Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #239
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Fezza's are for pussies

If the ZL1 wants to make a chance of being a proper sports car, there's only one way to go: manual shifting.

(all IMO)
Agree 100%... And that comes from an actual European... I'm American, but we need to back off on the automatic "everything".
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #240
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Agree 100%... And that comes from an actual European... I'm American, but we need to back off on the automatic "everything".
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #241
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Fezza's are for pussies

If the ZL1 wants to make a chance of being a proper sports car, there's only one way to go: manual shifting.

(all IMO)
So by your logic cars that offer automatic transmissions are not sports cars? Just to clarify that means the following are not sports cars

Ferrari 458 Italia
Pagani Zonda R
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lexus LFA
Mercedes SLK350 Roadster
Mercedes SL550 Roadster
Mercedes SLS AMG
Porche 911 Turbo S
Audi R8
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
Nissan GTR

I don't think I need to continue...

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #242
GeorgeDenton
GeorgeLS1

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS V8 LS1 M6
I intend to buy ZL1 only if GM will offer an automatic as an option. I intend to move the car to an area with lots of steep hills and some traffic. Been waiting for it since 06. If GM will not offer an automatic as an option, they will defiantly loose money from this sale. I probably will buy 2SS instead and modify it to the specs of ZL1 through aftermarket companies, giving them my money (nothing against them). GM will loose the difference between prices of two cars. I rather put money in GM's pocket because i like Chevy and because i don't want them to bankrupt the second time and then pay the same amount in bail money from my taxes.

Another idea i had, is to exchange the manual tranny for an automatic. I know its possible to do it on some cars, but is it possible with high end car like ZL1. And what will i need for that (that might be a topic for another thread tho). But if anybody knows, any input will be welcome.

For manual guys, I know how to drive manual, took me about a day to learn, not perfect at it (nobody is). But I dont want to wreck my 55K (which im guessing it will be, all loaded) car just because im on a 45 degree hill. And whats yall b*tching about??? Manuals will be offered! Stop crying! Also, this thread is not for yall. If yall read the title of the tread, it says "automatic as an option"!!! Weather GM will offer it or not, it does not change anything for yall. Yet again, MANUALS WILL BE OFFERED. Also, how many manuals guys will not even buy ZL1 and voted no on auto? You are not even in their customer base for the car.

P.S. Voting poll is incorrect. Its shows opinions, not actual possible customer base for automatic (at least on this website). Even though the title of the tread says "do you want an automatic option", which concludes that you will buy the car and you want to see an option.
GeorgeDenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #243
thePill
Account Suspended

I don't understand where people think that a top end halo car produces profit and by not offering an automatic they will lose out on endless amounts of money. GM doesn't need to offer an automatic, if they do offer an automatic, it will cost more to offer one in a limited production run than it will to leave it out. GM is not going to make that much profit on this car (if any) that's how these top level, niche vehicles work. People get confused when hand built vehicles come with prototype equipment. Just because a hand built Zonda comes with a paddle shift doesn't mean its going to be the same automatic that GM offers.. lol... Same thing with IRS, people believe that there is only one kind of IRS and think that they have the Formula 1 inspired set up... The cars mentioned above for the most part are hand built, are in very limited numbers and absolutely have no budget.

Saying that a car simply doesn't appeal to you because there is no option available that fits your needs means that you are not the typical market this type of vehicle is intended for. Does anyone realize the difference in the gas guzzler tax between the two transmissions? Anyone realize that multiple transmission options force GM to build/purchase additional transmissions, test each configuration, warranty the units, and be capable of replacing those transmission for as long as the drivetrain warranty is good for? If an automatic pushes the MSRP up towards $60k w/o the GG tax and consumers decide that it is too much for a Camaro and buy the base ZL1 instead, the options start to cannibalize each other. Asking $50k for a pony car is pushing it as is...

Is having an automatic option, even if the competition doesn't offer one, sooooo important that you are willing to have GM gamble on the first year of availability? Would you really not buy the car if it doesn't come with one?

You do know that the 6L90 is available from GMPP, you can have the transmission if you really want one.. Support the aftermarket...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #244
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I don't understand where people think that a top end halo car produces profit and by not offering an automatic they will lose out on endless amounts of money. GM doesn't need to offer an automatic, if they do offer an automatic, it will cost more to offer one in a limited production run than it will to leave it out. GM is not going to make that much profit on this car (if any) that's how these top level, niche vehicles work. People get confused when hand built vehicles come with prototype equipment. Just because a hand built Zonda comes with a paddle shift doesn't mean its going to be the same automatic that GM offers.. lol... Same thing with IRS, people believe that there is only one kind of IRS and think that they have the Formula 1 inspired set up... The cars mentioned above for the most part are hand built, are in very limited numbers and absolutely have no budget.

Saying that a car simply doesn't appeal to you because there is no option available that fits your needs means that you are not the typical market this type of vehicle is intended for. Does anyone realize the difference in the gas guzzler tax between the two transmissions? Anyone realize that multiple transmission options force GM to build/purchase additional transmissions, test each configuration, warranty the units, and be capable of replacing those transmission for as long as the drivetrain warranty is good for? If an automatic pushes the MSRP up towards $60k w/o the GG tax and consumers decide that it is too much for a Camaro and buy the base ZL1 instead, the options start to cannibalize each other. Asking $50k for a pony car is pushing it as is...

Is having an automatic option, even if the competition doesn't offer one, sooooo important that you are willing to have GM gamble on the first year of availability? Would you really not buy the car if it doesn't come with one?

You do know that the 6L90 is available from GMPP, you can have the transmission if you really want one.. Support the aftermarket...
Another way to think about it is that while one could add a 6L90, then there's no warranty for it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #245
thePill
Account Suspended

I think some people here are getting a paddle-shift automatic transmission confused with a sequential manual transmission that uses a paddle shift... that is used in popular road racing circuits... Again.... what you see at a race track is not whats in your Cadillac....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #246
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Another way to think about it is that while one could add a 6L90, then there's no warranty for it.
I remember hearing GM starting a warrantied service like Ford back when the SSX was released. I would ask GMPP if they could dealer install a 6L90...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #247
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
So by your logic cars that offer automatic transmissions are not sports cars? Just to clarify that means the following are not sports cars

Ferrari 458 Italia
Pagani Zonda R
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lexus LFA
Mercedes SLK350 Roadster
Mercedes SL550 Roadster
Mercedes SLS AMG
Porche 911 Turbo S
Audi R8
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
Nissan GTR

I don't think I need to continue...
Yeah, please don't.. most of those cars use a sequential manual transmission or a dual clutch semi-automatic... If your transmission comes with a torque converter, it is not related to the two transmissions...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #248
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Camaro Tuner in Tampa. www.TampaTuning.com

www.TampaTuning.com

I really like the auto after a tune. it can be very fast and fun. From the factory stock, Its a bore.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #249
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
www.TampaTuning.com

I really like the auto after a tune. it can be very fast and fun. From the factory stock, Its a bore.
I know I just mentioned warranty, but this is something I'd look into right away; my bigger stall would already void it anyways, lol. Tuning and a stall on my '02 REALLY changed the car. People are too quick to dismiss and stalled car with a good tranny tune...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #250
badapple

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS AT
Quote:
Yeah, please don't.. most of those cars use a sequential manual transmission or a dual clutch semi-automatic... If your transmission comes with a torque converter, it is not related to the two transmissions...
No confusion. Bottom line is that in five years you'll be hard pressed to find a car maker that offers a manual. Once Porsche adopts their direct injection engines in the entire 911 line, even they will drop the manuals. Only a matter of time. IMO.
badapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #251
thePill
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by badapple View Post
No confusion. Bottom line is that in five years you'll be hard pressed to find a car maker that offers a manual. Once Porsche adopts their direct injection engines in the entire 911 line, even they will drop the manuals. Only a matter of time. IMO.
I think your overestimating the world wide adaptation of the automatic. In 5 years, manuals will probably be illegal in the US because that's where a majority of stupid automotive standards come from. However, because automatics are more expensive and thought of as an unnecessary cost, the rest of the world will continue to use manuals... It is believed in Europe that we American's cannot drive very good... This is one of the reasons why..

Porsche is a product of Europe, it will always have a manual transmission. It may use an SMG but will never be only offered as just an auto...

Last edited by thePill; 02-25-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #252
thePill
Account Suspended

Most of the exotic sports cars including F1 and other road racing circuits use a SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox), it is NOT an automatic. It is a paddle shift with an electric clutch and has no automatic feature.

A Dual Clutch Semi-Automatic replaces the torque converter with a double clutch assembly and is also paddle shifted. Some Porsche's use this but the same Porsche manual was shown to be faster.

Then you have a regular automatic that has a paddle shift (CTS-V) which everyone thinks it is the exact same thing as what I listed above....

Automatic's are garbage on a road course, they have always been and they will always be....