Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Does the air scoop make a difference or not?

I did a search looking for info on the air scoop. I read that some people claim they make a difference while others say they couldn't tell any difference. I am considering this mod but only if I am sure it will make a difference. Is there any different sound with the air scoop? I know some people claimed the engine sounded much better with a CAI but I couldn't tell the difference in sound at all.

Does the air scoop make a difference in quickness, HP, etc?

Is there any difference in sound with the air scoop?

Please help me make a decision guys!

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Search for Jannetty's 2nd CAI test. He had with/without scoop results that showed a definite improvement for most intakes with the scoop.

Edit: Here it is: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
At super Chevy I was able to cut my best time to date. Cut three tenths off and the only difference in mods were TSW Nurbergrings with Nitto Invo's (and I cut worse 60's with them) and a scoop and washer bottle relocate. So I would say it helps. It's only gonna help on the top end though...as more air is moving over the car more air gets pulled into the scoop. Soooo off the line there won't be any change.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Yes it makes a difference but you won't feel the gains but you will see it in the track. IDK about most people but 2rwhp 5rwhp is not going to throw you back into your seat.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I've added a scoop and I have not seen any clear cut gains yet. We'll see in the fall. No increase in noise.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
I have the race scoop and washer bottle relocate from JRE installed. At idle hold a paper towel in from of the scoop and it'll suck the paper towel in. Quality set up! I felt no difference in power, maybe a slight increase in sound. Moving the washer bottle out of the box and adding the scoop cant help but believe the car gets much better air flow and breathes easier.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Go look in your engine compartment and imagine removing your washer bottle and see how much air is being blocked by it being there. There is no way it can't help. Again like others have said you're not going to be thrown back in your seat but it's going to help.

Here, found my pics.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Was it an easy install?
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Wasn't that hard at all IMO. Take the driver's wheel off, about 5 or 6 pop-in locks (come out with a flat blade screwdriver) to remove the inner fender well and you have all the room you need.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
greenmachinedriver

Drives: white 2010 ss and 2011 6.2 silvy
I cant see the scoop making a real difference, but the washer bottle blocking all the airflow seems to be a real problem. I bought a 10 dollar universal washer tank,relocated it to the trunk and got rid of the factory washer bottle. I also trimmed the plastic behind the grille opening like the scoop has you do to get better airflow into the filter housing. I saved some cash doing it this way. I might be better off with a scoop but who knows?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I cut two tenths off my time when I installed the scoop at the track. I had the rotofab CAI then. Its worth it for 50 bucks.
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012REDSS View Post
I cut two tenths off my time when I installed the scoop at the track. I had the rotofab CAI then. Its worth it for 50 bucks.
Where did you find it for $50?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
I thought the CAI gave it a deeper sound back when i did it, long before all my other mods. As for the scoop/washer bottle relocation, it was easy to install and it definately felt like it made a difference via my BUTT DYNO!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I did a search looking for info on the air scoop. I read that some people claim they make a difference while others say they couldn't tell any difference. I am considering this mod but only if I am sure it will make a difference. Is there any different sound with the air scoop? I know some people claimed the engine sounded much better with a CAI but I couldn't tell the difference in sound at all.

Does the air scoop make a difference in quickness, HP, etc?

Is there any difference in sound with the air scoop?

Please help me make a decision guys!

Russ
Which air scoop are you reffereing too? If you mean something like this one from APEX pictured below... my thought is this... how can cool fresh air ever be a bad thing for an engine whether you are NA or blown.

I installed this one on mine and for the money and the ease instalation I felt it was well worth it. The stock washer bottle really blocks a considerable abount of air flow.

Here are the pics from my install after I made the cut:

Here is looking down into the CAI:

A lot of people suggest using a dremil rotory tool to do this job which will work, but I found this to be even better and a much much cleaner cut.