Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
The Physics of the Camaro SS

As part of a project I thought I'd look into the physics of the Camaro and get a rough idea of the times we can expect. First and foremost let me say that these graphs represent very rough approximations. They are based off of basic statistics from the SS (manual) including the gear ratios, weight, tire size, height, width, drag coefficient, etc. The torgue numbers are rear wheel torque and are based off an LS3 Corvette's dyno. Most of these graphs should be mathematically accurate (I'm still working the kinks out on the distance vs time graph that will give us a rough idea of quarter mile times though). I'll try to provide a brief explanation of each graph, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

And if, by any chance, we have one of GM's engineers lurking about I'd love to see how close my results are to what they developed for the car.

This graph is the acceleration (in g force) in relation to the car's velocity and separated by gear. It demonstrates the best points to shift (ie the redline for each gear):

This graph is a combined version of the previous one, demonstrating the car's overall acceleration:

This chart is similar to the previous one, but takes into account drag and assumes a specific launch RPM:

And this final graph represents the SS' speed as a result of time, thus giving a rough approximation of 0-60 times (resulted in 4.82 seconds), although it includes a .2 second shift time from 1st gear to 2nd, so it could be a bit faster with the no-lift shift feature:

As I said, I'm still working on the distance vs time plot and I'll post it up once I have the problems worked out. I hope you all at least find this entertaining, but please refrain from bashing my work too harshly. I'm a political scientist and thus by no means a physicist.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I dont know what it means, but it looks cool!
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Some people have WAY to much time on there hands.....patience people! I love the car to death, but I'm willing to wait for some actual tests on the car. I also have faith that this car will excede everyones wishes. Just sit back and wait....be here before you know it!
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Some people have WAY to much time on there hands.....patience people! I love the car to death, but I'm willing to wait for some actual tests on the car. I also have faith that this car will excede everyones wishes. Just sit back and wait....be here before you know it!
Actually I'm taking a course on the Physics of Motorsports and this was an assignment. I figured I might as well pick the Camaro as any other car.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
glad to seee you finally got it all put together, i was waiting on seeing this.. good work bud
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Cool stuff!

I had done some simple math myself a while back to see what type of ET & MPH we could expect out of the SS. With a gear change to something like a 3.90, my guess is if you can get a decent 60 ft, it should run mid to high 12s @ around 110 or so right out of the box.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
People he doesnt have to much time on his hands he said it was for school. Sounds like a sweet class I would love to take a class like that.
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I don't know about the speeds your speaking of, but maybe kph ?
Attached Images

tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
This is an excellent project.

TJbusa. No this is right Its a theoretical view.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
I don't know about the speeds your speaking of, but maybe kph ?
That graph is done without taking wind resistance and wheel friction into account.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
That graph is done without taking wind resistance and wheel friction into account.
Ok, makes sense. Now if we could just get GM to work on this wind and tire friction.....
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Good job Mad...Did you get an A+ ?
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
CynAgain

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Good job Mad...Did you get an A+ ?
I hope so. Looks like you're right on the money and hopefully we will have some real numbers soon!

Here's the SRT8 and GXP comparison - too bad they didn't wait for the Camaro to do this compare cause I know who'd win

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ac_chart-2.pdf

Last edited by CynAgain; 02-04-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: can't spell
CynAgain is offline   Reply With Quote