Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #43
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo View Post
I did not mask off a thin line across the top for the ABL to shine through.
Oh for me that would stink, but I don't know what I wanna do with my door panels, just think a solid color is too plain gotta come up with an idea of some sort
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #44
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Quote:
Almost done!

All I have left is the driver side door panel.

I used the Krud-Kutter Graffiti remover instead of nail polish remover. I used the steel wool and wet sanded a little with 2000 grit sandpaper before polishing.

(https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151045329071243.427721.606361242&type=1#!/media/set/?set=a.10151045329071243.427721.606361242&type=1)
Glad someone took my advice, I knew that stuff would work. I want to check out it out at the next gathering.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #45
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pretty cool, look forward to seeing some more custom work on these. Never understood why people felt it couldn't be done.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #46
Indyblue98
2012 RS 2ss

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2012 2SS WhippleCharged
What is the process for removing ... want to get just the piece on the drivers side dash by the piller. what are they held on by ?
Thanks
Indyblue98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #47
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyblue98 View Post
What is the process for removing ... want to get just the piece on the drivers side dash by the piller. what are they held on by ?
Thanks
The dash trim on both sides are held in by clips, the driver side is only 2 clips

How I got mine out was I pulled the panel off like I was going to the fuse panel inside the car, if you look behind the dash trim you will see the silver clip what I did was squeezed the clip and pushed it forward and the 2nd clip came out with it fairly easy

I did the same thing on the other side with the 1st clip then used a flathead screw driver wrapped in a paper towel to pry the rest of the clips out

Hope that helps
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #48
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
The dash trim on both sides are held in by clips, the driver side is only 2 clips

How I got mine out was I pulled the panel off like I was going to the fuse panel inside the car, if you look behind the dash trim you will see the silver clip what I did was squeezed the clip and pushed it forward and the 2nd clip came out with it fairly easy

I did the same thing on the other side with the 1st clip then used a flathead screw driver wrapped in a paper towel to pry the rest of the clips out

Hope that helps
This is the way it's supposed to be done ^^^^^^

Once you have the outermost clips released, you can safely get the rest of them out by just pulling on the dash trim. The outermost clips are dangerous, though - read below to find out way.

Don't pull on the outer ends of the dash strips to release them. It'll work, but doing it that way risks having the outermost clip scrape against the top of the dash. I learned this the hard way and the area above passenger side A/C vent looks like it was hacked up with a steak knife. I'll have to replace my dash eventually because it bothers the sh*t out of me, lol.

Just as an extra precaution, I'd wedge a towel or something right above the A/C vents and under the trim piece so that way it can cushion the space between the clip and the dash.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #49
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I'll have to replace my dash eventually because it bothers the sh*t out of me, lol.
Damn your OCD is as bad if not worse then mine

I almost had the same thing happen to me when I took out my driver side piece, I don't know how but when I popped the 1st clip the 2nd came flying out with it, it actually hit me in the chest and then I felt like I was playing hot potato with the piece to not let it hit anything or fall on the ground
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I'm Thinking about doing this, but I want to paint my panels IBM but I'm worried I'm not gonna like the color. Does anyone know if they sell the stock grey color that comes on the panels? That way if I don't like IBM I can change it back
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #51
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
I'm Thinking about doing this, but I want to paint my panels IBM but I'm worried I'm not gonna like the color. Does anyone know if they sell the stock grey color that comes on the panels? That way if I don't like IBM I can change it back
I can't see why they wouldn't but give gmpatrshouse a call I'm sure they can answer your question, or your local dealer
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #52
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Does anyone know the parts numbers for the clear dask inserts? I know they come painted but I want the clear ones so I can paint mine from the back.
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #53
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
Does anyone know the parts numbers for the clear dask inserts? I know they come painted but I want the clear ones so I can paint mine from the back.
Impossible to obtain or else somebody would have already done it. If you want the original trim pieces without paint, you would somehow have to bypass GM and contact the original manufacturer of the parts in Canada and request being sent a set fresh out of the mold.

As far as I know, something like that can't be done unless you actually knew someone who works there. You could try contacting GM and see if they could help, but I doubt you'd get anywhere.

For the door pieces, I know RPI designs sells their own versions that start out clear, and they'd be willing to sell them to you without paint as well, but since they're knockoff versions, they've had fitment issues as far as I've heard.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 09-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #54
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
If your looking for yellow trim the sell it that way, but I'm not sure if GM paints those from the back like they do the grey trim, I know you rather save money but you save hassle that way, call your dealer or gmpatrshouse sure they can at least give you a 100% answer on what you can get and what's available

Worth a shot, what's the worst they can say? No?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #55
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
I lost my 'ABL' but you can keep it if you want.
Looks great... What kind of yellow did you use to paint your panels?
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #56
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
I always shyed away from painting interior panels for fear of them getting scratched later on and looking like crap. This method seems to alleviate that concern. Granted you use the right stuff for removing the original paint.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote