Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
NoynuR

Drives: 2008 M3 ESS Supercharged 650Hp
Car and Driver 1LE review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Note to Chevrolet: There are some things about the ’80s that aren’t worthy of nostalgia. The era’s pony cars, by and large, fall under this umbrella. It’s true that Ford has the five-point-oh—a designation fairly soaked in Aqua Net, yet perhaps the only thing about the decade’s Stangs worth revisiting—but when it named its latest track-oriented model, it resurrected “Boss.” First appearing in 1969, Boss is cool. It’s a little intimidating, and it’s also Bruce Springsteen’s nickname. It sounds bad-ass. Chevrolet’s 1LE? For the 17 people who were paying attention in 1988, it conjures memories of an option bundle that only made that year’s Camaro less bad. To the rest of us, it sounds like three randomly selected characters.

Although it still seems as though the designation had been plucked from an alphanumeric bingo bucket, 1LE has new significance for 2013 as an option package for manual-transmission Camaro SS models. It brings a host of upgrades ported from or inspired by the mighty ZL1. The pieces that make the most difference fall into the latter category, however, including the front anti-roll-bar mounting setup, 10-by-20-inch front wheels and 11-by-20-inch rears, and beefier half-shafts. The equipment pilfered directly from the ZL1 includes wheel bearings, toe links, rear shock mounts, the fuel pump, the flat-bottom steering wheel, the short-throw six-speed manual and its transmission cooler, and 285/35-20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 tires all around (the ZL1 gets 305/35-20 rubber at the rear). The beefy wheel-and-tire combo actually saves a total of 22 pounds of unsprung weight.

The 1LE package also comes with a shorter final-drive ratio of 3.91:1 versus the 3.45:1 rear end in the SS and adds monotube rear dampers—instead of the SS’s twin tubes—and a strut-tower brace. As for externals, Chevy engineers tell us that even though the 1LE’s splitter increases downforce in the front, the wider wheels generate enough lift to bring the 1LE right back in line with the SS. Out back, the SS’s lip spoiler carries over to 1LE cars.

Character Study

The 1LE exceeds its status as an option package in that it truly changes the character of the SS—and we’re not talking about the matte-black hood. (It’s a wrap, and it looks unfinished.) The difference becomes apparent when you throw the Camaro 1LE into a corner. Where the SS understeers, the 1LE darts toward apexes. The Camaro still feels like a behemoth—that problem is deeply rooted in its squinty greenhouse and a curb weight we estimate at 3900 pounds—but the newfound eagerness scrubs away its greatest dynamic flaw. The electronic power-steering system (standard on all SS models and shared with the ZL1) is a fine representative of the breed, with a progressive weighting and natural feel. The 1LE doesn’t represent as comprehensive a revision as does its direct competitor, the Boss 302, but neither is it quite as expensive.

For 2013, both the SS and 1LE equipped with manual transmissions offer a dual-mode exhaust system like that on the ZL1, where baffles open under increased load. The car we drove had it, and we wouldn’t recommend any Camaro owner try to live without it. For such a dramatically shaped vehicle, the SS sounds kind of wimpy. This exhaust gives the car more of the tympanic-membrane-shredding roar that makes the Corvette such an aural treat.

The 1LE’s sub-$40,000 starting point represents a premium of about 10 percent over the SS’s base sticker. For buyers whose Camaros will ever see track duty—or a 10Best-winning Boss 302 on a twisty road—it’s an investment in your own happiness. The 1LE name might not hark to the muscle-car heyday, but the car on which it’s affixed is good enough to make us remember an ’80s footnote a little more fondly.
NoynuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Sorry, don't really get what the writer was trying to convey. Did he like it or not, was it a competitor for the Boss or Boss LS? I wish they would just use regular english.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
BiG_TiMe

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
eh too much to read i'll wait for a video
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I can tell you from the first paragraph he hates the name. And for the most part I have to agree, I mean wtf is a 1LE? I'm sure it stands for something but it's not exactly the name of a special edition camaro that jumps out at you.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Review said pretty much nothing except that it handles better than the SS, which we already knew would be the case.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
So the car handles better with the new suspension and it sounds better with the new dual mode exhaust. It took someone writing and article to tell us what we already knew. Why not some numbers on what it can do around a track?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
I can tell you from the first paragraph he hates the name. And for the most part I have to agree, I mean wtf is a 1LE? I'm sure it stands for something but it's not exactly the name of a special edition camaro that jumps out at you.
I'm pretty sure 1LE is just the order code, like Z28 or Z51. I don't think it stands for anything.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
DanSS24

1LE= 1 Louder Exhaust.... kidding of course

Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #9
DanSS24

I really don't care what they call it. I just know Chevy now has got 3 bass ass cars...SS, 1LE and ZL1. Now add another one and make a 4th...add the Z28.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I believe the Players Cars were 1LE but it was not per se an RPO. It started in 88.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #11
Pay2Play

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
I really don't care what they call it. I just know Chevy now has got 3 bass ass cars...SS, 1LE and ZL1. Now add another one and make a 4th...add the Z28.
They have a 4th: COPO
2010 RJT 2SS/RS LS3: LG Motorsports Longtube Headers w/ Off-Road Pipes, RX VMax Throttle Body, CAI Cold Air Intake, Borla S-Type Catback, Pfdat Stage 2 Suspension Package, ZL1 Grille, RJT Engine Cover, Black Bowties & All Lights Tinted. Tuned by JRE
Pay2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
if one were to study the history of the Camaro - one would know the significance of the "1LE" moniker.

Yes-- we could have called it something else -- on the other hand, Camaro is a hallowed brand and it's appropriate to celebrate monikers from the past.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
DanSS24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Play View Post
They have a 4th: COPO
You're right. ooops. Make it complete with the Z28 and we can call them the Camaro Fab Five.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Ratchet

Drives: SWB Berlinetta
Try as I might, I can't get past the hood wrap and the black wheels.
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote