Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza66mo View Post

When we were in high school, we built up our cars and they were very fast. Drum brakes, no shoulder belts (some didn't even have lap belts), unsafe modifications, limited safety restrictions, lousy roads... the list goes on but I think you get my drift. Some of our friends got hurt and killed in these cars.
This much is true even today. The tuner culture in a sense is a reinvention of the old hot-rod culture.. but with computers instead of 3/4 drives. I mean do you baby boomers remember the guys posing with a hot 6 banger version of a Mustang/Camaro but tried to make it look like an SS/Cobra?

Heck the Clone culture could be considered a genesis of sorts. I'm saying that kids are going to do the same thing: Make that car faster than stock, and have a helluva lot of fun doing it. And I think the Mustang and Camaro are just the perfect cars to come out at this time.. All the kids want the Supra.. but when they hop into a new Ecoboost Mustang or LLT Camaro;

'Screw Toyboata..'

As for the 16 year old NJ Guido with the 2SS/RS with fake Z/28 badges.. That's all I have an issue with.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I do have gripes with spoiled kids who get handed what they want, but i'll agree with some posts. If they've worked hard and had their mind set on something like a car, then they deserve to get it! If these "kids" were determined to get a car and they got it, can you imagine what good they'll do for the world?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Because kids should be given nice things that they don't earn. Until THEY pay for the car they won't give a shit. I know I didn't. I can think of two people in high school who had Camaros and both of them wrecked them. One because she was trying to pass someone on a curve.

Prostock69 nailed it on the head (no pun intended) when he/she mentioned the frontal lobe and not weighing consequences. Hell, I was well into my twenties at least before I started using mine.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
VR Code R6P

Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
I told my kids when they drove my 327 hp Firehawk or 400 hp GTO, "that with great power, comes great responsibility". They always did just that, respected it.

I believe more kids will be hurt by not paying attention, (too many friends, the radio, the iPod, the cell phone, being tired, road conditions), than because a lot of horespower.

More kids do need to learn to push on the gas and brakes like there was an raw egg on the pedals, especially when driving on gravel, mud, and snow.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Horse power isn't the only concern with a teenager. A lot depends on the kid's personality.

Take my 19 year old daughter for example. Very responsible smart kid - attending university on a AFROTC scholarship and, using her own money, paid for 50% of her '09 Honda Fit Sport (5 spd). She got busted going 96 mph uphill! Good for a criminal speeding ticket and nearly lost her scholarship.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrock25 View Post
Hey man, I'll be 20 in Oct. Have a job, and buying/paying for a 1SS myself, gas, insurance the works! If I have to pay for everything I'm getting what I want!
Now that's the way to do it!

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
JUSTINASS

Drives: 00 SS / 10 2SS RS RJT
Quote:
I've been reading a few threads about very young kids getting a new Camaro. There seems to be a lot of us old timers criticizing these youngsters for getting a muscle car. I for one am happy that these kids can enjoy such a priveledge. Here's why:

When we were in high school, we built up our cars and they were very fast. Drum brakes, no shoulder belts (some didn't even have lap belts), unsafe modifications, limited safety restrictions, lousy roads... the list goes on but I think you get my drift. Some of our friends got hurt and killed in these cars.

The new Camaro is a heck of a lot safer than some of the monsters we used to "drive" (I should say hot rod). I say let the next generation of hot rodders have a Camaro and encourage them to learn how to be safer than we were in high school.

IMHO

Nice Corvair...
JUSTINASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
I got a new corvette when I turned 16...I just had to cover insurance and gas. I turned out pretty well if you ask me. No my car didnt get keyed up..no I didnt wreck it..my daughter could have any car of her choosing(under 30k) when she turns 16 this october..she decided she wanted a mini-cooper..Hopefully my son will make a better choice when he turns 16..lol
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #23
monza66mo
Driving daily

Drives: '17 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTINASS View Post
Nice Corvair...
Thanks! That's my "baby."
Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #24
Grimmjow
6th Espada

Drives: 05 Mustang (Screaming Yellow)
Oh wouldn't it be so nice to just grow up and tell mommy/daddy that they want a nice brand new 2SS as their first car. Nah i'm not jealous, but it's not showing them the true meaning of a dollar when you're handing them top of the line. Give em a clunker! To each their own though. They're more than welcome to spoil their kids rather than have them work for it. In most cases it's probably not the kids faults anywho. Especially when reading about the post where people had vettes and bmw's and porches' in their student parking area. I think parents want to show other parents how big their wallets are.

To each their own tho.
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #25
Scooter

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I've been reading a few threads about very young kids getting a new Camaro. There seems to be a lot of us old timers criticizing these youngsters for getting a muscle car. I for one am happy that these kids can enjoy such a priveledge. Here's why:

The new Camaro is a heck of a lot safer than some of the monsters we used to "drive" (I should say hot rod). I say let the next generation of hot rodders have a Camaro and encourage them to learn how to be safer than we were in high school.

IMHO
Well said!!!!
Thank You
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
DRK

Drives: 2007 Harley Davidson F-250
My dad used me turning 16 as an excuse to buy a new truck and hand down his POS 91 Dodge Dakota. He used that excuse again for the 2002 Silverado he bought when I turned 16 for when I went to college. I only got the Silverado because I was going to college on a full scholarship.

I'll probably do the same deal with my kids, they'll get a basic car when they turn 16 and a much nicer car when they go to college if they secure a significant amount of scholarship money. Paying for their education is much better than paying for their car IMO.
DRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #27
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Well, I'm getting the V6 manual. It's a lot of car, I admit that. I know it will take great responsibility, and I'm up to the task.

P.S. I'm 17.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #28
len56

Drives: 2010, or 2011 Yellow Camaro2LT
I'm getting the V6, I don't want 426 HP in my first car :eek:

Plus it's cheaper so I don't have work as long XD

16 Right Here.
len56 is offline   Reply With Quote