Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Drives: RUBY!! 2010 2SS/RS RJT Camaro
Catback Exhaust ?

I am a complete newbie to this site & car engines, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the Catback Exhaust would do for the V6 Engine?

Does it just enhance performance, give the exhaust a better sound, what?

Does anyone know what they cost? Is it worth the money spent?

My, I have a lot of questions...

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
SRVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
changes the sound, more Horsepower because of better flow, even gas mileage might increase.
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
changes the sound, more Horsepower because of better flow, even gas mileage might increase.
THANKS!!!

Is it a "Good Sound" that it changes it to? Or does it still sound like a quiet V6? I'm hoping for a bit of a deeper tone.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
LyssaRaen

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
'Good sound' depends on what system you buy. I have a flowmaster cat-back on my '97 V6 and I am really happy with the tone. You can go to most manufacturer websites and listen to sound clips of the various exhaust systems.
LyssaRaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyssaRaen View Post
'Good sound' depends on what system you buy. I have a flowmaster cat-back on my '97 V6 and I am really happy with the tone. You can go to most manufacturer websites and listen to sound clips of the various exhaust systems.
I should have made myself clear.... sorry that I didn't. I am asking about the Catback Exhaust system that GM offers for the Camaro. Need to finance it all together, ya know? I'm guessing not many have gotten the GM Catback or I'd have found chatter about it.

THANKS anyway!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVFAN View Post
I should have made myself clear.... sorry that I didn't. I am asking about the Catback Exhaust system that GM offers for the Camaro. Need to finance it all together, ya know? I'm guessing not many have gotten the GM Catback or I'd have found chatter about it.

THANKS anyway!
GM catback will not be available until fall at the earliest, maybe even as late as 2010. I am not sure if dealers are taking orders for it yet or not.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
GM catback will not be available until fall at the earliest, maybe even as late as 2010. I am not sure if dealers are taking orders for it yet or not.
Thanks!! My car won't be here until then...so I guess I'll wait & see then if it's something I want to add.
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production): 7/30/09 - TPW 8/17/09
3300 (scheduled for prod) 8/5/09 THANKS Viz!!
3400 (broadcast): 8/15/09
3800 (produced):8/22/09 - #39,334
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped): 8/24/09
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
5000 (at dealer):09/03/09
6000 (delivered to customer): 9/3/09
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
mutant chicken
Mutant Member

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '10 Mini , 07 Harley
I don't have any experience with buying performance part for my cars through a dealer, they have all been aftermarket. But, here is what I have found to be true with the Harley Davidson parts... they offer "performance" exhaust and intake parts through their catalogs, the exhaust is hardly different from the stock piece that comes on your bike except in looks, it only gives a very slight boost in performance and almost no change in sound. I don't waste my money on them. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of those " Loud pipes save lives" guys, that is a bunch of crap, that just annoys people around you... but I do like a good exhaust note and better performace. So I find what works for me, it's not a factory piece ( waste of cash ). The same has been true of their "performance" aircleaner, it's just a hiflow paper filter, I just go with K&N.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is true of the Chevy parts ! They may well be much better and do exactly what you want, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the HP gains for their pieces where minimal, so we didn't even bother looking at them, we are already searching for aftermarker exhaust and intake for our car that got here this week.

Keep searching, this fourum is a great source of information, use it well. There are links to all kinds of manufactures and video clips of parts that are already in use so you know what they are like.

Good luck.

mutant chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
SRVFAN
Too Much FUN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant chicken View Post
I don't have any experience with buying performance part for my cars through a dealer, they have all been aftermarket. But, here is what I have found to be true with the Harley Davidson parts... they offer "performance" exhaust and intake parts through their catalogs, the exhaust is hardly different from the stock piece that comes on your bike except in looks, it only gives a very slight boost in performance and almost no change in sound. I don't waste my money on them. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT one of those " Loud pipes save lives" guys, that is a bunch of crap, that just annoys people around you... but I do like a good exhaust note and better performace. So I find what works for me, it's not a factory piece ( waste of cash ). The same has been true of their "performance" aircleaner, it's just a hiflow paper filter, I just go with K&N.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is true of the Chevy parts ! They may well be much better and do exactly what you want, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the HP gains for their pieces where minimal, so we didn't even bother looking at them, we are already searching for aftermarker exhaust and intake for our car that got here this week.

Keep searching, this fourum is a great source of information, use it well. There are links to all kinds of manufactures and video clips of parts that are already in use so you know what they are like.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input. I don't care at all about the increased performance... 304 HP is plenty enough for me... I just want it to sound good, not loud, but good. Not like a ricer, tho. I've been reading other threads and apparenlty there just isn't much to be done for the V6 engine in that respect. I guess I'd need to get the SS for that sound I want...I won't be able to achieve it with the V6. With the milage I put on a car, it isn't really a good idea for me to get the SS. I'd just be wasting money on gas.
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production): 7/30/09 - TPW 8/17/09
3300 (scheduled for prod) 8/5/09 THANKS Viz!!
3400 (broadcast): 8/15/09
3800 (produced):8/22/09 - #39,334
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped): 8/24/09
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
5000 (at dealer):09/03/09
6000 (delivered to customer): 9/3/09
Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVFAN View Post
Thanks for the input. I don't care at all about the increased performance... 304 HP is plenty enough for me... I just want it to sound good, not loud, but good. Not like a ricer, tho. I've been reading other threads and apparenlty there just isn't much to be done for the V6 engine in that respect. I guess I'd need to get the SS for that sound I want...I won't be able to achieve it with the V6. With the milage I put on a car, it isn't really a good idea for me to get the SS. I'd just be wasting money on gas.
You're right, there isn't much... yet.

But there will be.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote