Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The bottom end is weak.
If I remember correctly the crank is forget...the rods and pistons may be weak...but they will take a bearing I assure you.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
If I remember correctly the crank is forget...the rods and pistons may be weak...but they will take a bearing I assure you.
Do you mean:

"If I remember correctly the crank is forged...the rods and pistons may be weak...but they will take a beating I assure you."

My comment comes after discussing the engine with those who are responsible for testing it.
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Do you mean:

"If I remember correctly the crank is forged...the rods and pistons may be weak...but they will take a beating I assure you."

My comment comes after discussing the engine with those who are responsible for testing it.
Sorry lol using an iPhone and I have big fingers

Mods:
Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Article describing the 3.6L:

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...n-chamber.html

and based on my sources... yep, this is one stout little motor!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #19
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Thanks for posting this. Still planning on supercharging mine when LPE gets done. Hopefully soon, but who knows.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Article describing the 3.6L:

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...n-chamber.html

and based on my sources... yep, this is one stout little motor!
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
Thanks for posting this. Still planning on supercharging mine when LPE gets done. Hopefully soon, but who knows.....
I wouldn't hold your breath on the LPE package. They seemed to have disappeared from the forum.
nachocheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
I'm holding out for a quality SC setup, and gonna hold out a little bit to see which kits (when available) are the most efficient. I'd prefer a roots-type, but would be happy with a centri too. Turbos make crazy power, but turbo lag just always irked me. Even if it's only the minor lag that a good pair of twins would have.
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 AM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfkotaro View Post
I'm holding out for a quality SC setup, and gonna hold out a little bit to see which kits (when available) are the most efficient. I'd prefer a roots-type, but would be happy with a centri too. Turbos make crazy power, but turbo lag just always irked me. Even if it's only the minor lag that a good pair of twins would have.
Opposite here... I'm holding out for a turbo! Had the centri on the last car... was cool.... but after driving a number of turbo cars... well... I won't be doing the centri again... I think we'll see a turbo well before we see any kind of roots-type blower... especially if you want an IC...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #23
CamaroBAMF28

Drives: Black 2LT RS
Quote:
Opposite here... I'm holding out for a turbo! Had the centri on the last car... was cool.... but after driving a number of turbo cars... well... I won't be doing the centri again... I think we'll see a turbo well before we see any kind of roots-type blower... especially if you want an IC...

so scrming what's your opinion on the LF3 in the camaro? do you think it will be worth to trade in my camaro for that??? i mean i know i will be loosing some money but that twin turbo to me is a big deal lol.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #24
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBAMF28 View Post
so scrming what's your opinion on the LF3 in the camaro? do you think it will be worth to trade in my camaro for that??? i mean i know i will be loosing some money but that twin turbo to me is a big deal lol.
I haven't read through the LF3 thread... yet...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
mike25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBAMF28 View Post
It's not made it to the camaro yet. However..if it's anything like gm's previous turbos..it will be more than worth it

Mods:
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #26
D Vegas

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS VR,1978 VW BUG CV
Some Info on the alloy used to cast the block http://www.sfsa.org/tutorials/eng_block/GMBlock_11b.htm

it is definitely possible to run a FI setup on this motor and have it be stable and reliable.
D Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #27
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Quote:

I can definately understand where you're coming from, but I've had turbos and SC's in the past myself, and SC's just suit me better. I'm willing to wait for what I want =)

Also, I've got a manual tranny, not an auto, and turbos just always seem to go so much better with autos than manuals (shifting and loss of spool\boost). Not to say a turbo wouldn't still be badass...power #'s would definately be higher on a turbo than sc.

That, and I love whine of a SC over the whistle of a TC

All that said, to the OP, I wouldn't wait on GM releasing their own twin-turbo. The loss you'll take on trade-in is likely to exceed the cost to do it all yourself, especially when you're going to almost definately want to replace those turbos with better aftermarket ones, get a bigger IC, intakes, exhausts, etc., when the wait and the overall final cost would be less if you just hold out for a quality tuned TT setup to be released for the LLT. My experience with factory-turbo'd GM vehicles is that you'll want more than you can get with the stock equipment. So why not build it how you want it yourself? (or at least get someone to do it the way you want it) I'd be surprised to see GM offer the TT setup for the Camaro before 2012/13, and more surprised if a better setup isn't readily available and tuned for the LLT before 2011/12 for a similar fee.

Then again, I could be wrong. In the end it's all about what you want and what you feel best suits you (and your wallet.)

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 PM   #28
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The "hold-up" to a genuine forced induction system for the LLT is simply the BoschBox. It hasn't been successfully "cracked', at least by the "aftermarket"...

We're still waiting for Leno's "promised" test drive he spoke of at SEMA...no youtube, no Leno's Garage, no nothing so far...which leads one to believe everyone is still wrestling with the BoschBox. The LF3 offers hope, but it alone will not be the direct answer for the LLT...

Without proper electronics, no matter how stout the basic LLT is, boost on top of 11.3:1 comp. is a recipe for disaster...

As to the likelihood of GM not going 10/10ths, that only makes sense. "Safety margin". "Warranty potential"...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-26-2010 at 01:35 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote