Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
txrhino

Drives: '10 LT1 CGM "Sweet Emotion"
Arrow Adding ABL what else do I need?

I am adding ABL to my LT1 doors. I have the door panel inserts, two of the blue led lights......what I am missing is the what carries the light down the length of the door. In another thread I was told it was number 17 in the below diagram the "lens back". Is this correct? Is this all I will need to complete my project? Anything I am missing? Any help /suggestions greatly appreciated.
use this link if photo didnt upload correctly
http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Txrhino
Kevin
'10 LT1 CGM
"Sweet Emotions"
Pics Coming Soon
Attached Images

txrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
You will probably have to tap into the light in your door switch to power the LEDs.
I haven't taken the door panels out lately, but that is probably the yellow wire as that is what it is for the traction control switch, and sunroof switch.

If you do it, you will be the first known 1LT that did the ambient lighting.

Suggestion, see if you can find some door panels at a junk yard. www.car-part.com is a good starting point. Maybe you can get the tube from there.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Hupperware

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Metallic 1LT
Send a message via AIM to Hupperware Send a message via MSN to Hupperware Send a message via Yahoo to Hupperware Send a message via Skype™ to Hupperware
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
If you do it, you will be the first known 1LT that did the ambient lighting.
Missing the "aftermarket" word there All Synergys (all 1LT) have ambient.
Hupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
txrhino

I purchased the door panels from a camaro5 member he kept the ambiant lighting part. I just want to make double sure the part number 17 is all I will need to complete my mission. Not that finding this piece as a stand alone piece will be easy. http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0
Just don't want any suprises when I pull my panels.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
In order to do the lighting in the doors, you need light pipes, which I have heard are discontinued. I know for fact there are other forms of tubes w/ already attached LED's. But, yes. To answer your question, all you need is #17. I think it was "digi-key" that carried them. Look at their site and you are going to find some awesome stuff, parts, and alternatives if they don't carry the light pipe anymore.

Again, all you need are the GM lights (x2 blue), two light pipes from digi key, and a way to tap into the wires. I know shutduck has all the wire connections down. He's Mr. Electrical when it comes to this stuff.

Have fun looking and go to digikey for SURE!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Skuttduck - I've looked around the DIY's and seen you in there alot. Is there a DIY for putting ABL in a 1SS (without any of the power hookups or anything) if there is I can't seem to find it
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupperware View Post
Missing the "aftermarket" word there All Synergys (all 1LT) have ambient.
Ok you caught me on that one.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
Skuttduck - I've looked around the DIY's and seen you in there alot. Is there a DIY for putting ABL in a 1SS (without any of the power hookups or anything) if there is I can't seem to find it
Not yet. No one has done that yet. I believe it can be done by tapping the instrument panel lighting circuit. Which should be the yellow and black wires that power the lamp in your door switch, and if you wanted a good place to tap for the dash, use the traction control switch.

All you really need is a 5MM light pipe of some sort. All it is, is a clear rod 5mm in diameter with a straight line that is white on the back. You could probably use an acrylic curtain rod, and paint the back of it white to do the same thing.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
txrhino

I have never seen inside a door equipped with ABL. I am also doing my dash panels and have the digi-key tyco light pipe for that install. So part number 17 is a light pipe? I guess the name "lens back" just throws me off. I have been told it has to be purchased as a complete set with the panels from GM but hopefully I can track some down from GM.

My question "lens back" = light pipe?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrhino View Post
I have never seen inside a door equipped with ABL. I am also doing my dash panels and have the digi-key tyco light pipe for that install. So part number 17 is a light pipe? I guess the name "lens back" just throws me off. I have been told it has to be purchased as a complete set with the panels from GM but hopefully I can track some down from GM.

My question "lens back" = light pipe?

Thanks,
Kevin

Yes that is correct. There is a special bend at the end of the GM one because of the curve of the door. Other than that, it is a 5mm clear acrylic tube with a piece of white plastic to help reflect the light.

There was a thread where someone had made a guide on how to extend the ambient light all the way to the dash. If I could find that, this would help.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
txrhino

So many thanks,,,,I just really want to be sure before I start taking things apart.

Kevin

I love this site
found out what I needed to know in less then thirty minutes!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Jayhawk500

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
The power connector should be in the door. Even if this is a LT, the wiring should be there, 'cause they're all wired the same.
I may suggest a second light on each door, this way the light will be even across the panel. The factory abl has a "dummy light" to hold the forward end of the light pipe. Put this second light in that place.
You'll like what you see.

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!
Jayhawk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

Search for ABL in the title of the DIY section. There's a BUNCH there. I have not wired it, but taken it all apart, extended the ABL on the doors, installed ABL on teh dash...tons of stuff (even did it in el wire too). SO...any questions, pm me. Only thing I can't do is help you on wiring (shuttduck has that one down)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
verboten

Drives: Black
Tag, there are a lot of posts on ABL, io your opinion which is the best method for the dash, taking in consideration, matching light consistency and color? I have syn green.

The light tape sounds cool, but is it too bright? Is oem light tube or tape?
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote