Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
JGS

Drives: 2015 2SS LS3 NPP/1LE/ Red Hot
How do you keep yourself out of trouble ?

So my insurance went up because of the few speeding tickets that I got since I took delivery of the Camaro. I know, I know and I take responsibility and I'll face the consequences. Lesson learned ! (the hard way)
However, how do you control/hold yourself when you are behind 400+ furious HP ? .....My local legal race track got closed by the city, then, Closest race track is 250 miles away from me and its only open during summer months....highest speed limit in Canada is 68 mph !!.... I cant imagine those of you who are supercharged ! So when you see a small stretch, with clear path, no hazards around, how do you stay at the limit and hold yourself from feeling that extra taste of power? ( Don't get me wrong, I do not mean by going like crazy at triple digits or so! ....I mean..going over by just a few digits just to feel that rumble and power.). I have a radar detector, the redline, but to be honest, I think I would be better off without it. Its useless in the city now. It won't detect the new updated speed photo radar vans. And when I see one of those Vans, I even turn around and switch to the sensitivity to highest and nothing. ....anyways. Just needed some venting

P.S This is an interesting video I found about how speeding has become a Big Revenue...

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-best...ium=socialflow
Attached Images

Last edited by JGS; 02-26-2014 at 11:38 PM.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
What would I rather spend my money on: tickets or mods? Not a difficult question.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 AM   #3
SLFMDMN

Drives: 14' Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I have a heavy foot as well, I would suggest you drive in more isolated "rural" areas to hammer down your need for speed! Also, I rock a V1 radar detector that gives software updates for the latest and greatest speed traps! Just my .02
SLFMDMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Generally up on the highway I stick the cruise on and listen to the radio. Around town, just pretty careful. I watch the speed limits, but that doesn't mean I don't ride at those limits.

Example, right next to my house is a curve in the road where the speed limit is 40. In a normal car it might be uncomfortable around the curve at that speed. In a Camaro it's fun.

And fortunately we still have an 1/8th mile about twenty minutes away that's open about 9 months out of the year. Get to burn off plenty of steam there.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Breaking the law, paying the fines and endangering others lives is what keeps me from speeding...

Play with fire be prepared to get burned.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS View Post
...how do you stay at the limit and hold yourself from feeling that extra taste of power?
You won't want to hear this but, it's called "maturity". Although we often refer to them as such, you are not driving a "toy". It is a very powerful driving machine and demands respect, responsibility, and maturity when you're behind the wheel. If you lack that, you will (literally) pay the consequences in speeding fines and increased insurance premiums. That's life as an adult.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
it's easy look at all the lives lost and people injuried as a result of to much speed or street racing it's just plain stupid take it easy a jst cruise so people can better look at your car
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #8
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
400hp has nothing to do with speeding or wanting to because you can do that same thing with a 150hp car. It's the driver who decides the amount of trouble you get into not the car, blaming the power of the car is like pointing fingers and having 3 pointing back to you.

I prefer to cruise & enjoy driving the car.

1100 - 3/23/2023
2000 - 3/27/2023
3000 - 3/28/2023
3400 - 4/12/2023 — 4/24 TPW
3800 - 4/28/2023
5000 - 5/30/2023
6000 - 6/03/2023

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Black
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #9
HawkGirl
COTW 11/18/2013

Drives: 750-HP ZL1 Carbon
Radar and laser jammer = no tickets...have fun, drive fast, and wave to the slowpokes in your rear view mirror! Kick a$$ video btw
Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
While it is every citizen's individual responsibility to adhere to the law, I strongly disagree with the method of determining speed limits and the methods used to enforce them and further am disappointed that many municipalities use this revenue stream as a crutch rather than writing responsible budgets. Speed limits should be raised, and those uncomfortable with increased limits are more than welcome to drive below them with the rest of us.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
You got to love all the self righteous people on this forum that give someone shit about speeding. I don't believe for a second that none of you have never gone over the speed limit. Plus you bought somewhat hi powered vehicles. Why? Just to say you have one. This forum can be so full of trying to be politically correct at times that it's makes me laugh. There isn't a single person that drives that as never gone over the posted limit and most do it every single day no matter what vehicle they're in.

OP, you just have to be more aware. It's possible to have a little fun in these cars without affecting others and without getting tickets. I do it all the time.

Last edited by motorhead; 02-27-2014 at 06:14 AM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I find that the #1 thing that is probably keeping me from speeding tickets is my L99, and by that I mean automatic transmission backing it up. When I'm in a LS3 Camaro and slamming gears I drive MUCH more aggressively. After that option, cruise control is my best friend, just set it and forget it. In town you just have to watch out. Learn the police's hiding spots so you don't get surprised, drive responsibly, and go for a Valentine radar detector if you're going to drive more aggressively.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #13
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Lowest common denominator.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
IH8OPEC
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Drives: 2010 VR/W 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I find that the #1 thing that is probably keeping me from speeding tickets is my L99, and by that I mean automatic transmission backing it up. When I'm in a LS3 Camaro and slamming gears I drive MUCH more aggressively. After that option, cruise control is my best friend, just set it and forget it. In town you just have to watch out. Learn the police's hiding spots so you don't get surprised, drive responsibly, and go for a Valentine radar detector if you're going to drive more aggressively.
What? I think you're Nuckin Futs! Turn the nannies off and put it in manual mode!

I don't have a radar detector and have no use for one. I go over the posted speed limit all the time, but at what I perceive to be safe and prudent for the road and traffic conditions. I lost my Captain Asshole cape long ago!