Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #29
T_MECO

Drives: 2013 SS/RS 1LE
is there a fix for it or do we have to live with it?
T_MECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Quoted from the original thread on this topic:

"it is the evap vent valve. the pcm uses it to monitor evap(fuel vapor) leakage, the pcm runs a test for it under certain driving conditions and when it does you here the valve/solenoid clicking"
This seems correct. The only time I hear this is when I have less than 1/4 tank of fuel.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #31
SSGator
One slick 2010 Black 2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS 6M
I think it is the Trunk Monkey getting off back there!!! LOL
Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #32
dollardoc

Drives: 2SS/RS, Cyber Gray/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
I'm saving up for my Camaro (first post here, but have been lurking for the past week or so), but I may have a possible explanation for this. If the Camaro has the same evaporator system as my Cobalt SS, it's likely that this is the clicking sound you hear. It can even get so loud for me that it sounds like someone is lightly knocking on the back of my car.

Again, not sure if they use the same system, but if it is, this sound is a known occurrence in Cobalts (many posts about this over at Cobaltss.net). Even spoke to my dealership about this once, and he said it's normal for GM cars.

OK, I've had my car just over a week now (about 400 miles) and this light knocking has happened to me twice, just as Dire Wolf listed above - only while sitting at a stop light. Seems to occur when the car is still warming up, say after driving 1-2 miles. This quoted cause makes good sense but I gotta tell ya, its really creepy sounding. I first thought someone was banging on my truck at the stop light. When I couldn't see anyone, I thought someone was locked in the truck and was trying to signal they wanted out! Weird. Guess I can live with it if necessary but nothing makes me more angry than hearing from the supposed expert GM mechanics that "that's normal" for GM cars. I've had about a dozen of them over the years and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard such a noise. Like I said, WEIRD (especially if it's "normal").
dollardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #33
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollardoc View Post
Guess I can live with it if necessary but nothing makes me more angry than hearing from the supposed expert GM mechanics that "that's normal" for GM cars. I've had about a dozen of them over the years and this is the FIRST time I've ever heard such a noise. Like I said, WEIRD (especially if it's "normal").
It might be a normal function but I too have never heard a GM car make this sound where it is audible inside the car. I'm used to it now and probably won't worry about it but I do have to explain it every time someone rides in the car for the first time. The look I got from people in the passangers seat that hear it is hilarious.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
milhouse316

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS/RS
I swear someone is living in my trunk!!! I check it all the time, the noise freaks me out.
milhouse316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
hogrider

Drives: 2SS SIM
I heard it at a stop light two nights ago. Had me looking out the windows. Really sounds like somebody tapping!
hogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #36
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Sounds like your trunk monkey is trying to escape!

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #37
youcmecruzin13

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G5, Camaro nxt 2 mnths
I second what Fifthgear said. I have a Pontiac G5, and I hear it. I was alone in my car at the mall one NIGHT and was sitting waiting for my girl, while I was texting, the car was off, I heard it and thought someone was knocking on my car. Only to look and see noone, so I got out and saw noone, so I thought someone was playing tricks on me. Later I heard it again, and come to figure out that my sisters Cobalt does it too, about 5-10 secs after the engine is off. Guess its normal...?
youcmecruzin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #38
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Clicking in the trunk? If you're lucky... You're transporting something like Jason Statham in the first Transporter? Go let her out. chicka bow bow...

Otherwise... Make sure you knock em out next time ! They're probably fiddling with that silly glow in the dark escape lever back there.

In all seriousness though, I've never heard any clicking noises back there.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:23 AM   #39
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #40
SilentSonic

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
This seems correct. The only time I hear this is when I have less than 1/4 tank of fuel.
Yep - exactly the same here.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #41
tmurphycardesign
Tmurphycardesign

Drives: 17 ss 1LE arctic blue
yea i heard it too..it really does sound like someone in your trunk
tmurphycardesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #42
Memaat
Proud Dad of 3 Kids

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM w/Red Stripes, Opt Fangs
It bugs me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurphycardesign View Post
yea i heard it too..it really does sound like someone in your trunk
I get the same noise, usually when starting the car in the AM. Sounds exactly like those old after market in-line electric fuel-pumps going tat...tat...tat..tat..tat.tat.taaaaaaaaat, then it stops.

I also have a hard time shifting the gears when first starting out in the morning, or when tans fluid is cold.

Living Life
Memaat is offline   Reply With Quote