Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 02-21-2024, 07:28 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
85 or 86 Trans Am - Need background VIN check please...

I've seen this Trans Am sitting for over a year or so here locally and and not sure what year it is to be exact but looks to need lots of TLC. I contacted the business this was sitting in front of and got some info to contact who was responsible for it. Not sure how this works in the State of Florida... however there is no title or paperwork on it. They want $1k for it as it sits. I may talk them down some but curious what you all think here. Is it worth the hassle or not? Vin is in the pics and other pics below... Want to get back into another third gen and wondering if this i worth restoring? Currently it doesn't run and I'm sure there are a myriad of other issues as well... Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:50 PM   #2
Y88 TA

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS 6 Manual, 1978 Y88 TA
http://www.transamworld.com/3genvins.php

Looks like 1986 built in Norwood.
Y88 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y88 TA View Post
http://www.transamworld.com/3genvins.php

Looks like 1986 built in Norwood.

Thank you for that! I'm also looking into VIN background check on possible number of owners and history of the vehicle regarding maintenance etc... and when it was last registered etc... Any title issues of the sort as well..

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:00 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
If you’ve got any law enforcement buddies, they can get that info pretty easy.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:37 AM   #5
Indian_Mack

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 1LT
The Dept of licensing should have a process for abandoned vehicles. The land owner can file an affidavit that the vehicle has been abandoned on their property. They send a letter to the last known owner, and after a certain amount of time without response, they're granted a title for it. Then they can sell it to you.
Indian_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:34 AM   #6
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian_Mack View Post
The Dept of licensing should have a process for abandoned vehicles. The land owner can file an affidavit that the vehicle has been abandoned on their property. They send a letter to the last known owner, and after a certain amount of time without response, they're granted a title for it. Then they can sell it to you.

I’ll look into that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-22-2024, 09:55 AM   #7
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
If you can't register it , you got a great straight donor car. Especially if it's got good interior panels and pieces
Old 02-22-2024, 10:49 AM   #8
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
If you can't register it , you got a great straight donor car. Especially if it's got good interior panels and pieces
Or a great RACE car.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:27 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Thanks for all the replies. I took more pics but will post them later. Found more rust problem areas and think i would be in over my head trying to restore this car. I'm better off finding one with a title and no rust plus less problems. The under carriage looked pretty clean and no rust, just the outside panels and the drivers side inner
t top rim/lip.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:15 PM   #10
SummitWhite11

More pics I took today below....
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2024, 08:17 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Additional pics...
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2024, 09:37 AM   #12
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Seeing the additional pics, I would walk away from that car. Would take a lot of money and time to get her looking restored properly. That car would be a good "part out" car for ebay if you had the time to part it out. A lot of the little parts are like unicorns and people pay big money for them.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:08 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
Seeing the additional pics, I would walk away from that car. Would take a lot of money and time to get her looking restored properly. That car would be a good "part out" car for ebay if you had the time to part it out. A lot of the little parts are like unicorns and people pay big money for them.

I’m in agreement. I won’t touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk