Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Long Tube Header Crazy Dyno Claims Wearing Me Out!

Am I the only one sick of all the snake oil dyno claims from companies on their headers. I'd be happy to setup the engine dyno so we can do a side by side engine dyno comparison on every header available if some of you guys want to do it. I've already done the testing on a lot of brands before, but I'd be happy to do it with a few camaro5 guys if we can get some guys that want to come down and help.

That's the best way to get a good honest side by side comparison.....
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Yes sir!
Location? Date when testing will be done?
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
Am I the only one sick of all the snake oil dyno claims from companies on their headers. I'd be happy to setup the engine dyno so we can do a side by side engine dyno comparison on every header available if some of you guys want to do it. I've already done the testing on a lot of brands before, but I'd be happy to do it with a few camaro5 guys if we can get some guys that want to come down and help.

Completely agree, Jason. I've been trying to filter how much is new-product hype and excitement Vs. true performance differences.

A side by side comparo, especially if you have Camaro5 witnesses present to give it credibility, would be of tremendous benefit to all potential customers.

I wish I were in Texas, I would be glad to participate if I could have.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
I just have up after reading countless hours and days. Between vendor bias and manufactures made up claims I was in the same place as where I started. Ultimately I just said to myself that they all make about 25-30 HP and 25-30 TQ so I basically just looked at fitment, quality, and then purchased from my vendor of choice (RDP)

In the end I just can't see how HP differences between the brands can vary so much. It's 1 7/8 tubes bent towards the rear collecting into 2.5 in or 3 if that even matters. The main thing is a straighter flow and getting rid of the restrictive cats.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I just have up after reading countless hours and days. Between vendor bias and manufactures made up claims I was in the same place as where I started. Ultimately I just said to myself that they all make about 25-30 HP and 25-30 TQ so I basically just looked at fitment, quality, and then purchased from my vendor of choice (RDP)

In the end I just can't see how HP differences between the brands can vary so much. It's 1 7/8 tubes bent towards the rear collecting into 2.5 in or 3 if that even matters. The main thing is a straighter flow and getting rid of the restrictive cats.
Agreed. I went with what my installer prefers based on quality and fitment, he's done a large number of longtubes on Gen 5 Camaros. But it wouldn't hurt to have the data, as Jason has proposed. Just hope I'll still like my longtubes after I see the data!
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
I would love to see this!! Although it wasn't necessary for me Bc I made my decision today. Placed my order a few minutes ago and 2" TSP's are on the way. Ill let y'all debate the dyno results and you can STAY TUNED for the track testing to he done on my car in a few months!

Ill prove that TSP's are best bang for the buck or not.
My goal is to be the Worlds FASTEST Bolt On Only Gen5 Camaro! These headers will put me 1 step closer!

Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I heard on the Internet that a 3" header gains 100whp!!

It would be cool to see this test done for sure!
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
This reminds me of one of the BEST threads on Camaro5. Was the Hess Motorsports claim that Bassani headers was +100 RWHP gain. If turned into a joke-a-thon. Was hilarious, as they stood behind their claims till Doc installed and paid for dyno time out of his pocket and guess what? Not even close to +100RWHP. CLASSIC
Old 08-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
Quote:

Yes, I am also sick of it. But there other claims on here that bother me just as much if not more. Ive seen quite a few sets of headers swapped and tested accurately, that were alot different from each other than just someone elses brand of 1 7/8.. And its rare to see anything huge, if so its usually down really low in the rpm range, way below peak torque and those gains I've seen came from collector extensions or a change to 4-2-1 from 4-1 headers.

Would love to see some good, honest testing under controlled conditions on a repeatable dyno. But the results wont matter to most on here who simply like to regurgitate unsubstantiated claims. The fact that you have a dog in the hunt(TSP headers) will kill the credibility of the testing with some people anyway. But I'm definitely game.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
How about a more important test. Take a baseline car and install each brand header and run it on the track. Fastest time wins. Forget this dyno nonsense. Dyno numbers don't win races.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Quote:

Although I have my headers already, I would be glad to help if it is done in the Houston area!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
How about a more important test. Take a baseline car and install each brand header and run it on the track. Fastest time wins. Forget this dyno nonsense. Dyno numbers don't win races.

to many variable with running it on a track. Yes, there is variances on a dyno as well but they don't fluctuate as badly as they would on a track.

If I lived closer I would help with this test.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Country Boy

Drives: Eh..
Quote:

Is this the same TR Jason?

Don't get all caught up in vendor claims. Wait for the real world numbers and not a bunch of dyno tricks and max effort tuning tgat you couldnt run on the street.
Sent from my S-fo'.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
No Country Boy, but I know the Jason From Thunder. I think thunder is out of business, but either way Jason left there a long time ago. He's good people though for sure!!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote