Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 01-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Project Good Cop/Bad Cop

Well a few months ago I picked up a couple of B4C Camaros from the local auction.

After messing with them and checking them out I found the one on the trailer had a broken flexplate and the other has some tranny issues so I have decided to start a thread for this project.

I am unable to decide which will be the "Good Cop" and Which will be the "Bad Cop".

Anyway I have decided one will be a bolt on daily driver and the other will basically be a street legal race car.

I started on the DD which is the car on the dolly, after taking the tranny out to replace the flexplate, I found that the flexplate had knocked a few of the rear bolts off of the rear engine cover, sheared 2 of the 3 torque converter bolts and cracked the rear engine cover.

Well I replaced the rear cover, tranny seals, installed a TCI Flexplate, a sonnax boost valve, a poly trans mount and a Circle D 3200 stall torque converter. (I forgot pics of these parts, but will try to get the best pics possible since the tranny is already bolted back into place)

Tonight, I should have the UMI torque arm, deep tranny pan and drive shaft back in so I can take it for a test drive.

I have some other parts sitting there ready to go on like headers and poly motor mounts, but will have to keep the stock exhaust until I get a y-pipe in.

Also planned in the near future is an SLP lid, a SSRA ram air kit, 3:73 gears, DRs and a Diablo In-Tune.

Hoping for a 12sec DD, at our almost 4,000ft altitude we will see how it turns out.
Attached Images

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac

Last edited by K1SSRSS; 01-03-2014 at 05:59 PM.
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Any other ideas or input for either of the cars would be greatly appriciated.

My current rough plans for the race car are a 416 LS3 based stroker motor with either a turbo or centrifugal supercharger. Only thing I have set in stone for this car is a 12 bolt Moser rear end and Weld Aluma-Stars which I already own.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Dukeboy01

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS; 2001 Silverado
What are your plans for paint schemes and the like?
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
You could go with a police theme on one of them. Throw a bunch of lighting on it—engine bay, interior—with a brush guard and a black-and-white paint job.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
What are your plans for paint schemes and the like?
I'm not really sure yet, I would really like a dark silver on one, but I'm not sure about changing the color too much since I would have to do the door jams, underhood ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
You could go with a police theme on one of them. Throw a bunch of lighting on it—engine bay, interior—with a brush guard and a black-and-white paint job.
I just might do the lighting, but I doubt I would have the brush guard. The b&w paint job might work if I found the right scheme. Funny thing is the siren and the flashers in the headlights and taillights still work, all they did was remove the switch and disconnect the wire from the box to the battery.

504hp/478tq
Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #6
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
You really brought back memories for me with those B4C Camaros. I drove a 1999 B4C automatic LS1 and it was the medium green. I never knew the name GM gave that color but it was a phenomenal car. Mine has a gray interior with internal red/blue strobe lights with flashing headlights.

I'd say leave one (DD) close to factory appearance as they are still a great looking car. Driving the B4C as a traffic enforcement car was great and it generally got 22 MPG on daily highway patrol with 89 octane fuel. I had the Camaro loaded down with equipment and still got 28 to 30 on trips to the Capitol.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
I just checked and the 99 Camaro B4C I drove was Mystic Green Matallic.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASCAR2 View Post
You really brought back memories for me with those B4C Camaros. I drove a 1999 B4C automatic LS1 and it was the medium green. I never knew the name GM gave that color but it was a phenomenal car. Mine has a gray interior with internal red/blue strobe lights with flashing headlights.

I'd say leave one (DD) close to factory appearance as they are still a great looking car. Driving the B4C as a traffic enforcement car was great and it generally got 22 MPG on daily highway patrol with 89 octane fuel. I had the Camaro loaded down with equipment and still got 28 to 30 on trips to the Capitol.
Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's what I will end up doing. I picked the one with the best paint and body to make the dd. Appearance wise all I will probably do is fill the light bar holes, repaint the roof, black out the tail panel, lower it about an 1" and buff it. I figure if I can keep it over 20mpg I will be happy and can save money for the race car. The color on these is Navy Blue Metallic.

504hp/478tq
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Why the 12 bolt, if youre intent on building a race car, better to go with a 9 inch. The torque arm mount on the 12 bolts it what causes the housing to flex, then things break.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get them for?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
Why the 12 bolt, if youre intent on building a race car, better to go with a 9 inch. The torque arm mount on the 12 bolts it what causes the housing to flex, then things break.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get them for?
Well I was planning on the Moser 12 bolt since I already have one that I planned on pulling out of my old 3rd gen race car, but I may have to do some more research now that you mention it. I was always under the understanding the 12 bolt was just about as strong as 9", but lacked the ease of swapping gears. I never had a problem with it, but it was only behind a 600hp small block and I am aiming for 800-900hp with an ls build.

I picked up the one with the broken flexplate for 1500 because it didn't have keys at the time of the auction, the other was 2300 iirc but it seemed like it was running great until I was driving it home and found out it had a problem with 3rd & 4th. Both were just over 80k on the odometer.

504hp/478tq
Old 01-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Cool, great pick ups. A lot more info over on LS1tech about the rears. Most shops will never recommend a 12bolt for a manual trans or auto cars making high horsepower.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
So...I'm still stuck on the "picked up a pair" part.

You scored TWO B4Cs at Auction?? LOL I've been trolling the GSA and Police auctions up here quietly trying to pick ONE up.

Lemme know how a fella like me can get down there and find ONE. LOL

Congrats man!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
So...I'm still stuck on the "picked up a pair" part.

You scored TWO B4Cs at Auction?? LOL I've been trolling the GSA and Police auctions up here quietly trying to pick ONE up.

Lemme know how a fella like me can get down there and find ONE. LOL

Congrats man!
Ivan
Thanks, yea I picked up two of them. I had been trolling the city auctions since they decommissioned them 3 or 4 years ago in favor of a pair of 5th gens.

I will keep an eye out for you since I'm somewhat of an auction junkie (was just at one today lol), but honestly I think these are the only 2 LCPD had.

Every once in a while I do find a dui or drug seizure car though and since I'm banned by the wife from buying any more Camaros until I finish some of the projects and get rid of the 6cyl cars, I might as well pass the deals on to a fellow Camaro fan instead of letting them go to the local used car salesmen.

504hp/478tq
Old 02-15-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
Thanks, yea I picked up two of them. I had been trolling the city auctions since they decommissioned them 3 or 4 years ago in favor of a pair of 5th gens.

I will keep an eye out for you since I'm somewhat of an auction junkie (was just at one today lol), but honestly I think these are the only 2 LCPD had.

Every once in a while I do find a dui or drug seizure car though and since I'm banned by the wife from buying any more Camaros until I finish some of the projects and get rid of the 6cyl cars, I might as well pass the deals on to a fellow Camaro fan instead of letting them go to the local used car salesmen.
For real!! LOL We're actually selling one of our Camaros. Picked up another 4th Gen in the meantime. But I could use one of them NBM cars ya got there.

What they end up going for??!!

Woot!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote