Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #505
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Where as nobody has been posting, I hope it's not 'cause everyone's been slacking off. If so, I'm gonna have to crack the whip. lol
I'm here, just been super busy at work :(

Today was weigh in and it was disappointing -
last Wed I was 166.0 and today 165.8 -
darn hi tech digital scale. I could have claimed
a whole pound if the 10th's didn't show

I may weigh in again tomorrow. I feel like I lost
more, but it didn't show on the scale.

I'm still on course. I'm using My Fitness Pal app
to keep track of calories, fat, protein and carbs.
Some of my food days are looking routine, in that
I've had the same thing last week or a couple of
days ago. My calories stay 1200-1300. Funny
but my first thought was to cut back more calories,
but I was on my way to exercise, so why not move
more I'm not giving up, but a little
encouragement and/or advice might be helpful.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #506
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
I'm here, just been super busy at work :(

Today was weigh in and it was disappointing -
last Wed I was 166.0 and today 165.8 -
darn hi tech digital scale. I could have claimed
a whole pound if the 10th's didn't show

I may weigh in again tomorrow. I feel like I lost
more, but it didn't show on the scale.

I'm still on course. I'm using My Fitness Pal app
to keep track of calories, fat, protein and carbs.
Some of my food days are looking routine, in that
I've had the same thing last week or a couple of
days ago. My calories stay 1200-1300. Funny
but my first thought was to cut back more calories,
but I was on my way to exercise, so why not move
more I'm not giving up, but a little
encouragement and/or advice might be helpful.

I would not cut back on calories and don't be dissapointed. There are many factors that will determine fat loss and it is not going to be the same every week. Some weeks may show very little loss and some weeks may be surprising, the thing is being consistent. Being very busy at work could have a big effect on it as well. Stick to your guns and you will be fine. If after several weeks there is no change then we can adjust if needed but I think you will be ok. Moving more is a better solution than cutting cals to low if needed.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #507
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
I would not cut back on calories and don't be dissapointed. There are many factors that will determine fat loss and it is not going to be the same every week. Some weeks may show very little loss and some weeks may be surprising, the thing is being consistent. Being very busy at work could have a big effect on it as well. Stick to your guns and you will be fine. If after several weeks there is no change then we can adjust if needed but I think you will be ok. Moving more is a better solution than cutting cals to low if needed.

Thanks-some how I just knew you were going to say that
but it does make me feel better hearing it.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #508
bubsy73

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
It's good to hear you are sticking with it. Don't expect the weight to drop off overnight, it didn't get there overnight and won't come off overnight. This is something that discourages a lot of people especially when you see these ads where you can drop inches and pounds in a couple of weeks, you can, but more often than not it's water weight. The exercise is great but diet is key, how are you doing with that?
I never used to eat breakfast, and I've been eating some fruit in the morning and take an apple for a snack for break at work. I only work 4 hours a day. I will have a tuna or turkey sandwich when I get home after 9am and then hit the treadmill. I eat a couple of hard boiled eggs at noon and drink Gatorade. Dinner usually is meat taters and veggies of some variety. I take in about 1350 calories thru the day and I'm watching portion sizes. Seems to keep me satisfied. Do you think I need to eat more than I am or keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for the support!
bubsy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #509
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsy73 View Post
I never used to eat breakfast, and I've been eating some fruit in the morning and take an apple for a snack for break at work. I only work 4 hours a day. I will have a tuna or turkey sandwich when I get home after 9am and then hit the treadmill. I eat a couple of hard boiled eggs at noon and drink Gatorade. Dinner usually is meat taters and veggies of some variety. I take in about 1350 calories thru the day and I'm watching portion sizes. Seems to keep me satisfied. Do you think I need to eat more than I am or keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for the support!
There is a lot more info needed because I don't see how what you listed could be 1350 cals unless you're eating one real big meal for dinner. If you could give us a little bit of an idea of your daily schedule and a more accurate foods list then suggestions can be made but from what I can see your diet needs an overhaul.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #510
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
It said I was almost 20% BF....
Fatass
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #511
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I'm having a donut right now. That is all

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #512
kalimus

Quote:
There is a lot more info needed because I don't see how what you listed could be 1350 cals unless you're eating one real big meal for dinner. If you could give us a little bit of an idea of your daily schedule and a more accurate foods list then suggestions can be made but from what I can see your diet needs an overhaul.
I could see 1350 pretty easily. Two cans of tuna and two slices of bread without anything else runs about 380 just for the one sandwich. Mayo, maybe some cheese, and that'll rock up to 500 in a heartbeat. 600 with the apple. 740 with two eggs. Lets say another 100 for the morning fruit comes up to 840. Getting 500 calories out of meat, potatoes and random veggies is very easy. Even with lean meat, 8 oz chicken is about 240-260 calories. 1 potato at 120-150. The gatorade for an easy 100. No problem.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #513
kalimus

Quote:
I'm having a donut right now. That is all
I'm letting myself get up to 12-15% this year. No cutting until next spring. I want to try to put on 40 pounds or so by next January. I'm sitting at about 10% now, but I know that the bodyfat is going to come. It's so hard to eat the amount of calories I need by only eating whole and healthy foods :( I hope this experiment goes well...
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #514
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I could see 1350 pretty easily. Two cans of tuna and two slices of bread without anything else runs about 380 just for the one sandwich. Mayo, maybe some cheese, and that'll rock up to 500 in a heartbeat. 600 with the apple. 740 with two eggs. Lets say another 100 for the morning fruit comes up to 840. Getting 500 calories out of meat, potatoes and random veggies is very easy. Even with lean meat, 8 oz chicken is about 240-260 calories. 1 potato at 120-150. The gatorade for an easy 100. No problem.
If you add all the extra's but they were not mentioned by the op, that's why I asked for a more detailed food list.

Also where the cals are coming from and nutrient timing is off especially for fat loss.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #515
CFD

Quote:
I'm letting myself get up to 12-15% this year. No cutting until next spring. I want to try to put on 40 pounds or so by next January. I'm sitting at about 10% now, but I know that the bodyfat is going to come. It's so hard to eat the amount of calories I need by only eating whole and healthy foods :( I hope this experiment goes well...
At 12-15% you will be as fat as me. lol
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #516
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
I've started to learn that I don't need a lot of extra body fat to put on mass. It's just more fat you have to lose when you want to chisel up again.

I think eating lots of foods that are hard to convert to fat is the key. Clean low glycemic carbs and LOTS of protein and some healthy fats like natural peanut butter and almonds. Seems to be working pretty good for me thus far. I do have 2-3 cheat meals a week in the off season, but if I see my BF creep past 9% I cut those back until it comes back down. I've averaged right about 8.9% this off season and have put on 14-15 lbs thus far from when I was down to 7.2% BF back in June.

I've also changed up my lifting a bit. Instead of 8-10 reps I'm down to 4 sets with 6-8 reps per set lifting the heaviest weight I can possible push. By the 4th set if I get more than 6 reps I add more weight the following week to that exercise. Joints are a bit tender due to the weight lifted, but if I'm careful with the warm up it's not too bad.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #517
CFD

Quote:
I've started to learn that I don't need a lot of extra body fat to put on mass. It's just more fat you have to lose when you want to chisel up again.

I think eating lots of foods that are hard to convert to fat is the key. Clean low glycemic carbs and LOTS of protein and some healthy fats like natural peanut butter and almonds. Seems to be working pretty good for me thus far. I do have 2-3 cheat meals a week in the off season, but if I see my BF creep past 9% I cut those back until it comes back down. I've averaged right about 8.9% this off season and have put on 14-15 lbs thus far from when I was down to 7.2% BF back in June.

I've also changed up my lifting a bit. Instead of 8-10 reps I'm down to 4 sets with 6-8 reps per set lifting the heaviest weight I can possible push. By the 4th set if I get more than 6 reps I add more weight the following week to that exercise. Joints are a bit tender due to the weight lifted, but if I'm careful with the warm up it's not too bad.

I completely agree with eating as mentioned above be it for fat loss or muscle gain, the only difference is caloric intake.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #518
kalimus

Quote:

I agree. But excess calories is what leads to new mass. And if I don't do a cutting routine at all for the next 12 months, extra bodyfat is unavoidable. If I manage to put on 40 pounds, It would be a safe bet that anywhere between 10 and 15 pounds of that will be from fat.

I also hate the process of maintaining the chiseled abs look, and I can only mentally tolerate it for so long. 12-15% BF is still very healthy for a male, and if I only gain 10-15 pounds of fat over a year, I can get rid of that in 8 weeks or so. What I don't want to do is stress putting on some fat at the cost of putting on muscle at too slow of a rate. I mean if I wanted to, I could probably shoot for 20 pounds over the next year, and only gain 4-5 pounds of fat. While that's appealing, I can live with the additonal fat.

I still only do 1 cheat meal a week when i'm trying to put on weight. But I eat other things that, while not "cheat" meals, are still things I don't eat when I'm cutting. Fattier red meat (like the 80/20), peanut butter (more often), and fattier foods in general (more dairy). I still eat the same kinds of carbs, just a lot more of them. Brown rice, whole wheat pasta... same things I eat when I'm cutting. Just in bigger amounts. But trying to hit 3500-4000 calories a day eating whole foods is really hard for me.

And the last thing that I eat is Snickers. Every day after the gym with my protein shake. I never do that when I cut, but I desire the insulin spike after I lift, and it satisfies my sweet tooth