Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Abygale

Drives: .
Check Engine Light :(

Yesterday, out of the blue, my check engine light came on. I called Onstar and they said it had to do with the emissions detector or something. They told me to make sure the gas cap was on properly which it was.

The owner's manual says this light will go away after driving the car a few times. I've driven in at least 30 miles and 4 times since insuring it was on properly. Anyone else have this happen yet?

Next stop is the service department I guess :(
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
kjnylin

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black/Black Auto
Under warrenty

It's under warrenty so fixing it shouldn't be a problem. It's just a hastle and waste of time. Some dealers offer free loaners. That may help.

If I have a check engine light on cars that are out of warrenty, I take them to Auto Zone where they will plug in the OBDII code reader and give you the trouble code along with the diagnosis for free. This has saved me hundreds of $$.

Good luck!

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
UPDATE! Purchased a 2013 ZL1 on 3/14/2015.
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
buddylok

Drives: -
try disconnect the battery, wait around 5-10 mins, connect the battery and start the car.
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnylin View Post
It's under warrenty so fixing it shouldn't be a problem. It's just a hastle and waste of time. Some dealers offer free loaners. That may help.

If I have a check engine light on cars that are out of warrenty, I take them to Auto Zone where they will plug in the OBDII code reader and give you the trouble code along with the diagnosis for free. This has saved me hundreds of $$.

Good luck!
Great idea! (for some future use) Never thought of that

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Abygale

Well, it's fixed but I spent 2 hours at the dealership. Apparently there was a huge update to the computer system so it took the techs a long time to get the computers updated to talk to each other. It's reset, and while I was there since they were in they installed my splash guards. Overall not too much of a waste of time. No charge at all for the engine light fix

Oh the tech HAD TO drive my car around a bit to make sure everything was okay with the car! He loved it and wants to get one himself
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
im sure he just "had to" drive it. lol.

glad you got your car back (and updated)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
yes, happened this morning, and i got the same answers as you. have an appointment for tuesday.
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Pretty much EVERYTHING is covered under factory warranty. Why would you go elsewhere to get your car checked out? Do you think the autozone or wherever, can scan these cars? NO. They use a different system. Most dealers are updating to it as we speak. Our tech II scanner won't even read the codes. We have to use an interface due to the speed of the communication between modules.
The dealer is your friend. The price of the warranty is in the price of the car. Use it. Go there with every squeak, rattle, SES light, brake, etc. If there is a problem, it will be fixed. No charge to you.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Abygale

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
Pretty much EVERYTHING is covered under factory warranty. Why would you go elsewhere to get your car checked out? Do you think the autozone or wherever, can scan these cars? NO. They use a different system. Most dealers are updating to it as we speak. Our tech II scanner won't even read the codes. We have to use an interface due to the speed of the communication between modules.
The dealer is your friend. The price of the warranty is in the price of the car. Use it. Go there with every squeak, rattle, SES light, brake, etc. If there is a problem, it will be fixed. No charge to you.
Yep, but just be prepared. If you are the first 2010 Camaro in there for service and it's your first time in there it will take a bit for them to update those computer diagnostic programs

Spike, I did notice that the other cars in there for service didn't seem to "require" a test drive to make sure the problems were fixed but mine sure did
Old 09-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
acehole

Drives: mits lancer oz
Keep that car in good running order abygale you got to meet up with us in Oct...
acehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
You can also request a " No test drive". Check your odometer when it goes in and when you pick it up. Make sure your request is very visible so nobody can't say "I didn't know?"
Also, you can request only a certified tech to work on it as well. They won't generally abuse a customers car.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Always keep in mind, a STEADY check engine light isn't too serious.

But USE Caution, if you have a blinking check engine light - the car should be towed to the nearest dealership.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Spike, I did notice that the other cars in there for service didn't seem to "require" a test drive to make sure the problems were fixed but mine sure did
its a hot car....

next time you should tell them that YOU will take them on a test drive if they need to see something.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
Abygale

Good advice guys thanks. The tech was actually pretty cool and I didn't mind him driving it. He was going pretty fast when he pulled back into the dealership though so I know he had some fun