Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Camaro45Steven

Drives: 45th Anniversary
Leak on passenger side... 2012 2lt RS

This is the second time i noticed that my carpet had been soakedon the passenger side and i was wondering if anyone knew the cause.
Attached Images

Camaro45Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
not sure if its the same thing, but my wife had that happen to one of her cars once, and i think it had to do with a a/c drain hose that was pinched, causing water to back up and somehow end up inside on the passenger side carpet
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
GuitarJozz

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2LS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarJozz
Yikes! I hope you find out what the cause is, and that it's nothing major. Do you have a sunroof? Maybe there's a leak in it?
GuitarJozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Camaro45Steven

No sunroof, il probably be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, thanks for your replies btw.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
if its water then your a/c drain is plugged, coolent and your heater core is leaking.The plugged drain isnt anything serious just need to get it cleared out
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45Steven View Post
This is the second time i noticed that my carpet had been soakedon the passenger side and i was wondering if anyone knew the cause.
Camaro45Steven,

Sincere apologies to hear about this leak you're experiencing. I know that must be displeasing for you. Have you considered taking the vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis? I'd gladly schedule an appointment on your behalf. Feel free to message me regarding your concerns!

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Camaro45Steven

Ya il be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Ya il be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!!
Apologies,

I mistakenly overlooked the post where you stated the vehicle was going to the dealership. That's great to know! Let me know how the appointment goes and/or if you may need additional assistance!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Just found water behind my passenger seat. I just passed 36k miles looks like I am out of luck. OP... Please let us know what the outcome is.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Nakam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What do the gaskets at the bottom of the door look like after it rains? I had a similar issue where water was collecting on the gasket by the speaker and leaking under the molding onto the carpet. It ended up being the water deflector inside the door. Apparently it can get warped or it could come apart from the seal. They put a new one on and there have been no issues since it was fixed 3 months ago.
Nakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Just found water behind my passenger seat. I just passed 36k miles looks like I am out of luck. OP... Please let us know what the outcome is.
Mach,

Also sorry to hear about that. If you'd like, I can research any recalls on your vehicle that may address this concern. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll explore these matters further for you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Camaro45Steven

I got my car back today... The dealership couldnt find the problem, or get it to leak again, but when i went back out to the car about an hour after i got home there was already a small puddle...
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I got my car back today... The dealership couldnt find the problem, or get it to leak again, but when i went back out to the car about an hour after i got home there was already a small puddle...
Wow,

Let me see what I can do for you. Send me a private message and please include the following information:

-First/last name
-Address
-Phone number
-VIN and mileage
-Dealer name / service advisor

Thanks,

I look forward for your contact.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
if its water then your a/c drain is plugged, coolent and your heater core is leaking.The plugged drain isnt anything serious just need to get it cleared out
THIS!

I've had both of these happen to my 2010. The first summer, after I ran the A/C for a long time, a large wet spot formed on my passenger side floor. There is a TSB, and if I can find it, I'll post it, but basically what happens is that a rubber grommet that is part of the A/C condensate line (the water that condenses on the chiller coil as it's running - like water forms on a cold glass on a hot day), is "collapsed" during the assembly of the vehicle, and it causes a blockage in the drain line. The water backs up into the fan casing, which is just inside the dash on the passenger's side and it then leaks onto the floor. The dealership was able to pop the grommet back open and all was good. Again, there was a TSB on this for the 2010's. I figured GM would have figured it out by now and fixed the issue somehow.

Last summer, I found another wet spot on the passenger side, but this time it smelled sweet and was orange...it was coolant! The heater core, which is also on the passenger's side, formed a leak. This really sucked because the dealership (glad it was still under warranty) had to take the ENTIRE dash apart. The car was in there for several days while they replaced the heater core.

Funny thing after that repair...during a long trip with the A/C on, I started hearing the sound of "running" water from in the dash on the passenger's side. It wasn't water, but it was "sloshing" in the fan casing. I also found a wet patch on the passenger side floor. Basically what happened, when they put the car back together after the heater core repair, they crushed the grommet again, which caused the caused the condensate to back up back into the fan and leak into the car...so the dealer fixed this again as well.

Now, assuming GM figured out how to prevent the grommet from being crushed during assembly after the 2010's, you may have a blockage for some other reason...spider web, mud...anything like that. Even that kind of blockage can be taken care of easily. I wish I knew exactly where that drain line dumps out under the car - you could put a shop-vac to it to suck anything in there out.

Let me see if I can find that TSB and my old posts. But it is likely a plugged A/C condensate drain line, assuming what you have is water and not coolant. Probably not too big of a deal.