Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #2213
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Z/28 would be an ideal choice for me as a DD. I would add AC and a stereo. I would also add a cam, Harrop Hurricane or FAST intake and a tune along with select bushes, bars and Supercars. I would wear out the ZEROs and replace them with RE-11s for DD and add a second set of Forgeline's with slicks for track days. There is no such thing as enough of a good thing.

After spending a full day with the Z/28 and 2014 refresh I can honestly say there isn't a bad line on the car. I spoke at length with Tom Peters and believe the new look is closer to what TEAM Camaro wanted back in 09, but could not deliver for a variety of reasons. The look in person is meaner, leaner and just plain Bad Axx.

I'd DD the Z/28. I drove my 70 Chevelle for years with no A/C or a working radio and it wasn't anywhere near as exciting to drive as the Z/28 will be.

Does anyone know if GM will take internal organs as a payment method?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #2214
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I'd DD the Z/28. I drove my 70 Chevelle for years with no A/C or a working radio and it wasn't anywhere near as exciting to drive as the Z/28 will be.

Does anyone know if GM will take internal organs as a payment method?
My '69 Z/28 never had AC, decent stereo would be a plus though. And as far as internal organs, they can have any of mine except my heart as a payment method!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #2215
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Poor tolerance for heat stress makes A/C a mandatory option for me any more. With that, I would still daily-drive this car. While I'd prefer a 2-channel stereo if it was to be my only DD, a single-speaker setup would not be a deal-breaker for a pure toy.

I'm not all that far removed from daily-driving a car that had lightweight I/O carpeting on the interior with no padding underneath it, so this car isn't exactly Spartan for not having a trunk mat and for not having features that I might even pay not to have in any of my cars.

In the same way as I'd have quit worrying about the way the rear of the 2010 Mustang restyle looked to me if I'd bought one of those (which would have been for the performance), I wouldn't worry about this car's rump either. That'd be other peoples' problem, and I might even enjoy it more that way.

On edit . . . I wonder if GM at least made the HSA defeatable . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #2216
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
There are other options like a track only COPO style Z28.
Yes indeed, sir - yes indeed!

And, by the way, thank you!
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #2217
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Gee, I hope Gramps69Z is doing ok, I'm surprised he's not here to celebrate the return of the Z/28.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #2218
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
HSA?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2219
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Hill Start Assist

Probably the least liked feature on 2013 MY manual transmission cars.

Norm
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #2220
JusticePete

Had a lengthy discussion with a GM engineer about that this week. The new cal is much improved. For those that struggle to drive a stick HSA is important. For those that have been driving sticks for years HSA has been intrusive. Owners will find the 2014 CAL to be almost seamless regardless of skill level.

The bad news, you can't use the new CAL on previous model years.

I have sent off an email to see if the Z/28 has HSA.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #2221
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Poor tolerance for heat stress makes A/C a mandatory option for me any more. With that, I would still daily-drive this car. While I'd prefer a 2-channel stereo if it was to be my only DD, a single-speaker setup would not be a deal-breaker for a pure toy.

I'm not all that far removed from daily-driving a car that had lightweight I/O carpeting on the interior with no padding underneath it, so this car isn't exactly Spartan for not having a trunk mat and for not having features that I might even pay not to have in any of my cars.

In the same way as I'd have quit worrying about the way the rear of the 2010 Mustang restyle looked to me if I'd bought one of those (which would have been for the performance), I wouldn't worry about this car's rump either. That'd be other peoples' problem, and I might even enjoy it more that way.

On edit . . . I wonder if GM at least made the HSA defeatable . . .

Norm
I agree AC is a must for me as well.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #2222
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Had a lengthy discussion with a GM engineer about that this week. The new cal is much improved. For those that struggle to drive a stick HSA is important. For those that have been driving sticks for years HSA has been intrusive. Owners will find the 2014 CAL to be almost seamless regardless of skill level.

The bad news, you can't use the new CAL on previous model years.

I have sent off an email to see if the Z/28 has HSA.
If so is it defeatable?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #2223
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Hey Pete (or anyone else). what do you think of the 11.5" rear/11" front setup? do you think 11" all the way around would have been better for the Z's purpose?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #2224
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

The way I see it, it's a very mild understeer effect that isn't costing front tire grip to get - just that the rear slip angles would be just a little smaller than they would be on 11's. Same philosophy as the 10"/11" combination on the 1LE, only milder.

Could be it's a way to let you get back into the throttle just a little more a little sooner.

If we're going to shoot for a 'square' wheel width setup as well as the 'square' tire size arrangement - why not 11.5's all around . . . just idly wondering . . .

Norm
Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #2225
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

The fronts already protrude out the side.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #2226
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yeah, the mid 40's price point that we were kinda hoping for seems unlikely with all that they've done on the car. My gut tells me that its going to start at at least 50 grand.
At ZL1 pricing I don't think there are enough LS7 motors to meet demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Look who else is using the new tires... that's a pretty good recommendation

The twist is those are special just like the ZL1 and 1LE GYs. The 'same' tire not made to Chevy Camaro or Porsche specs won't be the same. When we pick tires for project cars, we always look at what tires are available for special cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If we're going to shoot for a 'square' wheel width setup as well as the 'square' tire size arrangement - why not 11.5's all around . . . just idly wondering . . .

Norm
The 11.5s would be perfect IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The fronts already protrude out the side.
A little stretching by a good body knocker can fix that.

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro