Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Airaid Filters

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Exclamation AIRAID Dyno Test & Videos For 3.6L Camaro

Gentleman,

At the request of Camaro5 forum and its members, we have re-tested our AIRAID Intake system to address some myths and misconceptions that have been posted about our Intake system.

Myth # 1: The AIRAID Intake system on the 3.6L Camaro “loses” or “Lost 20HP”.

Fact # 1: The AIRAID Intake system does in fact add additional horsepower and Torque and does not “Lose” any power.

Myth # 2: The AIRAID Intake System “Requires A Tune” to see any HP or TQ gains.

Fact # 2: As you can see again with our Testing, the AIRAID does not require any tuning at all to achieve HP & TQ gains.

2010 Camaro 3.6L V6 OEM Intake system, Hood Closed

We ran a baseline test with the OEM Intake system on a stock Camaro with no other modifications. This is documented as Run 1. We saw 269HP & 262 ft-lbs of torque with average AFR of 12.3. As you can see no tricks, gimmicks, or tuning was done to this vehicle.

2010 Camaro 3.6L V6, AIRAID Intake System, Hood Closed

Next we installed our Airaid intake system on the same vehicle with the Hood Closed and no other modifications. Engine temp was brought up to 200degrees exactly the same as run 1. We saw 275HP & 268 ft-lbs of torque with average AFR of 12.7. This is documented as Run 2. Please refer to Myth 1, No loss in power was observed at any part of the RPM Range. No custom tuning was performed to achieve these dyno results. Typically custom tuning is a means to extract additional hp over and above typical gains of a CAI, other modifications or to address unique issues. Issues can be in the form of a unique combination of modifications.

2010 Camaro 3.6L V6, AIRAID Intake System, Hood Open

Finally, to satisfy everybody’s curiosity we ran a duplicate test like run 2, except with the hood open. This is documented as Run 3. We saw 276HP & 266Ft.lbs of torque with average AFR 12.6. As you can see the differences were marginal at best for this 3.6L Camaro. Please keep in mind the Dyno does not duplicate the actual driving environment and comparing the hood open to hood closed does not simulate real world driving conditions. Our Dyno tests and Videos document that the difference we saw between having the hood open to closed showed a 1hp and 2ft-lb of torque difference which is within the accuracy of the Mustang Dyno.

2010 3.6L Camaro Dyno Sheet

As you can see with the Dyno sheet, the AIRAID makes a nice steady gain throughout the RPM band, and you can also see there is no “Loss” in power at all. Please also make a note of how similar the gains are with the hood open and closed.

The AIRAID showed a gain of 6hp & 6ft-lbs of torque with the hood closed, and 7hp & 4ft-lb of torque with the hood open over the OEM intake system on this particular 2010 Camaro 3.6L. You can also see that the AIRAID does not run quite as rich as the OEM intake system, and the AFR averages are right in line.

Please keep in mind 2 things here, 1 is that even though this particular 3.6L Camaro did make less HP & TQ than our original car that we used for development, that is perfectly normal as all vehicles are going to vary. A Dyno is not a number that should be etched in stone, it’s a rough estimate of what one vehicle did on that given day. The 2nd thing here and most important is that the AIRAID did not show a loss of power in any of our tests.

Please also understand that a “Dyno” is not the same as actually driving on the street and it does not represent “Real world conditions”, and even if a given product shows a higher or lower dyno number does not translate into how it will actually perform on the street in a real world environment.

Thanks,
David
Airaid Filters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
nice to see #'s finally!!

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
269hp stock? That seems really high. What am I missing here? Regardless, your results do indeed show an increase.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
LadyinBlue

Drives: 260HP/242TQ
Thanks, David! Now that Airaid that's been decorating my dining room since Christmas will be installed :-)
LadyinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
269hp stock? That seems really high. What am I missing here? Regardless, your results do indeed show an increase.
Well, as you said...starting HP rating really does not matter. Stock V6 manuals have shown to be in the 260 range, but definitely not the automatics.

But again...no matter.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Airaid Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Hello BackinBlackSS/RS,

Well depending on the vehicle and brand of Dyno ie. Mustang or Dyno jet, the Stock numbers are going to vary. The mileage is another factor that comes into play with the stock numbers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyinBlue View Post
Thanks, David! Now that Airaid that's been decorating my dining room since Christmas will be installed :-)
Hello LadyinBlue,

Sounds great. I know you will be very pleased with the AIRAID Intake.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Good for you, David!
I'm happy to see that you've followed through with the testing and the release of the results, and I hope that folks can appreciate the effort involved with that.
For us folks not intimately familiar with the equipment involved, can you please let us know which parameters are monitored on that computer screen in the videos? I can see the numbers clearly, but not the labels.
Again, thank you!
-Dave
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I applaud you David and Airaid with posting your results, and after being the subject of some bashing and ridicule, you remained professional throughout!
I'm a firm believer that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

I have the Airaid as you very well know and I can tell the difference in performance. Glad to see that your numbers can put to rest some of the BS that was flowing around here. Of course, there are some who will argue with you that the sun doesn't rise in the east and set in the west, and will never be happy or satisfied with results no matter what they may read. You just can't allow yourself to be brought down to that level.

Thanks for the time, effort and results, and not rushing to please naysayers by putting anything out there that could be subjected to scrutiny.

Peace!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
So this was a stock camaro? Making the most power anyone has seen in a stock car so far. Then by adding an intake making just as much power as Mrrays camaro is making with a tune,LT,and exhaust! Seems a lil to far fetched....
Old 03-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
David,
was this particular V6 car a manual?

This is all very intersting. I'm alittle confused on the torque numbers. The engine is SAE certified 273 lb ft at the crank. Seeing 262 lb ft stock at the wheels doesn't feel right.

I am glad the AFR seems pretty good!
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Great post David. Thanks for the info.
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Airaid Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfguy View Post
Good for you, David!
I'm happy to see that you've followed through with the testing and the release of the results, and I hope that folks can appreciate the effort involved with that.
For us folks not intimately familiar with the equipment involved, can you please let us know which parameters are monitored on that computer screen in the videos? I can see the numbers clearly, but not the labels.
Again, thank you!
-Dave
Hello dagolfguy,

The main parameters the screen shows are Horsepower, Torque, Engine Temp, and AFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I applaud you David and Airaid with posting your results, and after being the subject of some bashing and ridicule, you remained professional throughout!
I'm a firm believer that if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

I have the Airaid as you very well know and I can tell the difference in performance. Glad to see that your numbers can put to rest some of the BS that was flowing around here. Of course, there are some who will argue with you that the sun doesn't rise in the east and set in the west, and will never be happy or satisfied with results no matter what they may read. You just can't allow yourself to be brought down to that level.

Thanks for the time, effort and results, and not rushing to please naysayers by putting anything out there that could be subjected to scrutiny.

Peace!
Hello chozn4service,

Thank you very much, I appreciate your honest feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
So this was a stock camaro? Making the most power anyone has seen in a stock car so far. Then by adding an intake making just as much power as Mrrays camaro is making with a tune,LT,and exhaust! Seems a lil to far fetched....
Hello devildoc,

Yes, as I stated in the above post the Camaro was 100% STOCK.

We never test vehicle with other modifications done to them. Not sure how else I can say this.

AGAIN, Not all Dyno’s are going to show the same RWHP Numbers. There is something called different brands of Chassis Dyno’s and they all show different numbers. Run your car on a Mustang and Dyno Jet and you will see different numbers.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Airaid Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
David,
was this particular V6 car a manual?

This is all very intersting. I'm alittle confused on the torque numbers. The engine is SAE certified 273 lb ft at the crank. Seeing 262 lb ft stock at the wheels doesn't feel right.

I am glad the AFR seems pretty good!
Hello esperman,

The Camaro we used for this test was a Manual.

The numbers that you see reported are from all over the country and on different types of chassis dyno's. The numbers are going to vary some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley. View Post
Great post David. Thanks for the info.
Hello marley,

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Thanks,
David