Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
kjnylin

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black/Black Auto
Fair warning about Technostalgia Rapid Fire Led Lights

It's been over a year since I first installed the Technostalgia Rapid Fire Led Lights. When I saw them in action, I just had to have them. There is nothing on the market that comes close the cool factor that these have. I was deemed, "Flashy Ass" by some in the Camaro club. Here is a video of them in action.

My problems began about 6 months after installation. I drive my Camaro everyday, in the Pacific Northwest. I wash it often. Needless to say, it gets wet. Three of the four lights fogged up on a regular basis. Also, one LED was out and there appeared to be random flashing. Here is the video.

After contacting Technostalgia, A technician named Todd responded quickly and asked that I return them for repair. (The warranty states repair only. Not replacement). He said they would, "vacuum test each light and determine where the leaks are and make appropriate repairs." I returned them and they came back the next week with silicone spread on the wiring pigtails. Two of the four proceeded to fog again. Again, I sent them in (Shipping at $20 a pop, which they did not cover), this time asking that they replace them. Without contacting me they returned them back "repaired". More silicone. Still fogging I tried contacting them with no response.

Fogged up tail lights are unacceptable to me, and certainty with the water propagation, the electronic circuitry is sure to fail eventually. I decided I was done with these lights.

Here is where there is some good in the world.

I contacted Phastek Performance who I purchased the lights through. (http://www.phastekperformance.com) They were very nice (I talked to Ricardo) and he offered to contact Technostalgia about a refund. Technostalgia did not return their calls. Phastek offered an in store credit! That's $399!

I asked Phastek if there were similar problems and they said yes. In fact so many problems with Technostalgia quality and lack of support, that they no longer carry Technostalgia items.

So props to Phastek! They are a first class part supplier that backs up what it sells, even if the manufacturer does not.

But stay away from the Technostalgia Rapid Fire Led Lights unless you have a very dry car!
Attached Images

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
UPDATE! Purchased a 2013 ZL1 on 3/14/2015.
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
GearLube

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Inferno Orange Convertib
After reading this I will be checking the out and their products. I am always willing to pay a little extra for good service.
GearLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
I had two of mine fog also but a year apart. I personally opened them up, dried them out and resealed with silicon. Have not had a problem since. No LED light outage though.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Never used them, but sounds like a great vendor.

Enough people read this, and it will be the best $399 they ever spent on advertising.

I will definitely check them out in the future.

Jim

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Sucks that these things seem to have so many problems, because they sure are cool. Hopefully somebody who can support them will come up with something similar.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Its such a shame that the technostalgia lights have so many problems, they are awesome looking for sure, but you could give them to me for free and I would turn them down. Its not a chance im willing to take at any price, Phastek is definitely an awesome company
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
I bought a set from a member and two of them fog up from time to time as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Its such a shame that the technostalgia lights have so many problems, they are awesome looking for sure, but you could give them to me for free and I would turn them down. Its not a chance im willing to take at any price, Phastek is definitely an awesome company
I did have to send them back to Phastek to get the credit. Fair is fair.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Great looking lights that i had on my car for more than a year with no issues,lucky me

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post
Great looking lights that i had on my car for more than a year with no issues,lucky me

Ahmad
My guess is you don't have as much rain as I do here in Washington State.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
LIyellowSS

Drives: 2012 SS, had 1995 Z28
I also had the rapid fire lights installed for a year and I didn't have a problem...until 2 months ago! One of the lights fogged up and another didn't work properly, it was never in synch and would display an unpatterned light when I turned the car off and the light would never turn off. I too returned them at my expense to be fixed, the fogging, craziness of the light and to fix some LEDs that had gone out but I tolerated. Well I get the lights back after 15 days, install them and I kid you not, the crazy patterned light worked correctly for 5 MINUTES before it went back to its crazy pattern. It's now unplugged awaiting a replacement, whenever that comes.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
alssiri

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnylin View Post
My guess is you don't have as much rain as I do here in Washington State.
The car actually see water only when she gets a bath

Ahmad
2012 ZL1 A6 (SOLD)
Forged 376 CI, LSA HeartBeat, Mast Medium Bore Heads & JDP ZLR Cam, ARH LT , MagnaFlow Resonated X + Borla Atak Catback, ADM 102mm Snout, CAI, NW102MM TB, ID850, Fore Triple Fuel Pump, MSD Wire's, Moroso CC.
Alky Control, FIICHILLER.
alssiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIyellowSS View Post
I also had the rapid fire lights installed for a year and I didn't have a problem...until 2 months ago! One of the lights fogged up and another didn't work properly, it was never in synch and would display an unpatterned light when I turned the car off and the light would never turn off. I too returned them at my expense to be fixed, the fogging, craziness of the light and to fix some LEDs that had gone out but I tolerated. Well I get the lights back after 15 days, install them and I kid you not, the crazy patterned light worked correctly for 5 MINUTES before it went back to its crazy pattern. It's now unplugged awaiting a replacement, whenever that comes.
If they agreed to replace it, you are having better luck than I did. Hope they come through. Keep me posted.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alssiri View Post
The car actually see water only when she gets a bath

Ahmad
They told me to not use cold water on a hot car. That may cause leakage too. Good luck with that!