Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #169

Drives: Getaway Special
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
In order to sell as many cars as possible, manufacturers avoid purpose built auto's. They serve the needs of a few, not many. Ala carte cars dissapeared decades ago. Accessories and packages are now bundled together into only a few choices/trim levels. Chevy has broke new ground, actually that's a misnomer. They are revisiting history, and bringing a stripper back. Purpose built, like the true COPO car, or factory racers.. as in the glory days. It's kind of cool to think about. It's a modern one off in my mind...like the ZL1,....oh yes you did!!! Chevy did it again...awesome Chevy!
Well stated. Many not experienced in that saga of history don't understand. They have built a model now for just about ANY niche. ANY. A nice way to end the Gen 5 Icon. 2012-2014 will be looked at almost like 1968-1970. Now if 2015 and Gen 6 brings more to the table, it's icing on the cake. Drag strip and Track Ready cars were rare "back when"... Suspensions back then were primitive compared to what we have today. The Z/28 and ZL1 names certainly live up to the historical expectations. Thank you Chevy. Thank you.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #170

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
The Hummer, although a Monster Jam sized vehicle, was an expensive toy, and impractical for street use, was bought by some of those who could for the look at me factor I would agree with. But, it did have the comfort ammenties as well I believe. The Z/28 I predict may be a purchased by a few with the expendable income to show off, but it's gonna be very harsh to drive on cruize nights, to car shows, or little circuit tours around the bling bling rides. This won't be like the ZL1...at all. Daily driver does not fit in the Z/28 lexicon.
Most Hummers were bought with jacked up house appraisals and second mortgages or refi's .... the Hummers disappeared along with the demise of the housing scam. I don't predict how few or many have "expendable income", but there are opportunities that remain for those with vision and drive who may reward themselves with a Z/28. Street practicality to me, on this new car, is based solely on how low it is to the ground more than anything else. Creature comforts.... unnecessary for Friday night cruises or track days. But those unexpected little road bumps and things could kill that joy without a second thought. A ZL1, of course, is more friendly on the street, but properly setup will still will hold its own against a Z/28 or 99% of anything else on a Friday night!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #171
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
IMHO there seems to be more weight loss that can be done to the Z/28 but i would imagine that they (GM) thought any more than what they have presented would be a little bit too far. If you don't get why there are less features in this car, or care what your friends will think, or some random person your dating about the price and lack of features,

DON'T BUY ONE.

to eliminate those features would require new components - many of which would have to be validated one way or another -- which is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Someone said they'd rather have the 454 -- well -- you can do that! I suggest a 1LE and then put the crate engine in it!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #172
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I'd much rather have an 18" wheel option. Better and more R comp tire options, which are cheaper in 18" as well.
IF 18" is enough to clear the calipers.
Generally speaking, rotor OD + 3.5", rounded to the next bigger whole inch is as tight as you can fit any wheel that isn't intended for mounting drag-race skinnies on.

FWIW, I'd rather have the 1LE's balance than the ZL1's forced induction.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #173
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
FWIW, I'd rather have the 1LE's balance than the ZL1's forced induction.
Once again, agree with you.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #174
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh1990 View Post
I agree. I was thinking about not getting the AC, but I live in central Florida and if its going to be my daily driver that would be a mistake for me.
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #175
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.
Pshhh, yeah, I wish it was a dry heat. We had 98% humidity today. I walked from my truck to my house and back and was drenched lol
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #176
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh1990 View Post
Pshhh, yeah, I wish it was a dry heat. We had 98% humidity today. I walked from my truck to my house and back and was drenched lol
That's why I left Florida 4 years ago. I was done. Spent 22 years there.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #177
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
That's why I left Florida 4 years ago. I was done. Spent 22 years there.
I hear ya.

Only other place I've ever wanted to live is Tennessee lol. Other than the weather, Florida is my favorite state
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #178
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

I lived in Destin for 7 years. It was great, but I'd rather live near the mountains (better weather) and vacation at the beach.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #179
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Z/28 should be able to be had with no radio, no power anything, no heater, no a/c, no carpet, no sound deadening, and lexan windows

In my opinion
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #180
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Seriously is it really that hard to have an aftermarket stereo added? I hear it happens all the time.
And is it that difficult to check the box that says AC?

Besides those 2 things what else does anyone need?
That's true Chance, and the bluetooth stuff, cruise control, and OnStar amenities can be 86'd from the car as well I feel. The steering wheel on the proto Z/28 still has the stock ZL1 with those control switches. We need one cleaned up sans the switches. No time, or need, to have those things when wheeling the Z/28 around. Don't need directions, cruise control, or hands free calling pulling 1.OMG G hot laps.....
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #181
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Z/28 should be able to be had with no radio, no power anything, no heater, no a/c, no carpet, no sound deadening, and lexan windows

In my opinion
I don't think lexan windows are street legal.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #182
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Chances are that to get the weight down far enough to where no power assists was realistic, the car wouldn't have a VIN for several reasons.

Never mind that without at least some thin carpeting you wouldn't want to drive it very far unless you were wearing a helmet anyway.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote