Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #239
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Approximately 17" of hose from the GTO reservoir to the clutch master cylinder.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.

Last edited by flht99b; 12-24-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: correct length
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #240
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Beautiful job Ed! 3 questions: 1) Is the plug that you used a neoprene rubber or another compound? 2) Will the heat from the manifold have any affect on the clutch fluid in that location? 3) Did you have to bleed the system because of replacing the 14" line?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #241
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Beautiful job Ed! 2 questions: 1) Is the plug that you used a neoprene rubber or another compound? 2) Will the heat from the manifold have any affect on the clutch fluid in that location?
I believe EPDM is a synthetic rubber.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #242
flht99b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Beautiful job Ed! 3 questions: 1) Is the plug that you used a neoprene rubber or another compound? 2) Will the heat from the manifold have any affect on the clutch fluid in that location? 3) Did you have to bleed the system because of replacing the 14" line?
In order, #1 the plug is EPDM which is the type of material OEM manufacturers use for brake fluid applications, #2 the GTO reservoir is farther away from the engine than it looks in the pictures, I don't expect it to see any more heat than what is already under the hood. With my infrared heat gun the GTO clutch reservoir and the stock brake master cylinder reservoir read the same temperature after a 45 minute drive, #3 no, but I plan to bleed the clutch system so that all the fluid in the clutch hydraulic system is ATE Super Blue DOT 4.
I went the route I did as I did not feel the clutch reservoir mounted by drilling mounting holes in the shock/strut tower was something GM would do and because of the tower shape, the reservoir would not sit perfectly level. I feel I obtained my goal of an OEM looking installation by mounting the reservoir on the non load bearing bracket for the positive battery cable.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.

Last edited by flht99b; 12-24-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #243
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
In order, #1 the plug is EPDM which is the type of material OEM manufacturers use for brake fluid applications, #2 the GTO reservoir is farther away from the engine than it looks in the pictures, I don't expect it to see any more heat than what is already under the hood. With my infrared heat gun the GTO clutch reservoir and the stock brake master cylinder reservoir read the same temperature after a 45 minute drive, #3 no, but I plan to bleed the clutch system so that all the fluid in the clutch hydraulic system is AET Super Blue DOT 4.
I went the route I did as I did not feel the clutch reservoir mounted by drilling mounting holes in the shock/strut tower was something GM would do and because of the tower shape, the reservoir would not sit perfectly level. I feel I obtained my goal of an OEM looking installation by mounting the reservoir on the none load bearing bracket for the positive battery cable.
Ed M.

I have a question about the brake fluid you used. How well does it perform compared to others? Other than obviously being dot4 brake fluid. I've never used super blue before.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #244
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
In order, #1 the plug is EPDM which is the type of material OEM manufacturers use for brake fluid applications, #2 the GTO reservoir is farther away from the engine than it looks in the pictures, I don't expect it to see any more heat than what is already under the hood. With my infrared heat gun the GTO clutch reservoir and the stock brake master cylinder reservoir read the same temperature after a 45 minute drive, #3 no, but I plan to bleed the clutch system so that all the fluid in the clutch hydraulic system is AET Super Blue DOT 4.
I went the route I did as I did not feel the clutch reservoir mounted by drilling mounting holes in the shock/strut tower was something GM would do and because of the tower shape, the reservoir would not sit perfectly level. I feel I obtained my goal of an OEM looking installation by mounting the reservoir on the none load bearing bracket for the positive battery cable.
Ed M.
Where did you get that hose material from? I'd be interested in buying a cap amd hose from you if you had enough for me as I really like the placement of your reservior!!! Good job

Also where did you get those nice factory looking black hose clamps?? Again, very nice, clean, factory looking install!!! Best I've seen yet!!
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:15 AM   #245
flht99b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
I have a question about the brake fluid you used. How well does it perform compared to others? Other than obviously being dot4 brake fluid. I've never used super blue before.
The local exotic car shop which builds and road races BMW's and Porsche's uses ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 brake fluid. It is a German made product with a boiling point of 536 degrees F minimum and a wet boiling point of 388 degrees F minimum. I'm sure any performance DOT 4 brake fluid such as Wilwood or Motul would be fine. I choose the ATE Super Blue for several reasons, it is available from Tire Rack as well as locally for me, the local road race/exotic car shop uses it in their road course cars and its blue color makes it easy to see when the OEM DOT is completely flushed out.
Ed M.

Last edited by flht99b; 12-24-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #246
flht99b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
Where did you get that hose material from? I'd be interested in buying a cap amd hose from you if you had enough for me as I really like the placement of your reservior!!! Good job

Also where did you get those nice factory looking black hose clamps?? Again, very nice, clean, factory looking install!!! Best I've seen yet!!
Rich Dude, the local exotic car/road race shop had the hose, it is what they use on their race cars for remote clutch reservoir applications. I believe they purchase it from a Porsche and/or Volkswagen dealer. The factory looking hose clamps are just that, the original clamps from the OEM hose that connected the clutch slave unit at the firewall and the brake master cylinder reservoir. I have additional hose and EPDM caps and can get the mounting hardware I used from Ace Hardware if anyone is interested in a kit.
Ed M.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #247
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
flht99b, I'd be interested in the hose and EPDM plug! I'm using a rubber neoprene plug and I'm worried that it may leak through some day! I love the way you mounted it and would like to duplicate! Right now I have it tie wrapped to the batter cable as a temporary fix till a better solution came out. I think you nailed it!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #248
flht99b

Ok, how about I send a length of hose ( more than you will need ), 2 small zip ties, 2 EPDM caps ( 1 for a spare ) and the hardware I used to mount the reservoir which consists of 2 nylon spacers and 2 bolt/T nut assemblies I used to mount the reservoir ). You'll have everything you need to duplicate what I did. PM me if you are interested.
In addition you will need brake fluid of your choice, a GTO reservoir which you already have, a right angle drill to drill the 2 mounting holes and a 1/4" drill bit. You will reuse the 2 original clamps from the original hose.
If this works for you PM me.
Ed M.

Last edited by flht99b; 12-24-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #249
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Just finished the GTO remote clutch reservoir installation on my SS. The EPDM hose is used on German cars such as Porsche and Volkswagen, a 3 foot length cost me $12, I used approximately 14" for my install. The EPDM cap for the brake master cylinder reservoir is from McMaster-Carr ( I have 49 of them left if anyone is looking for them ). The mounting hardware came from Ace Hardware, it is a special blind style screw and internally thread nut assembly with a shaft similar to a blind nut. DOT 4 brake fluid is ATE Super Blue. As you can see I choose a different mounting location than others.
Ed M.
Very Nice!

Sure would be nice if we could find someone selling that hose material an plug online.

Your setup is nice enough that I just might have to pull mine off the shock tower and do this. I need to come up with the materials first.

So.....who is going to come up with a kit that has the resivoir, EPDM hose and clamp?

Question for Ed....because you removed the factory hose off the firewall did you have to bleed the clutch or doing anything special there?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #250
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Ok, how about I send a length of hose ( more than you will need ), 2 small zip ties, 2 EPDM caps ( 1 for a spare ) and the hardware I used to mount the reservoir which consists of 2 nylon spacers and 2 bolt/T nut assemblies I used to mount the reservoir ). You'll have everything you need to duplicate what I did. How's $26 shipped sound ?
In addition you will need brake fluid of your choice, a GTO reservoir which you already have, a right angle drill to drill the 2 mounting holes and a 1/4" drill bit. You will reuse the 2 original clamps from the original hose.
If this works for you PM me and I'll send you my PayPal address.
Ed M.
I'm interested in a kit as well if your willing to sell another.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #251
flht99b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
I'm interested in a kit as well if your willing to sell another.
nak3dsnake, sent you a PM.
Ed M.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #252
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Ok, how about I send a length of hose ( more than you will need ), 2 small zip ties, 2 EPDM caps ( 1 for a spare ) and the hardware I used to mount the reservoir which consists of 2 nylon spacers and 2 bolt/T nut assemblies I used to mount the reservoir ). You'll have everything you need to duplicate what I did. PM me if you are interested.
If this works for you PM me and I'll send you my PayPal address.
Ed M.
I'm in, thanks brother!!!! PM coming your way
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote