Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
LOL, very cool to have the actual voice of Anthony Daniels (KITT) talking to you in a GPS form.. Glad to see such a device will be on the market..

Anthony Daniels was C-3PO, William Daniels was the voice of KITT.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #16
lafountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
Ugh, those things uglify the dash.

Integrated is much better.

My only problem with integrated is the fact that once it becomes outdated, upgrading it can be costly.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #17
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Anthony Daniels was C-3PO, William Daniels was the voice of KITT.
OH God No... If my car sounded like C3PO I'd..I'd Gahhhhhhhhhh Make the bad man stop....
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
Quote:
Ugh, those things uglify the dash.

Integrated is much better.
mine sticks to my windsheild with a suction cup, i dont even notice its there anymore.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #19
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Integrated GPS solutions offer a few advantages.
[1] They typically have larger and easier to read screens.
[2] Audio comes through the radio, so you don't have to worry about the music overpowering the nav guidance.
[3] Integrated looks better than an appendage -- look ma, no wires!
[4] Routing for integrated systems is typically better than entry level stand alone navs
[5] Can dial POIs (e.g. hotels and restaurants) for you if you have a bluetooth phone
[6] You don't have to hide it each time you park the car (to avoid break-in theft)

The stand-alone navs offer a few advantages too.
[1] Cheaper
[2] Easier to update, but not always free (e.g. TomTom)
[3] Portability -- can take it with you on travel

I'm willing to spend the extra money on an integrated system. I don't want to use my crappy TomTom One in the new ride. The voice-only option is vastly inferior and I refuse to pay for that. I'll be stuck sans nav or using a portable nav. GM either felt the nav screen detracted from the 'retro' look or they want to push people towards On Star. Perhaps GM will address this prior to my purchase, which is still 2 years away (hopefully Gen V V8 will be implemented by then too!).
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
and more expensive
If I was worried about money like that I wouldn't be buying a Camaro, my parents are giving me their truck to use. So I really don't need a Camaro. Same thing with the navigation, I don't need it, but when I need to go somewhere new it's a great aid. Much better than a Map, Map Quest, On Star, or on dash solutions.

Quote:
My only problem with integrated is the fact that once it becomes outdated, upgrading it can be costly.
I don't get that? One of the cars my family owns is 15 years old but the tape deck still works even though cassettes are obsolete. It wasn't like when the tape deck became obsolete due to CD's and then MP3's it self destructed.

The Camaro's from the late 60's by all means are obsolete but people still drive them.

Does the US Government plan on shooting down the GPS satellites in the next couple decades? As long as the GPS satellites are still in orbit I will still be able to use the in dash system. As far as I know the GPS satellites will still be in orbit several decades from now, they been in orbit since the 70's.

I am not being offensive, but I just don't understand that whole "outdated" thing. I do enjoy the latest and greatest in technology, but as long as the GPS still gets me to my destination I am fine with it. I plan on keeping this car a good few decades, but when it's outdated by cars of that time I won't dump it just because I can buy something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
mine sticks to my windsheild with a suction cup, i dont even notice its there anymore.
Yea but it's not in the dash with all the wires concealed. It isn't part of the car. I love the navigation in my parents vehicle, it controls all of the cars major systems, has back up camera, offers voice recognition, bigger screen, etc. The on dash systems can't do most of these things. They have on dash systems that offer voice recognition but they cost north of $1000, and still lack features of in dash systems.

Just to be clear, I would buy the Camaro with or without the in dash system but it is something I would pay for if GM offered it factory installed. Plus the Camaro's competitors do offer in dash systems as optional equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralniv View Post
Integrated GPS solutions offer a few advantages.
[1] They typically have larger and easier to read screens.
[2] Audio comes through the radio, so you don't have to worry about the music overpowering the nav guidance.
[3] Integrated looks better than an appendage -- look ma, no wires!
[4] Routing for integrated systems is typically better than entry level stand alone navs
[5] Can dial POIs (e.g. hotels and restaurants) for you if you have a bluetooth phone
[6] You don't have to hide it each time you park the car (to avoid break-in theft)

The stand-alone navs offer a few advantages too.
[1] Cheaper
[2] Easier to update, but not always free (e.g. TomTom)
[3] Portability -- can take it with you on travel

I'm willing to spend the extra money on an integrated system. I don't want to use my crappy TomTom One in the new ride. The voice-only option is vastly inferior and I refuse to pay for that. I'll be stuck sans nav or using a portable nav. GM either felt the nav screen detracted from the 'retro' look or they want to push people towards On Star. Perhaps GM will address this prior to my purchase, which is still 2 years away (hopefully Gen V V8 will be implemented by then too!).
Thank you, out of everyone here you understand the value of an integrated system. I wish GM made a navigation that pops out of the dash. It would keep the retro look of the car, but offer the customers willing to pay for it the latest technology. Maybe something like the Cadillac CTS's navigation system.
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #21
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:
I am not being offensive, but I just don't understand that whole "outdated" thing. I do enjoy the latest and greatest in technology, but as long as the GPS still gets me to my destination I am fine with it. I plan on keeping this car a good few decades, but when it's outdated by cars of that time I won't dump it just because I can buy something better.
He means the map data.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
He means the map data.
Oh, well thats easy. You buy a new DVD disk when it gets outdated. I had the same disk for a good few years now, and I never had to update it.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #23
jmliptak

Drives: D
Some of the less expensive GPS systems cannot be updated, so it depends...In some places there USED to be lots of new construction and streets, so things can change, a lot depends on where you live
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #24
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmliptak View Post
Some of the less expensive GPS systems cannot be updated, so it depends...In some places there USED to be lots of new construction and streets, so things can change, a lot depends on where you live
In most area's that doesn't happen overnight, it takes years for those disk to become outdated. At that point you would just update the disk.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
jmliptak

Drives: D
Agreed, around me I have several now empty subdivisions that have opened in the last year, so it depends on where you are.....
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #26
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
I wouldn't assume that updated map data will always be readily available, especially with the OEM systems. Word is that resale value actually goes down if you have OEM nav, and I would guess that the "planned obsolesence" of these systems is the reason. At one point I was considering a used C6 as an alternative to the new Camaro and it seems that complaints abound about the factory nav system on the corvette forums, specifically the accuracy of the maps and the availability of updates.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #27
lafountain

Quote:
I don't get that? One of the cars my family owns is 15 years old but the tape deck still works even though cassettes are obsolete. It wasn't like when the tape deck became obsolete due to CD's and then MP3's it self destructed.

The Camaro's from the late 60's by all means are obsolete but people still drive them.

Does the US Government plan on shooting down the GPS satellites in the next couple decades? As long as the GPS satellites are still in orbit I will still be able to use the in dash system. As far as I know the GPS satellites will still be in orbit several decades from now, they been in orbit since the 70's.

My argument about the outdated stuff isn't the technology itself. My comment was in relation to the map data as someone else pointed out. After a while GM may not offer updated map information anymore and then you are stuck with "outdated" stuff. I recently took a trip back to where I lived long ago and the town itself was quite a bit different so an older GPS might not have been as useful if the company stopped providing updates.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #28
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
My argument about the outdated stuff isn't the technology itself. My comment was in relation to the map data as someone else pointed out. After a while GM may not offer updated map information anymore and then you are stuck with "outdated" stuff. I recently took a trip back to where I lived long ago and the town itself was quite a bit different so an older GPS might not have been as useful if the company stopped providing updates.
I understand now. However, that might never happen, GM is still going to need a way to store map data for it's in dash systems so I don't see why it would be so hard to continue to make them for this car. IMO if it did happen I bet some clever hackers would find a way to make their own disk.