Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #43
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I had that cam and made 491 rwhp and 448 ft lbs on mustang dyno with just CAI and headers and HFC's . It does require the .675 springs though and well I had a mechanical over rev and four months later dropped a valve from broken springs on my # 2 intake, and thus a new motor. Sure the thing ran like a raped ape, it did die from my negligence though as I had many slightly bent pushrods form the over rev and I am sure I strained the springs.....

And TSP guy told me that he has only seen 2 .650 lift springs break over the years VS a lot more of the .675 spring and they sell .650 springs 20x as much. And I know the go big or stay at home mentality... but I wish I had used a little less cam with "more forgiving" spring I could still be driving fine until it bit me at some later date....

I cannot blame the spring, I did have a bad over rev saving my life on the freeway that made me and my wife shart the bed ..... missed a 5 to 3 and went 5 to 1. In hind sight I should have gone home parked it and tore the springs and pushrods off and replaced before using. Hell I even could have saved it if I had just got it towed home months later when it went to a very slight ticking and idling problem......

ALL in all though this was IMO the best cam for our engines, mines still in good shape yet to be pulled. The other cam out there the gs6x whatever is so close in PTV clearance its like a minor hiccup could take a engine out..

TSP's .639/.623 and 235/239 duration with 112 lsa was what I got and now I think they dropped .010 off the lift to .629 and maybe it allows the more forgiving springs... not the 675's. Now I decided with going with cam motion cam even though I know this cam is in good shape I even did a double break in with br30....and yes its comp cam core, but I decided to get more daily driver friendly as that's what mine is and I went with a custom grind up graded stage 3 from cam motion with its 114+4 LSA and lower lift I should be a lot more street friendly and not so much to have to always rev to 1500 ish rpm to go, and maybe even the idle may come down from 950 rpm and save a little gas. And yes I went 8620 core but still will be using driven racing br30 for a double break in and using ls30 after that for my new engine: why would I trust anything else. I put ten thousand miles or so on my cam and from what I could see it looks new still...... ( I am waiting on the tuner to clear out a z06 or two etc from a lift to drop my engine and install the new one that just got there along with all my parts I just dropped off)...yes I am in to this big bucks about 12 grand for a engine swap with better shifter, clutch, forged stroked, flowed, new everything. along with tune from Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #44
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Thanks for the story. Hopefully they'll do this grind on a cam motion core.
I'll see the strip 3, maybe 4 times a year. The twisty tracks half as much. I just want the ear-to-ear grin every time I get on it.
I'm 2/3 the way there for this build, money wise. I can get the rest in a few weeks, but with my elk hunt coming up and this hot summer, my build won't come until late September regardless, so I'm doing all the research I can.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #45
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Don't be fooled by all the different cores setting the world on fire crap. I have seen very very few camshaft core failures. The TSP lobes cant be ground on a older camshaft grinder, it takes a cnc grinder with a smaller wheel diameter to meet the grind criteria of some of the TSP lobes.

I have never taken back a TSP Comp Cams LS3 or L99 camshaft for a single cam core failure but keep in mind the TSP grinds don't use the everyday typical cam core....

Last edited by Jason 98 TA; 06-30-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #46
Bodywerks

Got it. You just answered my question I was about to ask.
One more now. The PRC 255 heads advertise milling for higher compression possible with bigger cams due to the 13° valve angle. Can the heads be milled with this cam? Also, do you guys do the milling?
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.

Last edited by Bodywerks; 06-30-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #47
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro - BIW
Yes there is plenty of room for milling with that cam and we do all of our machining in house. Here is a link to our facility so you can see what we do here. http://texas-speed.com/t-Enginebuildinfo.aspx
Lonnie@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #48
Bodywerks

Awesome. I'll be giving you guys a call when I have all the funds together, in about three weeks.