Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Mine filled up with burning clutch(I'm not going into that right now) and it smelled for about three weeks.

I used carpet fresh on the floors, several times, put it down and vacuum. I used fabreeze on all but the leather several times. I wiped down all of the plastic several times. I treated the leather with Zaino leather products several times. I removed the cabin air filter and cleaned that compartment real good. I wanted to replace the cabin air filter, but there was a debacle there, so I still have the original. Finally the smell came out. You can't even tell now.

Good luck.

Nice to know that you were able to get rid of burning clutch smell! Ive smelt some burt clutches and that stuff is brutal. Took a month for my friends car to smell normal. Thanks for your input
Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #16
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Since the ac wasn't running the smoke would have a difficult time displacing the dead air in the ventilation tubing. After cleaning the interior surfaces, a few days of windows down cruising with the VENT on high should easily remove the recently settled smoke residue. It will also allow a lot of fresh air to flow through the cabin and air out the dash and other hidden spaces. I'd put extra effort in cleaning the carpet. Good luck, let us know.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #17
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Get professional detail and little time it will go away. Think of that new car smell how long does that last, all smells fade with time. Do not panic we are making an emergency landing. Um Miss why is the pilot putting on a parachute. OH NO TIME TO PANIC.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #18
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I would turn it in to the insurance company and let them handle it.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
You need to replace the engine air filter and cabin filter ASAP. I would not even drive it till you can change the engine filter. Allot of damage can come from that kind of smoke getting into a motor.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Possibly change the cabin filter?

I wander if you can have the other guys insurance pay to clean it and replace the filters?

Last edited by MikeSVX; 02-20-2014 at 10:14 AM.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Agree, let insurance handle it. Guess the parking garage sprinklers did not help much. Surprised you got smoke in the interior.
I also park in my apt. building underground parking garage with over 200 autos. Now I am concerned how effective the sprinklers would be in case of an auto fire.

Keep us informed.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
Good_Times

Drives: red
The car needs to have a ozone machine run in it after a thorough cleaning and a fogger run while using the a/c and heater to aid in circulating the fog. Replace the cabin filter and you will be good to go. A reputable detailer should be able to perform this service .
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #23
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
Update. Surprisingly, the car did not smell that bad. Even the detail place I took it to couldn't really smell much. They vacuumed, cleaned the plastic, and conditioned the inside. I really can't smell anything now. Im going to change the cabin air filter. I have a washable filter for my rotofab so I'm just going to recharge it with a kit.

Im completely shocked lol But oh well I'm not going to question it, just thank God lol
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #24
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I used to work for a Lexus dealership that had an SC430 traded in. This car had the house/garage burn down around the car WHILE THE TOP WAS DOWN. No fire damage to the car at all, but it smelled like someone had a cedar bonfire going in that car 24/7. It wouldn't sell. It was a $45k car, and we finally had to let it go for $20. It sold to an old guy who had no olfactory sense. (Match made in heaven)

I was really really hoping you didn't have to go through something similar. Glad it's working out well for you. I was fearing the worst.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote