Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #617
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Cool thanks for the clarification on the transmission ratios. I'm curious then why bother? The overall gearing in both cars remains nearly unchanged.
That assumes my math is correct. I think overall it is, but I would like someone to double check it.

Quote:
The gearing ends up nearly the same except for 4th gear will benefit noticeably from the 3.91 gears in the back, and to a lesser extent 3rd.

I guess actually that makes sense as 3rd and 4th gear are geared a little bit lower than an SS, because you will probably spend most of the time on road course in those two gears... I can especially see the lower ratio helping out in 4th where you would likely be when blasting down a straight. The rest of the ratios remain the same (an nearly identical for 5th a 6th for cruising).
It does make sense and personally for the cars intention I think they did an excellent job on the transmission. I would not have been as happy if they just slapped a 3.91 in there and kept the ratios the same. It would have sacrificed fuel economy and maybe even driveability in certain gears.

The first 1-4 (even 1-3) gears are acceleration gears. The overdrive 5-6 gears are just there for fuel sipper mode. For the most part that's their job in life.

I agree with your assesement and it's really nice that when this car goes back on the street and you're on a long road trip you still have the same rpm and speed in 5th and 6th so you don't have to sacrifice fuel economy or rev out the engine to cruise.

I just have to say again. I'm really happy with that they did considering this is intended to be a street/track car. Who wants to be on the expressway revving out the engine on a road trip especially since you will not be using 5th or 6th on a track.

Final drive ratios of 3.91 aren't always as big as they seem. It also depends on the wheel/tire size and ratios in the tranmission. The Challenger (slightly different transmission ratios) has 3.91 final drive too, but with similar gearing to this so at 60 mph in top gear the engine is spinning at around 1400 rpm. The camaro ss with 3.45 final drive in top gear at 60 mph is also spinning at around 1400 rpm and the 1LE package with 3.91 final drive in top gear at 60 mph will still be spinning at 1400 rpm.

The mustang, on the other hand, with the optional 3.73 final drive ratio (in their track pack) which is taller than a 3.91 final drive is spinning at 2000 rpm at 60 mph in top gear because of transmission gearing and wheel size. So in reality is it geared shorter. I have not driven one, but the mustangs just keep the transmission ratios the same and put on a different final drive, which I have heard with a 3.73 final drive makes 1st gear too short. I would much rather have the 1LE gearing, but that's just my personal preference.

I also like the extra cooling added to the transmission. I am just curious if cooling and gear ratios are the only changes or if there are other changes that make the transmission beefier. Does anyone know? Can they even be revealed at this time?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #618
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
I concur, and the more I think about it the more I think it was an overall pretty clever solution and simple to implement too.

I've done gear swaps on cars before, like throwing in 4.10 s for instance over 3.55s, and when you do that it affects all gears as you mentioned... When for my purposes I also really only needed the lower gearing in 3rd and 4th gears as 1st gear ended up being too short for the street, and my 5th overdrive gear suffered as well.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #619
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
So they teased me with the SSX Concept and this is what they came up with? Who are they marketing this car to? I am sure I will see some around when the're available. I'll see them in Mall Parking lots on Saturday Night with the owner relaxed in a lawn chair next to it. If you are thinking of waiting to buy a 1LE to be able to take a Camaro out on the track, don't waste your time or money. Go buy a 2010 M6 SS, invest the difference in price up to 40K and you would eat this ILE for a lite bedtime snack.
I feel like a kid at christmas who opened his present to find a pair of freakin' sox!
OK - I don't mean to sound harsh..........

But let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying:

You've driven the 1LE and a 2012 SS back to back -- right?

(...and the answer is "Wrong!".......)

Again - not to be harsh -- ......but.........

--Perhaps you should consider waiting to drive the 1LE prior to making such pronouncements.

(by the way - the SSX really had nothing to do with the 1LE -- other than that they both have "Camaro" on them and they both share similar wheels...)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #620
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaricopa View Post
I feel like a kid at christmas who opened his present to find a pair of freakin' sox!
Maybe NOT Ronnie SOX...maybe more like RONNIE FELLOWS...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #621
cbass

Quote:
OK - I don't mean to sound harsh..........

But let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying:

You've driven the 1LE and a 2012 SS back to back -- right?
I wouldn't let it get to you. I know how hard it is to give your best effort on something and have people rip it up, but that's just the harshness of people. Someone will complain about something. The fuel fill hole is on the wrong side, the car is too blacked out, the car is not blacked out enough, etc. Just human nature. I always tell myself if we weren't constantly unhappy/unsatisfied we would probably still be living in trees and eating termites instead of driving camaros.

If I wanted to I could find something I don't like either, but then no car will ever be perfect for you unless you build it yourself. That's what modifications are for. You take the closest you like and change what you dont. You did a good enough job to get my money. I am just trying to decide which one is right for me at this point.

So thank you GM and excellent job from me. For what it's worth.

Would I like 450 or 460 hp instead of 426 and a 100 lbs weight reduction? Hell ya, but I understand the constraints you are working under. As it stands now, when you look at the quality of components you get with the camaro you are actually getting a good deal when you look at the competition of the Challenger and Mustang. Although I like the competition too. If I had the money I would buy all three, but unfortunately I have to choose just one and at this point the camaro fits me best. :(

Last edited by cbass; 03-30-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #622
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
1LE Package

This is really good news, I was hoping for a different hood configuration such as Ram air or something different that defines the package more however this is really good for folks that can't afford a ZL1.
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #623
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Pish posh, I'm getting mine next summer.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #624
cbass

And do we have any choice on the black hood? If you get 1LE you automatically get matte black hood?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #625
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
And do we have any choice on the black hood? If you get 1LE you automatically get matte black hood?
#1 No. #2 Yes. And splitter and spoiler as well
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #626
cbass

Quote:
#1 No. #2 Yes. And splitter and spoiler as well
Can you get another hood painted the same color as the car from GM and have it match factory paint? Or if you want to change it, then you will have to get it painted?
Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #627
garcmol

Quote:
Can you get another hood painted the same color as the car from GM and have it match factory paint? Or if you want to change it, then you will have to get it painted?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #628
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Chevy isn't really marketing this car for outright acceleration this car optimized for a road course. Adding20-50 hp is not going to improve road course performance that much.
But improving the suspension and mounting those good years on it will help waaaay more and increase the fun factor.
When I take my GTO on the Tail of the Dragon, I have never wished for more power. Not once. What i do want is less body roll, understeer and weight transfer.
Sounds like the 1LE might be in my future.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #629
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Not all road courses are tight. Some have longer straights which would benefit higher horsepower cars.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #630
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:

The information so far says that the hood is wrapped. If that's true, you might be able to remove the wrap and have factory paint underneath. Just a thought...
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, 1le camaro, 1le forum, camaro 1le, camaro 1le forum, camaro performance package, camaro track pack, camaro track package, where's our z/28?