Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
1LE specific tire, traction control question...

I've only test driven a 1LE and I am aiming to get one. The 1LE package is the main reason I want a Camaro now. It was fun to drive slowly, so I'm sure it will be fun to drive spiritedly.

So considering the 1LE specific tires, how does the traction control react to very quick standing street starts using moderate wheelspin in normal AND competitve modes? Obviously, my question does not invovle street racing, just quick street starts for fun. Does anyone drive all the time in competitive mode and does the car revert to normal mode after shutdown?

Thanks... and I've seen a silver 1LE running around Cary, NC recently... anyone here? If so PM me, I'd like to take a closer look without chasing you down next time... lol.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
On the street I have not been able to tell much difference from a standing start. Also, for general street driving (even on winding roads) you really are not going to tell much difference in normal vs. comp modes. When you really push the car the normal mode nannies kick in much sooner than during comp mode.

Yes, each time the car is shut off, it will return to normal mode. You have to select comp mode each time.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Bauer2

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE and 2009 R1
Even in normal mode it lets you have a little fun before telling you to knock it off.

Sent from the fast lane!
Bauer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
It was noted by another user( I don't remember who) that the steering feel changes with the modes now. With the addition of EPS they can change the weight if the steering on the fly and it's linked to the TC modes.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
KlugSS

If you are worried about it turn it all off, or at least as close as you can on a new gm.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
KlugSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
It was noted by another user( I don't remember who) that the steering feel changes with the modes now. With the addition of EPS they can change the weight if the steering on the fly and it's linked to the TC modes.
This is true... Put 500 miles on it already and never noticed until i went out and tried it.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlugSS View Post
If you are worried about it turn it all off, or at least as close as you can on a new gm.
Hold the TC button for 7 seconds and it all turns off. ST and TC. Be warned, many a car have been crashed unnecessarily by doing so. It is an ongoing argument here as to wether you should on public streets. My personal opinion is do whatever you want but it really isn't necessary in daily driving situations. Competitive mode gives you plenty of wiggle room with the computer back up to help correct the unexpected. Even the pros get in over there head from time to time.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
The 1LE has ZL1 specific tires. 4 front ones to be exact.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
I'd leave it all on, if you are driving that hard to make them kick in, you probably want them on at that point. The downside to turning them off is much greater than leaving them on for 99.9% of people myself included ( I leave them on at the track)
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
This doesn't answer exactly what you're asking but I thought it related enough to share the summary chart I created for all the available driving mode.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...hmentid=464436

I keep mine in Normal driving mode all the time and did so at the track too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Normal mode gives you plenty of room to hang yourself.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock69RS View Post
I'd leave it all on, if you are driving that hard to make them kick in, you probably want them on at that point. The downside to turning them off is much greater than leaving them on for 99.9% of people myself included ( I leave them on at the track)
Don't want to crash that bad boy tracking it now do you.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
natmad

Drives: WTB '16 1SS Magride NPP Recaros 6m
"CRT", Thanks for the electronic nanny chart, very nice. Interesting that the steering weight can't be tightened up without a change in traction control.

Right after starting the car, I will put the car in competitive mode to have a more playful driving experience when speed, road, and traffic conditions allow. Safety comes first, fun comes second.

I'm glad the car will revert to normal mode at startup in case anyone else in the family has to drive my car, over my dead... er, as a last resort.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
newb

I stay in normal mode 99.9% of the time. The only time TC is intrusive is the occasional take off to get out in traffic. The car kind of falls on its face when TC thinks the wheel spin is too much. It may be the ST as I am also turning. (Usually too busy to see which light is flashing... Lol)

Delivered 21 Jan 2013