eclipse had water put in the gas tank and hydro-locked. My RX-7 got messed with a couple times. And there were so many kids who were just there on parents' money and didn't give a crap about anyone else...
Sad, but true. Not to say there weren't good individuals, but they are getting harder to come by. I worked my butt off to get my college scholarships and still had to get a couple student loans, but I paid for college myself. I will never understand what I call the "Reality TV Gen"
Its sad to hear for sure that stuff for sure. But, your right there are a few good ones, Ive meet a lot of good people and lifelong friends in college. But, most of the people there were and are disrespectful "Reality TV Gen" idiots.