Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
I commend your generosity.

When modding our cars, we all know that we will never get back what we put into it. It's a risk we all knowingly take, and its a bummer when the worst-case scenario happens, but by modding we tacitly agree to going out on that ledge.

The major difference I tried to point out is that this is a car, and I'm making an assumption here based on the amount/worth of modifications and he C3 Corvette on the side, but the car of someone who is fairly well-off financially. A distinctly different situation when compared to tornado victims who have lost their homes, and in worse cases, family and friends.

We all work hard for the money we have and it's your right to spend it however you want, so I don't want to give off the impression that I am disparaging anyone's generosity or kindness. This is a great community and its cool to see every one band together - whether I agree with the cause is ultimately besides the point as the fraternity around our shared passion should take center stage. With that said, I'll bow out of the conversation.
No worries, brother...Your points are well taken and certainly the gravity of other situations is obviously in another category. But still, if anyone wants to help him out, I don't think they need to feel guilty about it or ashamed. Giving is contagious, and may get the ball rolling for needier causes as well....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
I dont know why people take the time to post on a thread in a negative way. If you dont want to donate, dont. But dont discourage others from giving to a cause.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Look guys, IMO it's an option of something to donate to. If someone chooses to donate to this cause and not any other cause that is their choice. Who am I to judge someone's choice on their donations? I totally understand your opinion on the tornado victims and I agree, however I am not going to be upset at someone for not donating to any cause or choosing one cause over another.

As another said, we all work hard for our money, what we choose to do with it is up to us and this is just another option of how to spend it.

With that said, the only thing I wish is that people would be more giving, no matter the cause.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
No worries, brother...Your points are well taken and certainly the gravity of other situations is obviously in another category. But still, if anyone wants to help him out, I don't think they need to feel guilty about it or ashamed. Giving is contagious, and may get the ball rolling for needier causes as well....
I agree, we can set up a charity a month or something like that, everyone can donate a dollar a month, and it can go to any worth cause or w/e.

Whoops! Sorry if I stirred the pot, i didnt start the paypal charity thing. There's always someone who needs it more. This is one of the causes I felt was worthy of my 10$ this week.

Everyone does whatever they want with their money. A good friend of my family is a millionaire, I still bought him a 50$ christmas present, obviously he could buy that himself. I know thats not the best analogy, but you get it.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #19
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
I will donate in near future this guy has helped me out numerous times on this site , and his insight is great , Like others said nothing wrong with helping out a guy ! Look at all the things he put out there and saved many hundreds if not thousands .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
I commend your generosity.

When modding our cars, we all know that we will never get back what we put into it. It's a risk we all knowingly take, and its a bummer when the worst-case scenario happens, but by modding we tacitly agree to going out on that ledge.

The major difference I tried to point out is that this is a car, and I'm making an assumption here based on the amount/worth of modifications and he C3 Corvette on the side, but the car of someone who is fairly well-off financially. A distinctly different situation when compared to tornado victims who have lost their homes, and in worse cases, family and friends.

We all work hard for the money we have and it's your right to spend it however you want, so I don't want to give off the impression that I am disparaging anyone's generosity or kindness. This is a great community and its cool to see every one band together - whether I agree with the cause is ultimately besides the point as the fraternity around our shared passion should take center stage. With that said, I'll bow out of the conversation.

Edit: I also commend RJ for his post the other day stating its not about the money donated, it's the fact that people WOULD donate. Whatever you do with the money donated is obviously your call, but I hope whatever you end up doing reflects the above mentality you claim to have.
Since you are playing the I'm better game. Have you donated to the Oklahoma victims? How about Katrina, how about Haiti, how about any of the shooting victims? Come on man be a little bit more mature than you are being right now.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #21
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Valid point - and while it's extremely sad and disparaging to hear about some ones passion and pride meeting this end, just ask yourself this. If it was another member who posted 1/2 or 1/4 as much and did not have as huge of a build thread (because they were worse off financially and could not afford those types of modifications) and this happened to them, do you think there would be as large of a rally to donate and help the person out since they aren't as "internet famous"?

I think it's amazing to see people help one of their own out in a hard time, but you have to wonder if the help is going where it should? To some one very well off who has (apparently?) a second car and money to spend on expensive modifications? Or one of the many threads on here where I have seen posters say they had to sell their pride and joy because finances are tight for a period of time or another similar situation. (Mind you, Ive seen several of those already since I joined this past November, and havent seen anyone posting to setup a paypall so they can make their car/insurance payments for a few months until they are back on their feet).

Has a point, I understand each side.. Your money choose what you want to do with it!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;6642389
Sorry but comparing major tragedies / atrocities to a totaled car is really not a great comparison.

I think we can all agree on that.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
I lost a house and all my possessions in Katrina, obviously losing my car isnt the same as losing my house. But someone donating to me in either of those cases would help me financially, and it feels good to have generous people help you with money, a place to stay, or food, or a freaking greeting card. It also made me more inclined to do the same when people are in a bad spot.

To some people, their car is just as important as their house or apartment, or the sum of all the stuff they have in that apartment.

I wouldnt compare it to losing a loved one. But I dont see a huge difference in damage to a house or to a car. Especially on a car enthusiast site.

Last edited by vroomapunk; 06-08-2013 at 10:33 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
It is not a debate - donate or don't - your call...I bet you would like us as a community to help you if this happened to your car. I know I would. I donated to a fellow car enthusiast as we are like minded individuals with lots of blood, sweat, tears and funds in our cars. I have an agreed value policy on my car because I know it is the only way I will get what I have out of mine if something like this happened...and I bet I would still not be fully compensated for all I have in it. As a community, this is a cool thing to do.

There are plenty of places accepting money for Tornado victims and Sandy victims alike.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
Hurst
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS, LS3
Oh my... I am fairly new to the forum. That is heart breaking...

Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
it is unfortunate that such a nice car got toasted. He is a constant advice giver on this forum and I wish him the best of luck with the next car...what ever he chooses
Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Does RJ not have insurance?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
PonyKiller74

Drives: 2012 Triple Black ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to PonyKiller74 Send a message via Yahoo to PonyKiller74
oh man.... hope everything works out. You can have my dollar
CenterForce DYAD Dual Disc Clutch, JDP stage 2 Clutch Reservoir, Rotofab CF CAI with Big Gulp and WW Reservoir Relocate, Stainess Works LT Headers and Retro Cat-Back with Cat Delete, MGW ST Shifter with custom Knob, CF Tail light Bezels, more to come...
Build Thread for my Z is in the works.....
PonyKiller74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #28
JustRaf
YOU.ONLY.LIVE.ONCE

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
Agreed 100%

RJ is an awesome dude from what I've seen here on the forums. Hope he gets things squared away quickly but common. How many other Camaros have been totaled on this site? If mine gets totaled can I set up a donation page to recoup some funds in my pocket? If this was for something along the lines of the guy on here who's daughter has cancer, which I donated to, that's fine. Anyways, ill end the rant here. Good luck RJ, sorry for your loss it was a beautiful ride.
With your attitude towards others good luck with the your donations if the same thing happened to you. But of course I wish not. If you don't want to give a hand then don't discourage other people who is willing to extend help in their own little ways.

Tags
black, camaro, donate, haters go away, stieger, stig