Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Follow up: "Hit and Run" (thread from last month)

Last month I posted a thread about my car getting hit in a parking lot:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466486

I finally got it back yesterday. The short version is that it was originally going to take 8 or 9 days and wound up being 16 days, plus bringing it back for another day and a half to get things right. Here's the long version of what I went through (spoiler alert: I'll never use Cox Chevy of Bradenton for bodywork repair again)

9/27/16
Dropped it off. Told it would be 8 or 9 days (Oct. 4th or 5th)

10/4/16

Got an email saying, "We are on track for 10/07/2016."

10/5/16

Got an email saying, "We are nearing completion. The last mile is the toughest! If any delays, we will call you."

10/7/16

Got an email saying, "We have updated your estimated completion date from 10/07/2016 05:00 PM to 10/10/2016 11:38 AM." I called and was told that they had to special order the bumper and deliveries were delayed because of Hurricane Matthew.

10/10/16

Got a call from Enterprise Rental Car informing me that Infinity Insurance will not be paying for a rental car after today. I assume they weren't told that the completion date had been pushed back and felt that I should have picked up my own car by now.
I then called Cox to verify that the car would be ready for pick up that day and was told that it wouln't because the wrong tail light was ordered. The correct one will be overnighted and delivered the morning of 10/11. After installation and tests, it should be ready in the afternoon.

10/11/16

Got a call early afternoon telling me that the tail light was JUST delivered. Car may not be ready by closing time that day (it wasn't).

10/12/16

At 4:00 I called Dave and got his voicemail (as usual) so I went to the dealership to speak to him in person and to get things straightened out with the rental car. When I got there I looked the car over and found that the vinyl part of the rear bumber had scratches and scuff marks on it. My guess is that this part was pulled from a salvage yard and not new. So they called Dave back and he said that those aren't scuff marks, they're tape residue from masking it off for painting. He tried to clean them off, then finally agreed that they were scratches and scuff marks and said that if I leave the car with them he'll have someone try to fix it in the morning. He said Cox would cover the cost of the rental car and insurance supplement for the rest of the repair time.

10/13/16

Picked up the car. The bumper looked good, but also had a very slick feel to it, as if the marring had just been covered with something like Armor-all. Dave said that if the marks reappear then they'll replace the bumper if need be. After washing the car, some of the scratches are showing again. I also noticed that the bezel around the muffler is crooked, and on closer inspection saw that part of it is loose from the bumper. There is also overspray under the spoiler and scratches next to the left tail light (no pics of those). Needless to say, I'll be bringing my car back to have this corrected.

The crooked tail light bezel

Compared to the left side:

The overspray on the spoiler. It was about a 5" circle but I cleaned off most of it before I noticed the tail pipe bezel and decided to bring it back. I could have finished it myself, but I wanted them to see what crappy work they did.

They also scratched the bumper:

10/25/16

Dropped it off again to have the above issues fixed. Got a courtesy car (2017 Camaro 1LT)

10/26/16

Picked it up. Everything finally looks right. Except they never covered the rental car and insurance for the extra time that they said they would. The girl at the rental place put in a request to have it fixed.

And get this. I left my dashcam hooked up and caught this short conversation of the guy that smiled, shook my hand, and acted like he was just as disappointed as I was, then told another mechanic what he really thinks (language is NSFW):
https://youtu.be/GKC_nMiTxHY

It sounds like criticism, but I actually take it as a compliment!

And if anyone is curious, here's the workup of the damage costs. It says $3700, but it went up to $4200 because they hadn't considered the RS parts and bumper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg

Last edited by scandata; 01-07-2017 at 10:47 PM.
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Glad you got everything worked out Mike.
I tried to play the video but it says "private".
I know you already know this, but just as a reminder, do not seal or wax over the new paint for 90 days.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #3
BossRS4

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
That video really bothers me. How is it BS if he admits the job the first time wasn't done properly? Please tell me thats the last time you take it there.
45% Tint on Windshield
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake
Oracle Afterburner Tail Lights
Oracle LED Sidemarkers
RDP Tune
TSP Long Tube Headers
Forza Componenti 3-Way Exhaust Controller
ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill
BossRS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Glad you got everything worked out Mike.
I tried to play the video but it says "private".
I know you already know this, but just as a reminder, do not seal or wax over the new paint for 90 days.
Thanks. I don't know why the video showed "private." I used a different computer and made sure I was logged out and was still able to view it. The video was the shop manager telling another guy that "fixing the tail pipe bezel is a legitimate complaint, but the rest is just B.S... but this guy is real anal about it."

That's why I wish I would have left all of the overspray on the spoiler instead of trying to clean it off.

Last week I actually DID forget and wax the freshly painted part, but then I quickly used some Griot's paint prep spray and wiped it down. Do you think I should Dawn-wash it just to be safe, or maybe just go over it with a Speedy Prep Towel?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Thanks. I don't know why the video showed "private." I used a different computer and made sure I was logged out and was still able to view it. The video was the shop manager telling another guy that "fixing the tail pipe bezel is a legitimate complaint, but the rest is just B.S... but this guy is real anal about it."

That's why I wish I would have left all of the overspray on the spoiler instead of trying to clean it off.

Last week I actually DID forget and wax the freshly painted part, but then I quickly used some Griot's paint prep spray and wiped it down. Do you think I should Dawn-wash it just to be safe, or maybe just go over it with a Speedy Prep Towel?
I haven't used Griots PP, but the MFG says it removes wax, so I'd think your fine after using it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Everyone should get professional results from any "professional " shop! Not only that your car is a rare Green Flash vert.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossRS4 View Post
That video really bothers me. How is it BS if he admits the job the first time wasn't done properly? Please tell me thats the last time you take it there.
Oh yes, that is DEFINITELY that last time I deal with them. I figured because it's at a Chevy dealership they'd be professional and thorough. Instead, they're surprised that I didn't accept a half-assed job that took twice as long as promised. Makes me wonder how many other inferior repairs they've done where people just accepted it and figured that's as good as it gets.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiemac View Post
Everyone should get professional results from any "professional " shop! Not only that your car is a rare Green Flash vert.
I know, right? It's not like I'm expecting any special treatment because of that, but come on guys, the car's only 10 months old - I just want it in the same condition it was before it got hit!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Thumbs up to my dealer on fixing my 4month old Impala that got rear ended in a parking lot hit and run. Looks good as new! I'm picky as anyone should be! Cost me $500 for the deductible. Gutless rat must have known they hit me because it was over $2700 est and then the body shop found more hidden damage. My insurance is great and sent the check quickly with no problem. All new GM parts replaced, no body filler other than what is factory around inner panel seams. I was pi$$ed! I would have left a note if I did that to someone's obviously brand new car or any condition car! Bstards!
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiemac View Post
Thumbs up to my dealer on fixing my 4month old Impala that got rear ended in a parking lot hit and run. Looks good as new! I'm picky as anyone should be! Cost me $500 for the deductible. Gutless rat must have known they hit me because it was over $2700 est and then the body shop found more hidden damage. My insurance is great and sent the check quickly with no problem. All new GM parts replaced, no body filler other than what is factory around inner panel seams. I was pi$$ed! I would have left a note if I did that to someone's obviously brand new car or any condition car! Bstards!
It sucks when they do that. I always think of the line in Pulp Fiction when Vincent Vega's car gets keyed: "it would be worth having him do that to my car just to catch him in the act." The only solace is knowing that their car is probably just as trashed.

Cool about the great job the dealer did on your Impala. I guess not all dealers are sloppy. There's a different Chevy dealer about the same distance from my house in the other direction. I'll try them for my next oil change and see if they're worthy of any future repairs.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #11
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
It sucks when they do that. I always think of the line in Pulp Fiction when Vincent Vega's car gets keyed: "it would be worth having him do that to my car just to catch him in the act." The only solace is knowing that their car is probably just as trashed.

Cool about the great job the dealer did on your Impala. I guess not all dealers are sloppy. There's a different Chevy dealer about the same distance from my house in the other direction. I'll try them for my next oil change and see if they're worthy of any future repairs.
How is the paint match on the 1/4 panel?

If possible, can you post close-up pics of the area they repaired? Thanks.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
How is the paint match on the 1/4 panel?

If possible, can you post close-up pics of the area they repaired? Thanks.
The paint is a perfect match color-wise, but it's a little orange-peely. Not enough that a casual viewer would even notice, but I see it under close inspection. might be able to smooth it out a bit when I do my next polishing.

I'll post take some pics when I get a chance.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #13
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Wow, what a PIA!! After mine got tapped in the ass, I took it to a professional body shop and they did a fantastic job, did take a little bit because of the part availability, but I had zero complaints. Sorry for your issues!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
Wow, what a PIA!! After mine got tapped in the ass, I took it to a professional body shop and they did a fantastic job, did take a little bit because of the part availability, but I had zero complaints. Sorry for your issues!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think a pro body shop is the way to go. The mechs at a body shop at the dealership don't have to worry about their shop's reputation or job security. All they care about is getting done so they can go home. At a privately-owned shop they know that doing sloppy work will eventually cost them business. Also, being that it's privately-owned, they probably take more pride in their work.