Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Looking to buy LT headers in the next month or so but I have a couple of questions. I drive my Camaro year round and living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin how well will these headers hold up to snow and the salt? Do I need to get them coated? I would really like to get the 2" now.
They're 304 stainless so you're good to go. The only thing they'll do is turn a brownish color over time. That'd be the reason to get them coated if you didn't want the brownish color.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
They're 304 stainless so you're good to go. The only thing they'll do is turn a brownish color over time. That'd be the reason to get them coated if you didn't want the brownish color.
Awesome! Thanks!
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #31
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Awesome! Thanks!
Get em coated it will help keep them in better condition.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #32
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Don't buy these. They aren't improved for anything. They won't clear the steering column and rest DIRECTLY on the rubber boot. You need to hammer a massive dent on them if ordering the 2inch. 1 7/8 maybe be my guest but 2 inch stay away.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #33
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
Don't buy these. They aren't improved for anything. They won't clear the steering column and rest DIRECTLY on the rubber boot. You need to hammer a massive dent on them if ordering the 2inch. 1 7/8 maybe be my guest but 2 inch stay away.
I don't know if it was in the instructions or on here but I read somewhere to cut the boot off. That's what I did with mine.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #34
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I don't know if it was in the instructions or on here but I read somewhere to cut the boot off. That's what I did with mine.
Granted you get what you pay for, but damn the whole "better fit" praise they claim isn't clear. I'm probably gonna have to cut it but I rather not. It's there for a reason imagine the money GM spent on thousands of rubber boots, it serves a purpose.i just know if you're buying 2' stay away from TSP. Maybe they worked on there 1 7/8, but not the 2.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #35
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Quote:
Granted you get what you pay for, but damn the whole "better fit" praise they claim isn't clear. I'm probably gonna have to cut it but I rather not. It's there for a reason imagine the money GM spent on thousands of rubber boots, it serves a purpose.i just know if you're buying 2' stay away from TSP. Maybe they worked on there 1 7/8, but not the 2.
I'm guessing it is there to reduce vibration - but it will be so much worse if the header is rubbing and vibrating on it.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #36
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Quote:
If your so upset with the fitment, why didn't you send them back and find something you're happy with rather then beating on them with a hammer and cutting up the car?
Old 10-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #37
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yeah I see what you're saying it's just a hollow thin walled boot. To my knowledge they didn't come on the earlier models so I just did away with mine. A socket(sideways)and a hammer makes for a good dimple. After I took the boot off the knuckle was barely touching the tube so I had to make a small dimple.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #38
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
If your so upset with the fitment, why didn't you send them back and find something you're happy with rather then beating on them with a hammer and cutting up the car?
You don't have to cut the car if you beat it with a hammer, it's a choice you can cut it, or beat it not both. And if you had any idea how much of a pain it is to ship these back and wait for new ones ? If you can read it states that the "fit better claim" is a lie. You post was absolutely pointless,made zero progress except bumping this back up to where a person looking for headers that's 2' can avoid TSP.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #39
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I see what you're saying it's just a hollow thin walled boot. To my knowledge they didn't come on the earlier models so I just did away with mine. A socket(sideways)and a hammer makes for a good dimple. After I took the boot off the knuckle was barely touching the tube so I had to make a small dimple.
I'm all for bang for buck products, but just it was completely on it, I just ended up dimpling the headers real quick. I don't like the whole "new improvements" for "better fit" when they probably just added the merge spike collector or something, and the fit is still wrong. Whatever my advice for 2 go somewhere else I'm sure the 1 7/8 are great.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #40
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro - BIW
Quote:
There is no way to design the 2" to clear the rubber boot. There's just not enough real estate there. The 1-7/8" should clear no problem. The earlier models do not even have the boots. Also due to tolerance it can get close to the steering knuckle as well. Where the design change was made was in the fitment in relation to the K-member. Some cutomers were having a problem with it vibrating against the k-member. If you have put them on without running them and are not happy about removing the boot you can send them back and we will issue you a refund or we can swap you out with the 1-7/8" headers. I'm sorry that caught you by surprise. Feel free to give me a call at 512-863-0900 and we can discuss further if you like.

Thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #41
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie@Texas-Speed View Post
There is no way to design the 2" to clear the rubber boot. There's just not enough real estate there. The 1-7/8" should clear no problem. The earlier models do not even have the boots. Also due to tolerance it can get close to the steering knuckle as well. Where the design change was made was in the fitment in relation to the K-member. Some cutomers were having a problem with it vibrating against the k-member. If you have put them on without running them and are not happy about removing the boot you can send them back and we will issue you a refund or we can swap you out with the 1-7/8" headers. I'm sorry that caught you by surprise. Feel free to give me a call at 512-863-0900 and we can discuss further if you like.

Thanks,
Lonnie
To Lonnie at Texas Speed.. Good to know there are companies that still care out there and show respect to their clients. Will for sure be considering to shop here in the future just on your principles alone.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #42
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie@Texas-Speed View Post

Thanks,
Lonnie
Then advertise that when you sell it. Don't start a thread for "better design" if it isn't 100%. It shouldn't be a surprise, it wouldn't have been an issue if it was stated, but I guess that probably hurts sales. A search shows much more having an issue with the steering.